Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: HOA Restrictions

Does the rule(s) covering armed while on their road system spell out the penalty? Such as multiple offenses demand that you sell your HOA-governed home?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

My wife and I were looking to move to a 55+ community in the Prescott AZ area. However, when we read the rules for the community it stated "Wearing of firearms and/or knives within the park is prohibited."

We called the management office in regards to this and were told, "Oh don't worry, if you have a concealed weapons permit and its concealed its not a big deal, we just don't want people openly carrying around the community" We informed them that they should change the wording then on their rules and regulations form to state such, they said that they would look into it. They never did, and we ended up not moving there.

My wife and I have been carrying daily for the past 35 years in 3 different states now, and it too important for us. A shame because we really wanted to move to that community.

Funny thing, both of us were told by more than a few people "just go ahead and carry concealed, no one will know". Sorry, but I'm not going to sign a contract knowing that I will be violating it on a daily basis. I am a big believer that a property owner gets to set the rules on his/her property, if I don't like them - then I won't go on their property/do business with them, etc...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by FBG001 View Post
    I’m sorry. I meant to preface my my post by saying spare me your shame on you lectures about buying property in an HOA community. Heard it all before. I hate communities, but if you want lakefront in the Poconos, you don’t have a choice. As I said, I pay no attention to their silly no gun rules. Fuck them. I was just looking for other’s experiences and perhaps some free legal advice, not holier than thou admonishment.
    So what’s the point of your post? You asked for advice, got it, then started bitching about it.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Erie County)

I have a weekend place in an HOA community in the Poconos that prohibits “carrying or traveling in a motor vehicle with a loaded firearm” or “walking on any road or common area of the community with any firearm”. Two of the directors recently proposed an exception for members with an LTCF, but the motion failed. (It’s close to NYC and NJ so lots of transplants. Imagine that.)

I assume I have no 2A rights on the roads or in the common areas of a private community (correct me if I’m wrong; I’m not familiar with PA laws regulating HOA’s) but it really doesn’t impact me since the operative word in concealed carry is “concealed.” I carry always and everywhere, and nobody is the wiser. But I’m curious if the rent-a-cops that patrol the community can search me if they’re suspicious I might be carrying. (Maybe the NRA sticker on my truck gets their attention.) If I don’t have 2A rights in a private community, maybe I don’t have 4A rights either?

I’d be interested if any members have experiences with HOA’s. I’d be especially interested in Phil or Josh’s opinion.
    Found this on a lawyer site:

The Conflict with HOAs and Residents
    When a resident has performed actions or behaves in a way counter to what HOA members prefer, it is possible another topic may rise in the meetings. This could include firing a gun outside of any type. Some of these are louder than others, and the noise pollution could affect enough persons that the action is banned when a vote is successful. However, the HOA may not ban the actual gun from the homeowner’s house. The conflict is when what the association bans is against the laws in place. If the members place a topic to remove the ability to keep a gun in the home or to ban concealed carry when the person has a permit, then this is illegal is usual circumstances. However, there could be a rule that bans open carry outside the home with others in the community observing the homeowner brandishing the gun. This may even extend to outside shooting of cans, glass and in the air.

(Pike County)

I have a weekend place in an HOA community in the Poconos that prohibits “carrying or traveling in a motor vehicle with a loaded firearm” or “walking on any road or common area of the community with any firearm”. Two of the directors recently proposed an exception for members with an LTCF, but the motion failed. (It’s close to NYC and NJ so lots of transplants. Imagine that.)

I assume I have no 2A rights on the roads or in the common areas of a private community (correct me if I’m wrong; I’m not familiar with PA laws regulating HOA’s) but it really doesn’t impact me since the operative word in concealed carry is “concealed.” I carry always and everywhere, and nobody is the wiser. But I’m curious if the rent-a-cops that patrol the community can search me if they’re suspicious I might be carrying. (Maybe the NRA sticker on my truck gets their attention.) If I don’t have 2A rights in a private community, maybe I don’t have 4A rights either?

I’d be interested if any members have experiences with HOA’s. I’d be especially interested in Phil or Josh’s opinion.

Let's stop beating 'round the bush....which community are we talking about?

(Monroe County)

Pocono HOA joke- "to keep up standards" but are always the biggest shit holes. You move into one you deserve what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Which religion calls for the firing of cannons?
    mine kind of!
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

If you move into one of those shitholes and they subsequently craft a regulation prohibiting carrying outside of your own castle, then what do you do? I have no interest in moving into what is ultimately someone else's house.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Who puts the old vehicles up on cinder blocks? That's a waste of good resources!
    I used old computer cases. they are surprisingly sturdy.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    I used old computer cases. they are surprisingly sturdy.
    And more attractive, so you can tell the HOA it is part of your landscaping.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lehigh County)

Exclamation Re: HOA Restrictions

[ATTACH=CONFIG]128348[/img]

The handyman better not open carry his tool belt exposing that deadly hammer that according to FBI statics is a killer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast