Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default HOA Restrictions

I have a weekend place in an HOA community in the Poconos that prohibits “carrying or traveling in a motor vehicle with a loaded firearm” or “walking on any road or common area of the community with any firearm”. Two of the directors recently proposed an exception for members with an LTCF, but the motion failed. (It’s close to NYC and NJ so lots of transplants. Imagine that.)

I assume I have no 2A rights on the roads or in the common areas of a private community (correct me if I’m wrong; I’m not familiar with PA laws regulating HOA’s) but it really doesn’t impact me since the operative word in concealed carry is “concealed.” I carry always and everywhere, and nobody is the wiser. But I’m curious if the rent-a-cops that patrol the community can search me if they’re suspicious I might be carrying. (Maybe the NRA sticker on my truck gets their attention.) If I don’t have 2A rights in a private community, maybe I don’t have 4A rights either?

I’d be interested if any members have experiences with HOA’s. I’d be especially interested in Phil or Josh’s opinion.

(Chester County)

Default Re: HOA Restrictions

It's private property and you signed the agreement. I assume they have remedies for violations like fines and such. Get out your agreement and read it and then determine if you still want to live among people that have no respect for freedom.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Chester County)

Once you decide to live in a community that regulates your rights, you have no rights:

You want a different mail box post? Can't have it if it doesn't look the permitted posts in our HOA regs...

You want a 1,000 gal propane tank in your front yard? Not unless it's compliant with the HOA regs.

You want to rent out your place as an Abnb? Not unless it's compliant with HOA regs.

You want to fire off a cannon every 4th of July (and other days) for celebratory or other religious purposes? Not unless...

You want to hang your laundry in your front yard? Not unless...

You want to leave the last five vehcles you ever owned in your front yard on cinder blocks? Not unless...

Thinking about having chickens or a garden in the yard? Not unless...

Working on that dog kennel your wife always wanted? Not unless...

Think you cannot pay your HOA fees because you're so pissed that the rules are so atrocious? Not unless....

Think you have great neighbors who love their (vacation) homes? Well, just take a look around....

The only way to beat these regulations is to run for president of the HOA (may have to pay some folks off: to the landscaping contract (mow & blow), the winter plowing contract, the security guard contract, etc. - that way, you may get what what you wish so all the contractors will be on your side, but for those HOA members who don't agree, you'll also be the target with the bullseye on his back.
    - bamboomaster

(Lancaster County)

Which religion calls for the firing of cannons?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Once you decide to live in a community that regulates your rights, you have no rights:

You want a different mail box post? Can't have it if it doesn't look the permitted posts in our HOA regs...

You want a 1,000 gal propane tank in your front yard? Not unless it's compliant with the HOA regs.

You want to rent out your place as an Abnb? Not unless it's compliant with HOA regs.

You want to fire off a cannon every 4th of July (and other days) for celebratory or other religious purposes? Not unless...

You want to hang your laundry in your front yard? Not unless...

You want to leave the last five vehcles you ever owned in your front yard on cinder blocks? Not unless...

Thinking about having chickens or a garden in the yard? Not unless...

Working on that dog kennel your wife always wanted? Not unless...

Think you cannot pay your HOA fees because you're so pissed that the rules are so atrocious? Not unless....

Think you have great neighbors who love their (vacation) homes? Well, just take a look around....

The only way to beat these regulations is to run for president of the HOA (may have to pay some folks off: to the landscaping contract (mow & blow), the winter plowing contract, the security guard contract, etc. - that way, you may get what what you wish so all the contractors will be on your side, but for those HOA members who don't agree, you'll also be the target with the bullseye on his back.
    Who puts the old vehicles up on cinder blocks? That's a waste of good resources!
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

I’m sorry. I meant to preface my my post by saying spare me your shame on you lectures about buying property in an HOA community. Heard it all before. I hate communities, but if you want lakefront in the Poconos, you don’t have a choice. As I said, I pay no attention to their silly no gun rules. Fuck them. I was just looking for other’s experiences and perhaps some free legal advice, not holier than thou admonishment.

(Chester County)

The Paoli 1 Boy Scouts - Troop#1.

The fellow who took the shot was not only a BSA Troop leader for a decade and a half, but was also a tank commander in the Korean war. He obviously enjoyed the "new and improved" circa 1860's ignition system...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LMcuccczo

Yeah, the smell of sulphur is sometimes like a religion...but BSA Troop #1 has always been a religion for the troops and parents who have supported this troop. And most certainly, for their annual celebratory purposes (mostly their annual b-day celebration in June).

At the time I noticed, their old cannon, a Lisle gun (ship to ship for shooting a rope/rescue line) looked very mal-treated and was improperly primed, ignited, and otherwise un-cared for - for what I guessed were decades. I especially didn't like the sound of the barrel the last time this was fired - quite surprised that it didn't explode.

So we retired it to their historical room and brought them up to what was essentially at the time, "Internet" age where ignition principles were concerned.

Here's their replacement donated by us, a 3/4 version of a 3" Ordnance Rifle. Made to kill other cannons at distance. The lighter version still weighed in at 850 lbs...

Ft. Ross 2009 012.1.jpg
    Last edited by bamboomaster; March 1st, 2020 at 08:22 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by FBG001 View Post
    I’m sorry. I meant to preface my my post by saying spare me your shame on you lectures about buying property in an HOA community. Heard it all before. I hate communities, but if you want lakefront in the Poconos, you don’t have a choice. As I said, I pay no attention to their silly no gun rules. Fuck them. I was just looking for other’s experiences and perhaps some free legal advice, not holier than thou admonishment.
    Ok if we are past that...

Their rules are just that... Rules. Not laws. You can't be arrested on firearms charges. The only thing MAYBE that would happen if you got 'caught' is cited by local PD for trespassing. Otherwise maybe fines by the HOA.

I wouldn't let a rent-a-cop search me or my vehicle and I probably wouldn't even stop for their flashing lights. If they called PD, then different story. But I'm not dealing with a mall cop.

This is all if you somehow 'got caught', which very likely will never happen. So personally I'd continue paying no attention to these rules.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by FBG001 View Post
    When it comes to free legal advice in most cases you get exactly what you pay for. I say most cases because there are gentlemen among the forum members that will give you the good advice to come see them for more detailed information.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Dauphin County)

Rent-a-cops have the same arrest powers as an every day citizen. Meaning they can only arrest you for committing a felony that they witness. They can ask you to leave if it's private property and if you didn't it would be defiant trespass. This comes from my last 8 years of being both an unarmed and almost 5 of those years armed, rent-a-cop.
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast