Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Next year at this time you'll be able to buy large quantities of 20yr food for cheap with 19yrs left on it's shelf life.
    Hahaha indeed!
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    To be clear, for me, this isn't about corona virus. It's something I have been thinking about for a while, though I guess I picked the worst time to bring it into action.

My goal is just to have a decent stoclpile of food that will keep. Just in case the supermarket supply chain should get interrupted for some reason, or if we needed to hunker down for a bit. Portability is no issue, as I have no bug out plan.

I've got kids so, white rice and sardines aren't likely to be used in anyhing but the most dire of circumstances.

I was thinking something like a moderate stockpile of canned vegetables, soups, tuna, chilli, possibly some peanut butter, depending on the shelf life.

I'm pretty stocked on water and ammo as it is.
    25 Lb back of rice and 25 Lb bag of beans. Coleman portable grill or a grill or similar to heat up water to cook the rice and beans. You should be able to get these fairly easily right now. Canned goods, hand sanitizer and so forth are selling out.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Lancaster County)

To be clear, for me, this isn't about corona virus. It's something I have been thinking about for a while, though I guess I picked the worst time to bring it into action.

My goal is just to have a decent stoclpile of food that will keep. Just in case the supermarket supply chain should get interrupted for some reason, or if we needed to hunker down for a bit. Portability is no issue, as I have no bug out plan.

I've got kids so, white rice and sardines aren't likely to be used in anyhing but the most dire of circumstances.

I was thinking something like a moderate stockpile of canned vegetables, soups, tuna, chilli, possibly some peanut butter, depending on the shelf life.

I think I told my Peanut butter story here before, but I'll post it again.

Maybe between 8 and 10 years ago I was reading news and I found an article that the peanut harvest was going to be bad and the prediction of all peanut related products were going to go up. I dropped everything that I was doing and ran out to Costco and bought 16 2 packs of Jif PB. As I was checking out a woman behind me said "Do you know something we don't?" I told her what I had read, she left the line I'm assuming to go back and buy some PB.

I bought all those for $6.79/package and put them amongst my supplies, with the intent of riding out the high prices to come. Within a few days, that package went to $8.99. BJ's had limits on how much you could buy, and eventually that two pack almost made it $12. Those 32 jars lasted us almost 2 1/2 years, no sign of any kind of spoilage on the last jars used.

Right now we're sitting on over 20jars, and we only buy it when it's on sale for less than $8.99/package. Even now, Costco has a limit on how much you can buy at one time. When it's on sale we'll stop in a few times during that time period and buy 2 packages each time. There isn't much that Costco puts limits on when something is on sale, but PB is always one now.

You're Welcome!
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I just did a quick check of meal storage sites and they're all being hammered. A lot out of stock. Saying "shipping in 45 days."
    I mentioned in the Coronavirus thread that Walmart has Mountain House meals on clearance.
    I had been walking past them each day to watch for clearance price tags because that's how they were marked in another store.
    Yesterday, I was going by on my break and just for the hell of it, I scanned a UPC and it showed as $7 "clearance". They hadn't marked them down with a sticker yet.

All that to say that from the time I discovered they were on clearance to the end of my shift when I went to go get some for myself, about half of them were gone - even without anyone knowing they were on clearance. Usually that stuff just sits there this time of year.

I can't afford to buy cases of this type of thing, but every year right about now, Walmart clearances it to make room for more of the same and I'll buy a handful then.
    Check Target too - I got several Mountain House meals there on clearance last year for about $4 each.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    25 Lb back of rice and 25 Lb bag of beans. Coleman portable grill or a grill or similar to heat up water to cook the rice and beans. You should be able to get these fairly easily right now. Canned goods, hand sanitizer and so forth are selling out.
    Keep in mind, that dried beans really need to be rehydrated for 24 hours before use. You just can't toss them into a pan and cook them the same way rice is done.

For bulking up, I keep this information as a reference. I have bought from the Mormons in the past and it has always been a great experience. They will help you fill your cans and ensure they're properly sealed and what not.

http://tacticalintelligence.net/blog...torehouses.htm

The closest one to me is a few hours away in Ohio. I think there's one near yinz in NJ.
    Last edited by Justin///M; February 28th, 2020 at 01:24 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I have bought from the Morons in the past and it has always been a great experience. They will help you fill your cans and ensure they're properly sealed and what not.
    It was a great experience, but you call them Morons?

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    It was a great experience, but you call them Morons?
    OH FFS! Spell check got me again. Thanks, fixed!

(Juniata County)

Same. Two of my kids are not over picky. One is extremely picky.

Pasta can be stored long term, I would go with glass mason jars and oxygen absorbers. Heat the lids in water, toss in the 02 absorber and seal it.

Anything high in oil can really only be stored a few years at a time. It goes rancid. Because rancidity doesn't kill you quickly, the human senses are poor at detecting it. Does bad things to your chances of cancer though.

I'd start considering adding some freeze dried food as well. A can of something freeze dried can be opened and used over a perid of about a month, without any real risk. The LDS church also sells, to my understanding, at cost a number of long term storage items.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.or...encyPreference

Another thing to keep in mind is food preservation is a science. There is a lot of bad information on the internet (dry canning. oven canning, not pressure canning/pickling/jellying low acid foods like meat or veggies). If you're doing it yourself, following the canning recipes published by ball or an extension office.

Come produce season I plan on catching back up on my canning and dehydrating.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/fo...play.php?f=115
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; February 28th, 2020 at 02:29 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lancaster County)

Ollie's is a good place to stock up on cheap canned goods, as is Big Lots.

Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast