Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    Do you vacuum seal your product after its dried? How do you store it? What shelf life? Meats? Veg? Fruit?
    I do fruit quite a bit like bananas, strawberries, apples etc. After drying I put them in mason jars with O2 absorbers. I do have a vacuum sealer and will sometimes seal the jar lid that way with the jar adapter, but also with and O2 absorber in it.

If I know what I'm jarring isn't going to be there for long like banana chips (we eat those kind of quickly) then it's just the O2. The longest I've gone with eating something that was stored is a year or so. If you keep the jars in a stable cool area and they're sealed well the contents should be good for longer.

I'm planning on trying to make some hamburger (or beef) rocks. Essentially dehydrated ground beef. This I'd like to do to store away some beef for future chili or soups.

I've done frozen veggies in the past. Worked out pretty well. Planning on that again.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Nothing to shy away from. By a Ball book as suggested. Follow the recipe, and forget what the net says. Everything the average person needs is in the Ball Blue Book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If it goes bad you'll know it, that sucked in lid will blow off after the bacteria farts.
    Canning is on the list of things to learn to do. I just haven't taking the steps yet

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445