Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You cannot follow a normal AP/BF recipe and use that as a substitute. You'll have to find recipes specific to that flour. Chances are you're going to have to either mix it with some AP/BF or add gluten to it.
    The maker has a specific recipe on their website for the flour. My plan is to follow that and see what happens. It's listed as a bread flour
    https://www.amazon.com/Great-River-O...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Again I'm new to the bread game so I know it'll be learning curve.

The yeast/bread discussion going on in the Food Shopping Report thread reminded me that back in the previous economic implosion we began to make some homemade cracker recipes. Basically flat bread requiring no yeast. It was good, very quick, and an excellent way to add a little comfort to plenty of quick meals, like peanut butter, cheese, etc, etc. Some recipes may have required baking soda, but I just don't recall. Baking is the GF's specialty, but I will inquire and report back. Something to consider!

(Chester County)

Here's a video for those looking to store flour long term:

Last edited by eatmydust; May 11th, 2020 at 07:06 AM. Reason: changed link

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    The yeast/bread discussion going on in the Food Shopping Report thread reminded me that back in the previous economic implosion we began to make some homemade cracker recipes. Basically flat bread requiring no yeast. It was good, very quick, and an excellent way to add a little comfort to plenty of quick meals, like peanut butter, cheese, etc, etc. Some recipes may have required baking soda, but I just don't recall. Baking is the GF's specialty, but I will inquire and report back. Something to consider!
    Hard Tack!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    Here's a video for those looking to store flour long term:

That was interesting. Had never seen that method before.

Over the weekend I put some flour in a mylar bag and put it into the freezer. Put the rest in mylar with O2 absorbers. As I'm new to bread making and so plan to make it often so I can learn faster I'm not expecting the flour to last all that long for now.

Made my first loaf on Saturday. Am pretty pleased for my first go round. Discovering that whole wheat flour doesn't rise as much as white bread flour so my next try I'll be adding some white bread flour to the mix in place of some whole wheat. That is supposed to help it rise and be a little less dense. The bread is tasty but definitely dense in the middle.

(Lancaster County)

Don't add more white flour, just add some extra gluten. That's all you need. The problem is the whole wheat flour doesn't have as much gluten so when the yeast starts to burp, the gasses don't get trapped inside the bread, making it more dense. You add the extra gluten to the yeast burps stay inside.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Don't add more white flour, just add some extra gluten. That's all you need. The problem is the whole wheat flour doesn't have as much gluten so when the yeast starts to burp, the gasses don't get trapped inside the bread, making it more dense. You add the extra gluten to the yeast burps stay inside.
    Burps kept in turn into farts.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Hard Tack!
    Yes precisely.

And to follow up to my previous post no baking soda in the recipes we tried.

(Lancaster County)

One more thing in regards to using a bread machine, it may not kneed the dough long enough to develop gluten. I had a bread machine years ago, thought it would be great, but no matter what I tried, it always turned out as a brick. I sold it on CL for $40. Ever since then I use my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook and I've never had a failure. Doing it that way allows you to keep an eye on the dough to make sure it's come together properly. Took sticky, add more flour, too dry, add more liquid. Bread machines don't really give you the ability to do that.

If you need to get dough to rise quickly, you can set your oven to 100F and turn on the light inside. When your dough is done kneeding, put into an lightly oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Stick it into your warm oven, wait a couple minutes and then turn the oven off.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

One more thing in regards to using a bread machine, it may not kneed the dough long enough to develop gluten. I had a bread machine years ago, thought it would be great, but no matter what I tried, it always turned out as a brick. I sold it on CL for $40. Ever since then I use my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook and I've never had a failure. Doing it that way allows you to keep an eye on the dough to make sure it's come together properly. Took sticky, add more flour, too dry, add more liquid. Bread machines don't really give you the ability to do that.

If you need to get dough to rise quickly, you can set your oven to 100F and turn on the light inside. When your dough is done kneeding, put into an lightly oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Stick it into your warm oven, wait a couple minutes and then turn the oven off.
    You have surely made a terrific housewife for one lucky woman . . .
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 43 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast