Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

I use a Mr. Heater as well and found this fan helps move the warm air around and lets you keep the heater turned lower to get more out of a propane tank.

https://www.amazon.com/COMBIUBIU-Fir...t=ELECTRIC_FAN

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    So then it*s safe to run inside without windows open or would that be an issue question
    Yes. I guess if your home is incredibly airtight, some ventilation would offer peace of mind, but these are rated for indoor use.

Look up the manual online and read over it.

You are NOT supposed to run it off a 20lb tank UNLESS the tank is located outdoors.
    I don't know what the safety issue is with having the tank inside, but that's what the sheet says.

My thoughts on the 20 lb tank vs small "camping" cylinders is this:

Sure, the 20 lb is more economical to run for long hours, but this Buddy heater is not meant to be a long term source of heat.
    If you are concerned about needing something to provide heat for DAYS, perhaps a kerosene heater would be better.
    I have both options - for that reason.
    I don't care for kerosene heaters, so I keep the Buddy heater for power outages and if it ends up being a long-term outage, I have a better source of heat waiting to go.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Warren County)

small tank in freezer beforehand
    Hook them up

flip upside down so liquid propane runs into small tank

Be prepared for seal failure (leaks) on small bottles. They are engineered for single use, not refillage.

Thats why I quit diddling with those.

No wait, I just remembered -the new big tanks have a dingus inside that prevents liquid from flowing when upside down.

You can transfer vapor, but its not worth dinking with.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Berks County)

What I*m looking at it for is if the power to go out for a day or two to have a readily available heat source. That*s why I ask about the 20 pound tank which to me seems like it would be most appropriate instead of refilling the small ones.

Does that fan that runs off of the heat really work well enough to consider buying?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Warren County)

Dual fuel propane / Gas generator in use here when the power drops off.

I elected to get a portable vs whole house because others in the clan may need it.

I have a WEN 11K unit

it runs the furnace, pellet stove and fridge / freezer and lights.

(Allegheny County)

What I*m looking at it for is if the power to go out for a day or two to have a readily available heat source. That*s why I ask about the 20 pound tank which to me seems like it would be most appropriate instead of refilling the small ones.

Does that fan that runs off of the heat really work well enough to consider buying?
    Then don't refill them. Just buy some 16 oz coleman cylinders and you're done. Use and dispose.
    I don't think I've used more than 3 or 4 of them for the longest outage.
    Sure, it costs more than a 20lb refill (which is absurdly expensive too these days), but it's not like the cost of buying a generator or something - it's like $7.40 for a twin pack. I keep about 6-8 of them on hand. Even I can afford that.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

I do have a 5500 watt generator as well. The problem with that is what is an easy way to plug my furnace into that? I feel like in my last house the way the furnace was rigged is that it had a plug that went into an outlet that was attached to the furnace and had a switch on it so technically you could turn the furnace on and off if you were servicing it. That made it easy for me to just use that plug and then plug into a drop cord into the generator and run the furnace fine. I am assuming for me to plug my current furnace into the generator I would have to disconnect the wires and then put a plug on the end to plug-in but that*s a pain to do every single time unless I am missing a way to just have a plug that you only need to use an emergency? I have the technical know how to work on small projects like that electrical wise but it*s just not coming to me right now how I would accomplish that.

I guess technically what I would do is take the current wires that are connected to the furnace and terminate them with a plug and then plug it into the outlet that I do have on the side of my furnace now that powers the water pump for condensation.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Warren County)

I do have a 5500 watt generator as well. The problem with that is what is an easy way to plug my furnace into that? I feel like in my last house the way the furnace was rigged is that it had a plug that went into an outlet that was attached to the furnace and had a switch on it so technically you could turn the furnace on and off if you were servicing it. That made it easy for me to just use that plug and then plug into a drop cord into the generator and run the furnace fine. I am assuming for me to plug my current furnace into the generator I would have to disconnect the wires and then put a plug on the end to plug-in but that*s a pain to do every single time unless I am missing a way to just have a plug that you only need to use an emergency? I have the technical know how to work on small projects like that electrical wise but it*s just not coming to me right now how I would accomplish that.

I guess technically what I would do is take the current wires that are connected to the furnace and terminate them with a plug and then plug it into the outlet that I do have on the side of my furnace now that powers the water pump for condensation.
    You are thinking clearly now...

(Bucks County)

So then it*s safe to run inside without windows open or would that be an issue question
    Yes. They make ventless "fireplaces" too.

We have the smaller one. We lost power in February of 2018 for three days. Never went above 25 degrees over those 3 days. We ran that little heater and it kept the house at around 55 degrees. Used a one pound canister about 3-4 hours each.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    small tank in freezer beforehand
    Hook them up

flip upside down so liquid propane runs into small tank

Be prepared for seal failure (leaks) on small bottles. They are engineered for single use, not refillage.

Thats why I quit diddling with those.

No wait, I just remembered -the new big tanks have a dingus inside that prevents liquid from flowing when upside down.

You can transfer vapor, but its not worth dinking with.
    How new? I refill little ones at my camp and have been for quite a few years. I lube the O-rings with a little silicone lube periodically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yes. I guess if your home is incredibly airtight, some ventilation would offer peace of mind, but these are rated for indoor use.

Look up the manual online and read over it.

You are NOT supposed to run it off a 20lb tank UNLESS the tank is located outdoors.
    I don't know what the safety issue is with having the tank inside, but that's what the sheet says.

My thoughts on the 20 lb tank vs small "camping" cylinders is this:

Sure, the 20 lb is more economical to run for long hours, but this Buddy heater is not meant to be a long term source of heat.
    If you are concerned about needing something to provide heat for DAYS, perhaps a kerosene heater would be better.
    I have both options - for that reason.
    I don't care for kerosene heaters, so I keep the Buddy heater for power outages and if it ends up being a long-term outage, I have a better source of heat waiting to go.
    I don't understand why they wouldn't be suitable for continuous use. It's not like they'll build heat forever.

And I got one of these in addition to a little buddy from TSC several years ago. This uses 20 pounders and is real light without the bottle attached. The price of gas in a 20 lber vs 1 lbers is quite significant.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...a?cm_vc=-10005
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast