Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 57
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Radnor, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    859
    Rep Power
    3001097

    Default Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    I was in my local LGS picking something up. Was chatting with the clerk who told me that after several Asian people have been assaulted publicly in recent days, there has been an influx of Asian customers wishing to purchase firearms. The problem is that those whose English skills are somewhat shaky have been stymied by the fact that the form 4473 is available in English and Spanish but not any other language. I would think that this is a discriminatory practice. Anyone out there have a suggestion or solution to the problem?
    2020, the year of endless suck

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    27,388
    Rep Power
    21474877

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Learn English.
    (Pgh) PAFOA GROUP SHOOT * Sat June 20th * ALL WELCOME (click 4 info)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    2,730
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I was in my local LGS picking something up. Was chatting with the clerk who told me that after several Asian people have been assaulted publicly in recent days, there has been an influx of Asian customers wishing to purchase firearms. The problem is that those whose English skills are somewhat shaky have been stymied by the fact that the form 4473 is available in English and Spanish but not any other language. I would think that this is a discriminatory practice. Anyone out there have a suggestion or solution to the problem?
    The first LGS that can figure out a way to help them translate the form will get a lot of business.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    27,388
    Rep Power
    21474877

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    We have a new associate at work who has finally wrapped up her computer training prior to beginning work in her department.
    She's Chinese and had been using the online interpreter to follow along with the training. (you listen with headphones (English or whatever language you need) as you follow what's on the monitor)
    She told me it was difficult because the languages are so different that many things have no direct translation into Mandarin, so it slowed her down.
    She'll do OK though - she's already shown herself to be a much better worker than a lot of the people there.

    Interesting - I never once thought "CORONAVIRUS!!!" when seeing her, and talking to her.
    My inner racist must be broken. Gotta see someone about that.
    (Pgh) PAFOA GROUP SHOOT * Sat June 20th * ALL WELCOME (click 4 info)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Posts
    5,123
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    We have a new associate at work who has finally wrapped up her computer training prior to beginning work in her department.
    She's Chinese and had been using the online interpreter to follow along with the training. (you listen with headphones (English or whatever language you need) as you follow what's on the monitor)
    She told me it was difficult because the languages are so different that many things have no direct translation into Mandarin, so it slowed her down.
    She'll do OK though - she's already shown herself to be a much better worker than a lot of the people there.

    Interesting - I never once thought "CORONAVIRUS!!!" when seeing her, and talking to her.
    My inner racist must be broken. Gotta see someone about that.
    When reading that, I thought "CORORAVIRUS".

    Ra ra ra ra ra...ra ra ra ra.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,755
    Rep Power
    21474852

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    It would take time and patience...... and maybe a premium, but possibly typing the English version into google translate would allow them to understand each question.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=tran...&client=safari
    Proof Armed citizens make a difference. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=316012

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the can, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,280
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    There are cell phone apps you can talk to that speak back the translation, I have used them to have conversations in Chinese etc.

    When my girlfriend yells at me in Korean while waving a kitchen knife, I don't really need a translation to know she is threatening to kill me...
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bucks, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,733
    Rep Power
    21474862

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    The first LGS that can figure out a way to help them translate the form will get a lot of business.
    I would not recommend this. The first customer who gets the form wrong and is criminally prosecuted, will point the finger at the translated questions, and the shop that offered the translation.

    Smart gun shop employees do NOT offer assistance in answering the questions. These are mostly legal questions, some are factual with legal boundaries. You don't want to be a co-defendant in a civil suit for legal malpractice, or get caught in the middle of a criminal prosecution when your customer insists that "the clerk told me to say 'no', so I did."
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    There's merit to carrying your backup mag in a backup gun.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    NA, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    346
    Rep Power
    21474838

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Learn English.
    Winner

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Dickson City, Pennsylvania
    (Lackawanna County)
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,724
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Learn English.



    Politics is war by other means.-qmcorps

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 28th, 2013, 11:40 AM
  2. Interesting observation. # of OC threads V CC threads
    By Pa. Patriot in forum Open Carry
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: April 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
  3. Interesting Good Friday observation
    By Atomic Dog in forum General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2008, 05:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •