Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Don't add more white flour, just add some extra gluten. That's all you need. The problem is the whole wheat flour doesn't have as much gluten so when the yeast starts to burp, the gasses don't get trapped inside the bread, making it more dense. You add the extra gluten to the yeast burps stay inside.
    Understood on why it doesn't rise. I've seen both ideas as a suggestion though. Adding white flour in place of some of the whole wheat since white I guess has more gluten, and also adding gluten via vital gluten. White bread flour I have. Vital gluten I'll need to get. Agree though that adding straight gluten sounds like the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    One more thing in regards to using a bread machine, it may not kneed the dough long enough to develop gluten. I had a bread machine years ago, thought it would be great, but no matter what I tried, it always turned out as a brick. I sold it on CL for $40. Ever since then I use my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook and I've never had a failure. Doing it that way allows you to keep an eye on the dough to make sure it's come together properly. Took sticky, add more flour, too dry, add more liquid. Bread machines don't really give you the ability to do that.

If you need to get dough to rise quickly, you can set your oven to 100F and turn on the light inside. When your dough is done kneeding, put into an lightly oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Stick it into your warm oven, wait a couple minutes and then turn the oven off.
    Yeah I've come across the lack of kneading as an issue also. I know my maker goes through three separate kneading cylcles at least for whole wheat. Obviously this will all be an education in process.

Appreciate your input and suggestions. I know you're old hat at these things that I'm just beginning to learn. Not saying your old mind you

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    You have surely made a terrific housewife for one lucky woman . . .
    She knows she's lucky.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

This is a warning to anyone that's going to get into canning and thinks the internet is the best source of information on how to do it. Don't follow every recipe you find on canning without double checking to make sure that it's safe. I just ran across several sites stating that you can can green beans using the water bath method. You cannot do this, if you do you'll lose your entire batch and possibly sicken or kill someone if you use it. Green beans need to be pressure canned, as is with all low acid products.

If you're unsure of how to can something, don't go looking on the internet, buy yourself the Ball Blue Book of Canning and use it. https://www.amazon.com/All-Ball-Book...5955281&sr=8-2
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Butler County)

UGA has very good canning/preserving info, too. https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/p...tions_uga.html

I've heard that UGA's "So Easy To Preserve" and the Ball books are the best ones to have. "So Easy To Preserve" is where I found a good recipe for Pumpkin Fruit Leather (under dehydrating), too.

The regular Ball Blue Book is updated every so many years. Usually they are around $10, but Amazon is charging $25.97. I've heard it is safer to avoid older canning books as outdated infomation can be dangerous. https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Boo...s%2C158&sr=1-4
    Last edited by I'm armed; July 28th, 2020 at 03:24 PM.

(Lehigh County)

I do dehydrate a number of things for storage, but for reasons such as Streaker mentions above I've always been shy about canning. I'd hate to goof it up and eat or serve something that goes bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rckeystone View Post
    I do dehydrate a number of things for storage, but for reasons such as Streaker mentions above I've always been shy about canning. I'd hate to goof it up and eat or serve something that goes bad.
    Nothing to shy away from. By a Ball book as suggested. Follow the recipe, and forget what the net says. Everything the average person needs is in the Ball Blue Book.

Prep/tip/idea for the day is be afraid, be very afraid. Prep like shit because there is a shitstorm coming.

(Berks County)

If it goes bad you'll know it, that sucked in lid will blow off after the bacteria farts.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Do you vacuum seal your product after its dried? How do you store it? What shelf life? Meats? Veg? Fruit?
    ΑΣΦ

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    Do you vacuum seal your product after its dried? How do you store it? What shelf life? Meats? Veg? Fruit?
    I do fruit quite a bit like bananas, strawberries, apples etc. After drying I put them in mason jars with O2 absorbers. I do have a vacuum sealer and will sometimes seal the jar lid that way with the jar adapter, but also with and O2 absorber in it.

If I know what I'm jarring isn't going to be there for long like banana chips (we eat those kind of quickly) then it's just the O2. The longest I've gone with eating something that was stored is a year or so. If you keep the jars in a stable cool area and they're sealed well the contents should be good for longer.

I'm planning on trying to make some hamburger (or beef) rocks. Essentially dehydrated ground beef. This I'd like to do to store away some beef for future chili or soups.

I've done frozen veggies in the past. Worked out pretty well. Planning on that again.

Page 44 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast