Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Powder discussion.

OK, I just finished looking through 6 pages of threads and didn't see this anywhere. as you all know I'm new to reloading, but I think this thread will be benificial to all. What I'd like to see is a discussion of the various powders. What is your favorite powder, for fhat reload. Let's not just limit it to manufacturer, but let's also discuss type (ball, flake, etc). For me and the newbies, the take away will be recommendations of powders to try to find our favorite for each application, and I'm hoping experienced folks may also pick up on a powder they didn't know about, or had avoided for one reason or another.

How about it folks, think we can get some good data here? I'm looking forward to the responses.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Powder discussion.

Good thread.

For my rifles which I have many, I have been playing around with getting away from having 10 different powders and trying to find a "do all".

For plinking wit hmy mil-surp rifles (trying to be cheap because all the surplus ammo is drying up) I have been using Varget for many loads (.308, 30-06, 8mm). Pretty decent all around powder.

Have had great results with Bullseye with my .45 and .38/.357 and haven't messed around with any other pistol powders yet.

For .30 carbine I am using Accurate #9

With my hunting ammo....243 and .308.... IMR-4831
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Centre County)

Well i've tried a few different powders, but settled in on what i like fairly quickly. So far this is what i've used.

Pistol Loads
    IMR-800x, Double-Base Flake
    - Used it for my .40S&W loads, shoots nice but wished it metered better.
    Hodgdon HS-6, Single-Base Ball
    - This is my pistol powder of choice right now, 6.5-7 grains for a 180gn. round, again .40S&W. Meters extremely well. Why on earth did i buy a 8lb jug lol.
    Alliant Bullseye, Single-Base Flake?
    - I have a pound of this stuff, meters well, use it for .357mag loads. But probably will switch to using HS-6 once i finish the bullseye.
    Hodgdon TiteGroup, Single-Base Ball
    - I have a pound i want to experiment once winter is gone for developing handloads for more accurate/consistant rounds. Its supposed to be one of the best powders for consistancy.

Rifle Loads
    IMR-4064, Double-Base Extruded
    - Use for .303British rounds and .30-06 rounds once bullet weights exceed 165gn's
    - Meters OK, acceptable variances, great for the utility factor (can be used in so many different loads)
    IMR-4895, Double-Base Extruded
    - This is my primary powder, I use this for .30-06 rounds when duplicating military loads. As IMR-4895 is the same as what the gov't used during WWII its what the gas-system on the M1 Garand was designed around. I keep atleast 8lb's of the stuff on hand
    - Also used for 8mm Mauser with 150gn. rounds.
    *NOTE: Zero velocity variance when using CCI#34 NATO Spec Primers vs. Federal #210. I was surprised by that but the chronograph didnt lie.

Powders I Want to Try
    Hodgdon BL-C(2) Ball, probably double-base.
    - This is the powder used when the 7.62mm NATO round was developed. Although my choice in using this will depend on what my M1A prefers (gas system safety reasons) once I get it.
    Hodgdon H4895, Single-Base Extruded
    - It is supposed to be a better metering version of IMR's 4895, but i keep forgetting to grab a pound of the stuff when i'm at my gun shop in Clearfield.
    Hodgdon H110, Ball probably double-base
    - Between IMR/Hodgdon this is the .30 M1 Carbine powder i want to try first, as its a ball powder and doesnt require a compressed charge like extruded powders. Note: H110 is marketed as a large caliber pistol powder...

Note: i have not had the pleasure of reloading anything 5.56mm NATO, but i would imagine a good powder would be Hodgdon H335. But i'll let someone with first hand experience chime in. (i like my 30 cal. stuff too much )
    Last edited by Agent Ronin; March 8th, 2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Minor data corrections

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

This is one of those discussions that can go on and on. If you want to learn about which powders are suitable for which cartridges, in my opinion, you need to do the following.

1. Decide which cartridge you want to reload.

2. Buy a reloading manual that has data on that cartridge. My favorites over many years have been and still are - Sierra and Nosler. If you really study every cartridge in the manul you will see that certain powders repeat and are suitable for a wide range of cartridges.

3. Select the powder that seems to be the best choice and buy one can.

4. Select a median load, load some up and go shoot the rascals off the bench and see how they group.

5. For what it's worth - Rifles - I have found that IMR 4198, 4895 amd 4350 cover a serious group of cartridges from .222 thru nearly all mags. Other powders that have proven to be very versatile for me are W748, H335, Reloder 15 and Reloder 22. Basic stock pistol powders for me are - Trail Boss, AA No. 5, W296 and Unique- but I reload mostly for revolvers.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by autorim View Post
    This is one of those discussions that can go on and on. If you want to learn about which powders are suitable for which cartridges, in my opinion, you need to do the following.

1. Decide which cartridge you want to reload.

2. Buy a reloading manual that has data on that cartridge. My favorites over many years have been and still are - Sierra and Nosler. If you really study every cartridge in the manul you will see that certain powders repeat and are suitable for a wide range of cartridges.

3. Select the powder that seems to be the best choice and buy one can.

4. Select a median load, load some up and go shoot the rascals off the bench and see how they group.

5. For what it's worth - Rifles - I have found that IMR 4198, 4895 amd 4350 cover a serious group of cartridges from .222 thru nearly all mags. Other powders that have proven to be very versatile for me are W748, H335, Reloder 15 and Reloder 22. Basic stock pistol powders for me are - Trail Boss, AA No. 5, W296 and Unique- but I reload mostly for revolvers.
    Autorim has a point. No one powder is good for everything and no one brand of powder is good for everything, but if you use a reloading manual - you can decide on which powder to use.

I use all brands of number powder IMR in my rifle cartridges and High score 700X in my shotgun shells.

3031 in small case rifle
    4350 in everything from 270 - 300 Winchester Mag.
    4320 and 4350 are very similiar in their properities and give almost equal results.
    4895 and 4064 only when the application calls for it.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by autorim View Post
    That's the idea of the thread. Exchange of Ideas and oppinions. I know what the manuals, and websites I've been reading say. I've seen the data and vendor recommendations. I have ideas I want to try. BUT, and that's a big BUT, I never rely on vendor stats and promises. Granted, this is a subject where vendors have scientific proof to back up thier stats, that' doens't leave loopholes and real-world experience out in the cold. To that end I envision this thread a spitited lively discussion, just not as bad as which is better the 9mm, or .45.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    That's the idea of the thread. Exchange of Ideas and oppinions. I know what the manuals, and websites I've been reading say. I've seen the data and vendor recommendations. I have ideas I want to try. BUT, and that's a big BUT, I never rely on vendor stats and promises. Granted, this is a subject where vendors have scientific proof to back up thier stats, that' doens't leave loopholes and real-world experience out in the cold. To that end I envision this thread a spitited lively discussion, just not as bad as which is better the 9mm, or .45.
    Yea, this is defiently one of those opinion A vs. opinion B threads. But i agree with theshadow here. Besides it is nice to see what fellow reloaders keep on their benches, that in itself can be very helpful for those just starting since there is so many choices in smokeless powder these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

If you do not want to trust the vendor data, buy a chronograph ($100) and collect the data for yourself. Also helpful for very accurate ballistics tables of your handloads. There is also pressure measuring equipment (>$350) if you want more than the maximum loads offer. But you go there at your own risk.

As for powders, I have used the following:
    .223 - AA 2230, AA2520 and Reloader 15
    .30-06 - H4350 and Reloader 15

Handgun (.40 S&W, .45 ACP, .357 Sig & .357 Mag)
    Power Pistol
    Winchester Super Field
    Bullseye
    800-X
    Blue Dot

I have had good results with all of them.

TRUST. That is why I rely on Sierra and Nosler. They are vendors, but they are BULLET VENDORS. I have found their manual to be accurate and reliable. In other manuals, I have found typos and inaccurate cartridge drawings. If the editing is done poorly, it makes me want to question the other data. I have never found that with Sierra or Nosler.

I also own and use an Oehler chronograph so I have checked the accuracy of the reloads which can be a real eye opener.

I was working on the bench one day and between shooting periods, the printer started printing. I looked up and a butterfly had flown betweet two screens - 15 fps.

In reloading, you must use your own GOOD judgment based on accurate information from many sources accumulated over a long period of time.

Be careful and don't blow your hand off or put your eye out.

(Lebanon County)

I'm partial to Hodgdon and IMR powders. I started with IMR by recommendation when I started reloading and I was satisfied with the results so I stuck with it. I'm satisfied with the way extruded powder meters, with the exception of IMR 4064. For some reason it doesn't seem to meter well for me in either of my powder measures. In my opinion, Hodgdon is very similar to IMR in the way it meters and the consistent results I get.

"(IMR has been the mainstay of numerous handloaders for many years. The IMR brand product names remain and are now supplied by Hodgdon. “IMR is manufactured in the same plant with exacting performance criteria and quality assurance standards that Hodgdon users have come to expect,” said Tom Shepherd, President of Hodgdon)".

I've tried others and not been dissappointed, and like the way ball powder meters, but I always come back to IMR and Hodgdon. I guess that's where my comfort zone is.

Use caution with any load you try!
    Double check manufacturers load data before you load any recipe, even if you get the recipe from someone you know and trust, your life could depend on it!!
    Use more than one reference to double check the data.
    Reduce starting loads by 10% and work up from there.

That being said:

For 22 Hornet and .357 Magnum I found that Hodgdon Lil'Gun is awesome!
    (Originally made for .410 shotgun, but proved to be excellent for a few other applications).
    Since I started using it, I haven't thought of switching back to anything else I've ever tried.
    I use 13 grains of Lil'Gun with 40 gr. and 45 gr. bullets in the Hornet.
    For the .357 Magnum I like 18 grains of Lil'Gun with a 158 grain bullet.
    Lots of bang, excellent accuracy and low pressure with both cartridges.
    I haven't tried it in .44 Magnum yet, but I'm going to.

For .222 and .223, I like IMR 4198 or Hodgdon Varget, but I won't hesitate to use IMR 4320, 4895 or Hodgdon 4198 or 4895.

For .243 Win. .260 Rem and 6.5X55 Swede, I like IMR 4064, but will also use IMR 4320, 4350, 4895 , Hodgdon 4895 or Varget.

I don't reload for any rifle cartridges bigger than 6.5X55 Swede.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast