Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

I've been constantly surprised in my search for hydrated lime. The big box stores either don't carry it or carry small bags at ridiculous prices, I checked online and found that Ace Hardware sells 50 lb. bags for $12.99. So I trip on over to my local Ace and they don't stock it as a usual item, however, they will order it for you. I've got two 50 pounders on order. Hydrated lime is the lime used in outhouses to keep the odor down, on agri fields to raise to soil's pH, and can be used to waterglass eggs for LTS.

Like salt, lime is a mineral and will last virtually forever if kept dry and out of the sun and wind. Go order some now.

Thank me later.
    Last edited by eatmydust; August 20th, 2022 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    I've been constantly surprised in my search for hydrated lime. The big box stores either don't carry it or carry small bags at ridiculous prices, I checked online and found that Ace Hardware sells 50 lb. bags for $12.99. So I trip on over to my local Ace and they don't stock it as a usual item, however, they will order it for you. I've got two 50 pounders on order. Hydrated lime is the lime used in outhouses to keep the odor down, on agri fields to raise to soil's pH, and can be used to waterglass eggs for LTS.

Like salt, lime is a mineral and will last virtually corever if kept dry and out of the sun and wind. Go order some now.

Thank me later.
    If you're in an area with an old-school "feed store", you can likely get it there MUCH cheaper, though you may have to bring your own container, since they typically deal "by the ton"
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Pick up a few of these if you come across them.
    Attachment 159741
    .....Ghostrider?
    Wouldn't know what to do with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FUSKahthlQ
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Today I installed a Root Cellar. We always have lots of potatoes, garlic and onions on hand, and unfortunately, our basement doesn't stay cool enough to keep them down there. I had a thought a while ago about using a 2 drawer filing cabinet to store them in so they'd be in the dark, protected and easily accessed. Then yesterday I had a thought that it would be great if there were a refrigerated version of a filing cabinet so they'd stay cool. Then it hit me. a wine fridge would be perfect because they're meant to maintain a cool temp between 45 and 65 and a low humidity. Jump on CL and within a few minutes I find one in York, on Bull Rd for $95.

Contacted them and made arrangements and zipped over there first thing this morning and picked it up. Got it home and the kids cleaned it up, we pulled the metal racks out and just come acrylic to use as shelves and now we have a dual zone root cellar. Potatoes one side, aromatics on the other side. It's in the pantry right off the kitchen for easy access.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Today I installed a Root Cellar. We always have lots of potatoes, garlic and onions on hand, and unfortunately, our basement doesn't stay cool enough to keep them down there. I had a thought a while ago about using a 2 drawer filing cabinet to store them in so they'd be in the dark, protected and easily accessed. Then yesterday I had a thought that it would be great if there were a refrigerated version of a filing cabinet so they'd stay cool. Then it hit me. a wine fridge would be perfect because they're meant to maintain a cool temp between 45 and 65 and a low humidity. Jump on CL and within a few minutes I find one in York, on Bull Rd for $95.

Contacted them and made arrangements and zipped over there first thing this morning and picked it up. Got it home and the kids cleaned it up, we pulled the metal racks out and just come acrylic to use as shelves and now we have a dual zone root cellar. Potatoes one side, aromatics on the other side. It's in the pantry right off the kitchen for easy access.
    If the power goes out, can you run it off your E-bike?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

So far it's been working fine. Normally when you refrigerate potatoes, they turn black under the skin. So far the potatoes are perfect, nothing is sprouting or going bad. We have it set to maintain 50F.

I told the kids they have to pretend walking downstairs whenever I ask them to get me something out of the root cellar.

How do you install a root cellar? Like dig a hole and put a roof over it?

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Depends on the water table and drainage.

Around my place you would wind up with an underground swimming hole.

Best: Dig a hole in a hillside with the floor at or above ground level. Sturdy walls and roof. More dirt over and around, so you have a hobbit house thing going on.

2nd best: make a sturdy small shed designed to be earth-bermed and make a hill over top of it.

Additional uses: Storm shelter. Makeout place for teens. Dad's getaway bar. dream up your own...
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Did you read the post?

(Allegheny County)

Wasn't sure where to put this...

I was doing some comparisons between the various models of Mr Heater propane heaters and I saw this "new" (a year of 2 ago) model.
    It's currently on sale at Tractor Supply, so I thought I'd mention it for those who may be seeking an emergency heating source.

We have the single tank "Little Buddy" and it does OK, but a higher output model would be better.
    I was about to order this, but I think I'll hold off a bit since we do have a kerosene heater for emergencies too.
    Since I already had all the info handy, I figured I'd share this info.

Reg $150 (seems to be that price most everywhere)
    SALE $100

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...eater-f600100#

Mr Heater Buddy FLEX (you can connect a stove accessory to it)

For comparing the specs...

Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast