Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,764
    Rep Power
    21474852

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    If you can't speak, write and understand english, no gun for you.
    I can't agree with this. The 2nd enumerates natural rights. And pro 2nd supporters putting limits on the 2nd hurts us all by making it easier to put other limits on the 2nd. Neither the federal or state constitution say the right to a firearm unless you don't speak English......
    Last edited by internet troll; March 7th, 2020 at 01:25 PM.
    Proof Armed citizens make a difference. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=316012

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)
    Age
    67
    Posts
    5,143
    Rep Power
    21474855

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Agreed.

    However, for the short term, could they not just bring a trusted friend fluent in English and Chinese to help them? Anything that gets more good people armed is a win for me.
    This is allowed. From the 4473, Section A instructions:

    The transferee/buyer must personally complete Section A of this form and certify (sign) tha the answers are true, correct and complete. However, if the transfree/buyer is unable to read and/or write, the answers (other than the signature) may be completed by another person, excluding the transferor/seller. Two persons (other than the transferor/seller) must then sign as a witness to the transferee's/buyers answers and signature/certification in question 14...
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SEPA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Age
    73
    Posts
    923
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I can't agree with this. The 2nd enumerates natural rights. And pro 2nd supporters putting limits on the 2nd hurts us all by making it easier to put other limits on the 2nd. Neither the federal or state constitution say the right to a firearm unless you don't speak English......
    My opinion isn't limited to firearms. Can't speak, read or understand english? No drivers license. No admission to public schools. No right to vote. No path to citizenship. No rights, period.
    It's a different world from when our grandparents came over to help build a nation. Now immigrants come here to take advantage of what they built.
    Fuck 'em.
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Richboro, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)
    Posts
    2,046
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Not sure about in other places like California but in PA just about all Chinese can read English. Many have advanced degrees and their high schools and universities in urban areas all teach English. Its because of tech and computers, everything is in English. There might be some older relatives who also moved over that can't speak English but with their usual extended families grandma would not have to purchase a firearm.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    619
    Rep Power
    2318957

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    I am sympathetic to those who want to encourage immigrants to assimilate. However, the fact that the government provides assistance to those who speak other languages when dealing with other facets of the government but not when involving the exercise of a constitutional right (ie. Right to Keep and Bear Arms) strikes me as just another gun control policy in action.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mohnton, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    6,469
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    My opinion isn't limited to firearms. Can't speak, read or understand english? No drivers license. No admission to public schools. No right to vote. No path to citizenship. No rights, period.
    It's a different world from when our grandparents came over to help build a nation. Now immigrants come here to take advantage of what they built.
    Fuck 'em.
    Puerto Rico is American possession so that is why Spanish forms are available. They are born citizens and don't have to speak English. Hawaiian language should be available and Samoan. Chinese not so much.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Age
    53
    Posts
    3,861
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I was in my local LGS picking something up. Was chatting with the clerk who told me that after several Asian people have been assaulted publicly in recent days, there has been an influx of Asian customers wishing to purchase firearms. The problem is that those whose English skills are somewhat shaky have been stymied by the fact that the form 4473 is available in English and Spanish but not any other language. I would think that this is a discriminatory practice. Anyone out there have a suggestion or solution to the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Learn English.
    Get rid of the 4473.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Middle of PA, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,586
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    If you can't speak, write and understand english, no gun for you.
    That would be my policy as well. Any business owner has the right to refuse service (unless they're gay apparently then you must bend over backwards for them), so playing it safe if you cannot understand the customer is a good policy, ESPECIALLY when the goods being sold are firearms.

    It's not discrimination, it's protecting yourself legally.
    1 Corinthians 1:10..all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glockin, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    3,043
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    This is allowed. From the 4473, Section A instructions:

    The transferee/buyer must personally complete Section A of this form and certify (sign) tha the answers are true, correct and complete. However, if the transfree/buyer is unable to read and/or write, the answers (other than the signature) may be completed by another person, excluding the transferor/seller. Two persons (other than the transferor/seller) must then sign as a witness to the transferee's/buyers answers and signature/certification in question 14...
    Thanks. Problem solved.

    Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    My opinion isn't limited to firearms. Can't speak, read or understand english? No drivers license. No admission to public schools. No right to vote. No path to citizenship. No rights, period.
    It's a different world from when our grandparents came over to help build a nation. Now immigrants come here to take advantage of what they built.
    Fuck 'em.
    I can't agree with that. It's freaking hard to learn a new language. What if they are in the process of learning English and going to night classes? You want to delay their right to self defense because of a language barrier? Just because they can't speak English doesn't mean they're stupid or unfit to own a firearm. I agree people SHOULD learn English... but again just highlighting it's not something that can always happen overnight.

    It's the same as a waiting period for an LTCF or purchasing a firearm. A right delayed is a right denied.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Get rid of the 4473.
    This also solves the problem...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Milmont Park, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: Interesting observation tied to Covid-19

    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Learn English.
    While that would be helpful......the right to keep and bear arms isnít predicated on if you can speak english or not. Much like folks that canít read and morons still get 1st Amendment rights.....
    All that is needed for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 28th, 2013, 11:40 AM
  2. Interesting observation. # of OC threads V CC threads
    By Pa. Patriot in forum Open Carry
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: April 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
  3. Interesting Good Friday observation
    By Atomic Dog in forum General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2008, 05:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •