Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

I've come to the conclusion that you can't have too much clear ~3mm plastic film, it can be used to replace broken windows, seal off parts of a building or room, act as a temp.waterproof roof, etc.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    To be fair , aren't the standard 2 burner colemans about $40?
    I'd be hard pressed to spend the extra $88 for a 3rd burner.
    From 30 so years of using a 2 burner I don't think I ever had a need or want for it to have a 3rd burner.
    They do make for nice options when away from home or pit stops on the road.
    I actually used one on the back porch yesterday for cowboy coffee , I like making it there just in case I slip up and have it boil over.
    Better outside on the camp s stove than indoors on the oven.
    FWIW , I have a big cast iron griddle type of thing that may have come from wally world.
    That is a pretty worth while option if doing eggs bacon or fish.
    it's not the best tasting option for shish kabobs but it works.
    Not to mention when you want to make sandwiches and are frying meats and peppers and can even toast the buns that way too.
    Damn , now I'm hungry.
    And if you can't get your burner heat low enough ,just scooch you pot/pan to the side off the burner some.
    You may have a valid point on the 2 burners. I'll have to go look at prices!
    I have the receipt and can return it if that seems to be a better option.

From what I'm reading in reviews and by watching videos, the 3rd burner (which is sort of "rectangular) is more or less best for creating an even spread of heat across the width of a griddle surface.
    Apparently this stove was designed for a Coleman griddle made just for it, that has a drip tray and can be stored within the unit. This stove must have been offered with and without the griddle over the years. I looked them up, and the optional griddle is far too expensive - I would buy another brand to use on it.

EDIT: Yeah, basic, match-ignite 2-burner is $43.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-C...9?athbdg=L1200
    So, for $7 more, I get a 3rd burner and bush-button lighting.
    Have to think about it.
    Last edited by Emptymag; March 21st, 2022 at 01:43 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that you can't have too much clear ~3mm plastic film, it can be used to replace broken windows, seal off parts of a building or room, act as a temp.waterproof roof, etc.
    And duct tape. Good, sticky duct tape that will adhere to most things, like plastic and metal and wood. It pays to experiment with different brands, I have some 100 MPH tape that's very strong but not very sticky, and some cheap stuff that will stick to my dog's ear for 24 hours.

When you're layering plastic over your window opening, you want it to stay there.

Also, stock up on small hole washers and self-tapping small wood screws, maybe 1/2 inch long screws with Phillips slots. If the tape fails, you can screw the plastic to wood or even metal windows.

And rope & string. And lubricating oil, because of the basic Man Rules: If it moves but isn't supposed to, duct tape it or tie it. if it doesn't move but should, oil it up with WD-40 or white lithium grease.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

^^^ Gorilla tape is very strong, thick tape, but the adhesive doesn't last as long in outdoor use vs many standard duct tapes.

(Allegheny County)

Metal foil tape has great glue and doesn't fall off like duct tape.

(Allegheny County)

I've been buying a few extra canned goods each time I buy any groceries and ran out of room to put them, so I bought a larger shelving unit to accommodate all the stuff that was starting to accumulate on the floor in boxes and bags.

We had this tiny, old shelf for I guess close to 30 years now...

You could only go 3 cans deep on the old grey 30x12 shelving - 4 if you let the one in back hang partially over the edge.
    The 36x18 shelves allow 6 cans deep with an inch to spare. I wish it had more shelves, but I spaced them to be as practical as I could, with the intent to add one more shelf at the top. I can fit a small Rubbermaid or Sterilite storage bin on the bottom shelf. (two side by side should fit) The other shelves I spaced to accommodate stacking of "vegetable cans" two high - any higher and it would be too hard to get to things.

Clearly this amount of storage is "kids play" compared to a true "prepper", but it's the best I can do in the space I have to work with, and we were lucky enough for the old shelf to still fit next to the new one and not be in the way of opening the basement door. We would have gotten a wider shelving unit, but this was as large as would fit there. I haven't done any serious calculations, but we've probably tripled the amount of canned goods we can store by using both shelves.

Home Depot link to the shelving unit.
    I mentioned in another thread that the price changes regularly. (right now it's $71)
    I paid $60 shipped to store for pickup. The exact same shelf with a different brand name (both made by Edsal) is sold in stores for $149
    I should used the money saved to buy more canned goods.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    ^^^ Gorilla tape is very strong, thick tape, but the adhesive doesn't last as long in outdoor use vs many standard duct tapes.
    Yep, have an old coleman cooler, metal with a heavy plastic type bottom that was staring to crack, circa 1970's.
    Put the gorilla tape on it and only lasted a short while.
    Put it on again but this time put a layer of Bondo auto body filler over the tape. Now it's damn near indestructible.
    So I'll try to keep a can of Bondo around for whatever.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Chester County)

I'm sure that I've mentioned it earlier in this thread but I can't emphasize the importance of salt enough. Salt is super cheap now, absolutely necessary for proper metabolism and one of the very best preservatives in the world. Salt is a mineral compound, it won't rot, spoil, burn or evaporate, if kept dry it is virtually indestructible and will be here until the end of mankind.

Giant grocery stores run a deal for soups and other canned goods. This week it's chef boy r dee overstuffed raviolli and spaghetti and meatballs, 3 for $4 or $1.33 each. If you buy 20, you get 500 points. Also v8 juices 2 for $6 or $3 each, if you buy 6 you get 400 points.

You can redeem points for such things as gas points, that 900 points would get 90 cents off a gallon of gas, limit 25 gallons.

But we don't drive much these days, so we opted for the 10 piece chicken tender, 3 15oz sides, and a tray of hawaiian bread for 350 points, which normally retails for $18. We can get 2 of them for 700 points, and we'll be doing just that this week, so basically dinner for the week, and extra canned goods for the pantry, which aren't set to expire until july of 2024, a solid 2 years.

I have to say, their red skin potato salad side is incredible.

(Chester County)

I don't prep.

But I know who does and where I can jones a meal if I'm hungry.

Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast