Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Visiting nurse demands any guns be "put away" before she arrives

Think of the worst, most safety ignorant idiot you have seen on the range. Now consider that person is probably smarter than some of the folks the aides deal with on a daily basis. Would you want to administer health care with a loaded Hi-Point on the table next to someone's mouth breathing devil spawn? Yeah, put away the guns is a reasonable request. FWIW, I consider put away to include a gun in a holster on my hip underneath the tail of my shirt.
    "To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the law abiding that their rights depend not on their own conduct but, on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless."
    - Lysander Spooner

There are quite a few irrational demands that the patient could make, and claim "it's my policy". No gay nurses, no blacks, no foreign accents, no tats, no shiny shoes, no cell phones . . . whatever.

We live in a society where "tolerance" and "sensitivity" are both one-way courtesies, and the conservative half gets the dirty end of both. We are required to be tolerant of a host of offensive things, but the Lefties aren't required to tolerate our guns or our support for Trump or our desire to enforce our immigration laws. We are expected to be sensitive to their phobias, not parade our Bibles or guns or whiteness (whatever that is), but they don't have to restrain themselves from black pride or gay pride or La Raza or cop-killing chants or blatant statements of hatred for us.

I'll consider calling dudes by their preferred pronouns when they stop calling me a racist assault weapon owner and blaming me for 16 year old feral yutes shooting each other in Chicago with stolen guns.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    There's merit to carrying your backup mag in a backup gun.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I would argue that healthcare is different: and that the home nurse exists to save the hospital/ insurance company (usually UPMC or geisinger insurance) money, because it is cheaper to send a nurse then keep someone in the hospital, or have them come back to the hospital, especially since Readmissions are frequently not covered by insurance, and depending on the condition actually kick in reimbursement penalties as it shows a lack of proper initial care and patient education.
    Ive work EMS for years and work in a hospital now. Most home healthcare nurses are through contract agencies not hospitals. My next door neighbor right now has nurses round the clock at home and they are through private contract agencies. Private contract agencies set their own policies with their business. As long as they meet the criteria with the insurance company they can set their own policies. Healthcare outside of EMS and hospitals are extremely different now a days.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by KatesDad View Post
    Ive work EMS for years and work in a hospital now. Most home healthcare nurses are through contract agencies not hospitals. My next door neighbor right now has nurses round the clock at home and they are through private contract agencies. Private contract agencies set their own policies with their business. As long as they meet the criteria with the insurance company they can set their own policies. Healthcare outside of EMS and hospitals are extremely different now a days.
    With the push for home healthcare and hospitals and insurance companies Being the same, they want more control. The last decade saw hospitals dumping ambulances services. This decade see them gobbling them up wholesale. Not just so they can transfer patients from outlying hospitals (because it is now their problem as they own the small hospital) but so they can use those paramedics for community based medicine. The same is true about home nursing, it is increasingly done under the health network umbrella, with even mobile imaging and phlebotomists going to patients homes.

At least in the part of the state controlled by Geisinger. I canít speak for the train wreck that is upmc.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There are quite a few irrational demands<SNIP>

We live in a society where "tolerance" and "sensitivity" are [have become] both one-way courtesies, and the conservative half gets the dirty end of both.
    The American founders understood the benefits of 'Freedom' combined with 'Tolerance' in creating an equitable society. That concept is lost on our current society, which has been overhauled (since the 60's) by liberals/progressives. They use the original freedoms to implement oppressive and intolerant demands of those with whom they disagree, destroying the very concept of Freedom & Tolerance. The effort is decidedly Anti-American and the fallout has created massive division between The People.

While businesses have the 'legal right' to decide their policies (unless they conflict with the Newly Created Rights of The Protected Classes), business owners ought to support the American perception that 'Freedom' and 'Tolerance' provides the best methodology for helping the most number of people to Pursue, Life, Liberty and Happiness.

To do otherwise, is Anti-American thinking.

(Blair County)

i would be more afraid of dogs .

Quote Originally Posted by mmi View Post
    i would be more afraid of dogs .
    In another life, I delivered pizzas, and at one place their German Shepherd came bounding at me and his head disappeared under the pizza box, which I was holding at belly-button level, placing his 2" fangs in the general vicinity of one of my favorite body parts.

Lots of people fail to control their dogs, which, unlike guns, WILL act upon their own primal urges and take a bite out of you.

nb: That particular dog was just checking me out, but I didn't know that right away.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    There's merit to carrying your backup mag in a backup gun.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    In another life, I delivered pizzas, and at one place their German Shepherd came bounding at me and his head disappeared under the pizza box, which I was holding at belly-button level, placing his 2" fangs in the general vicinity of one of my favorite body parts.

Lots of people fail to control their dogs, which, unlike guns, WILL act upon their own primal urges and take a bite out of you.

nb: That particular dog was just checking me out, but I didn't know that right away.
    Our monster isn't shy about sniffing people's goodies either.

(Bucks County)

In 2018, I had visiting nurses for months. The company rule on pets was they needed to be locked in a room or otherwise restrained. One of the nurses was bit during a visit and that was the genesis of the rule. I later learned the nurse who got bit was my favorite. The dog had good taste. After the first few visits the only time my dog were restrained was when the nurse supervisor was visiting. Most of the nurses loved seeing and making a fuss over my him.

There was some mention about guns during the first visit/intake but I didn't pay much attention as I don't have them lying about. Later, as I got to know the nurses and I mentioned missing going to the range, several volunteered they had their own guns for self-defense. One of them had me talk with her about buying a gun and took my advice to get classes. I believe she is a range regular now.

I know lots of small businesses who encourage employees to bring their pets to work every day. I always wondered what happens if a customer or fellow employee gets bit?

"The best way to end up mediocre is via tiny compromises."

Some years back , a co-worker was helping his mom sell her home. She was old and a widow and the big house was just too much for her. Her husband was an avid outdoorsman , hunter , shooter and woodworker. The basement was nicely done with glass and wood gun display cabinets built into the walls and still had a very nice collection in them. Realtor said all the guns must go before they'd bring any prospective buyers through. Makes sense though. No need to advertise.

My co-worker really wasn't into guns , so I bought the entire collection.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast