Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

I don't know either, but read the manual.
    That's a no-no. (Edit: I typed before looking at link. I have to look THAT one up. Never saw it before)

Perhaps the concern is that an accidental explosion INSIDE is worse than an accidental explosion OUTSIDE?

Regardless, I looked like crazy, and all other options are not rated for safe indoor usage.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Wasn't sure where to post this, so reviving this older thread.

We lost power for 3 days in West Finley Township in SW PA last week due to that ice storm and our recent purchase of a used commercial light tower ran perfectly. Paid $1,850.00 for it from a government auction site. Now I don't use this for the lights, I use it for the diesel generator in it. It ran for almost 3 days on one tank of diesel and powered almost the entire house (we shut off the water pump and switched to gravity-fed water, unplugged the downstairs chest freezer as well as the stove and dryer). This is one of the best prepping purchases I have made in a long time. Now the newer light towers don't have these oversized generators, so you want a Magnum light tower like this one.

https://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/5290311

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

I want a diesel, but that 6kw wouldn't cut it. About 6 years I bought a durostar 10k off amazon. Electric start, single 50a plug, 240v, it runs ac, furnace, all lights, everything. I have well over 2000 hours on it by now as well. I lose power excpetionally often, 5-6 times a year, and it's always for more than 24 hours. Mature trees and above ground electrical lines, pretty much anything takes my power out.

(Clarion County)

Used to be in that same situation JaySmith is talking about.
    Got a generator, transfer box, the whole 9 yards.
    Run it religiously 1/2 hr. every month, clean fuel, oil changes and all that.
    Since I got it power hasn't been out long enough to hitch it up and throw switches.
    Go figure.
    But I'm glad I have it.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    I want a diesel, but that 6kw wouldn't cut it. About 6 years I bought a durostar 10k off amazon. Electric start, single 50a plug, 240v, it runs ac, furnace, all lights, everything. I have well over 2000 hours on it by now as well. I lose power excpetionally often, 5-6 times a year, and it's always for more than 24 hours. Mature trees and above ground electrical lines, pretty much anything takes my power out.
    I wish I had a fixed diesel generator. That would be great, but the prices on them are outrageous now. I ended up with a tri-fuel model that I can plug into the house. I had a plumber run a propane line to a quick-connect outside and I installed a 30A jack to plug everything in. No transfer switch since we have two panels and that gets complicated.

I also looked at the uses light towers, but prices are way up around Delco. 6KW is less than my portable generator, but I'm sure I could get by.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
    I wish I had a fixed diesel generator. That would be great, but the prices on them are outrageous now. I ended up with a tri-fuel model that I can plug into the house. I had a plumber run a propane line to a quick-connect outside and I installed a 30A jack to plug everything in. No transfer switch since we have two panels and that gets complicated.

I also looked at the uses light towers, but prices are way up around Delco. 6KW is less than my portable generator, but I'm sure I could get by.
    Other than not being able to use the stove and dryer, life was normal for those 3 days with this 6KW light tower. I just bought mine on 11/11/2021 and was happy with the price. Had to replace the battery and then did a oil change and packed grease in wheel bearings, but otherwise it was ready to roll from day one. Also had to replace one lightbulb. Plus the added bonus we can use it at the range for night shoots.

Like I said in an earlier post, the new ones coming out don't have these oversized generators, so if you ever thought about owning one, now's a good time. And last bit of advice, if you buy from www.ironplanet.com make sure the item has a "Protected by IronClad Assurance" and they post a video of them starting it. Another option of course is to just buy an generator on ironplanet.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Berks County)

I haven't been reading this thread but I may start. As posted elsewhere, my neighbor is telling me that cessation of work is coming soon and I'd best be prepared.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Other than not being able to use the stove and dryer, life was normal for those 3 days with this 6KW light tower. I just bought mine on 11/11/2021 and was happy with the price. Had to replace the battery and then did a oil change and packed grease in wheel bearings, but otherwise it was ready to roll from day one. Also had to replace one lightbulb. Plus the added bonus we can use it at the range for night shoots.

Like I said in an earlier post, the new ones coming out don't have these oversized generators, so if you ever thought about owning one, now's a good time. And last bit of advice, if you buy from www.ironplanet.com make sure the item has a "Protected by IronClad Assurance" and they post a video of them starting it. Another option of course is to just buy an generator on ironplanet.
    That might be a good idea right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post

I want a fixed diesel generator. My generator shed is next to my oil tank because I built it with the intention of piping diesel right into it so I'd have a 250 gallon fuel tank. But diesel is expensive, I got my 10k gasser for $450 and it's held up very well.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    I want a fixed diesel generator. My generator shed is next to my oil tank because I built it with the intention of piping diesel right into it so I'd have a 250 gallon fuel tank. But diesel is expensive, I got my 10k gasser for $450 and it's held up very well.
    The red stuff is substantially cheaper and is the same as the stuff that isn't red, other than the dye.

Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast