Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    is there a legal standard for milk container coloration?
    There should be goddamnit, I brought home 8 gallons of low fat.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W19 View Post
    Canada was using bags 40 yrs ago. Can't say I've ever seen them in the US.
    The bags that I have seen are snapped into a rectangular milk crate and have a nipple sticking out of them. They are usually for institutional use like schools and there are coolers made specifically for them. They might even use them in the old diners.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    The bags that I have seen are snapped into a rectangular milk crate and have a nipple sticking out of them. They are usually for institutional use like schools and there are coolers made specifically for them. They might even use them in the old diners.
    We always referred to those as 'cows', and yes they are used in food service establishments. Might be worth it for streaker to ask his restaurant store about getting a milk cooler that holds two cows like a lot of diners have. And to see if his dairy offers them for sale, which they might.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    There should be goddamnit, I brought home 8 gallons of low fat.
    there shouldn't. need no gov intervention when simple reading can solve the problem but i jest.
    i was mostly asking because you say bamboozled and i wasn't sure if you were conned or just made a mistake.
    anyway, buy cream and blend to your desired fattiness.
    lemonade my brotha. lemonade.
    and when life gives you shit, make a garden.

asking for a cooler for two cows might get him a walk-in reefer box... lol
    remembering how chest freezers are measured in deer.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lehigh County)

So I have a 25lb bag of flour. I'd like to store some in mylar bags. I have o2 absorbers. I've read to freeze flour etc for a few days to kill any potential critters.

Question(s): if I take the flour from the bag and seal in a mylar with an o2 absorber do I then place that in the freezer? I've read that if using o2 absorbers then it might not be necessary to freeze since the lack of oxygen is enough to keep critters at bay.

Or do I freeze flour first and then seal in bags?

I've seen suggestions going all different ways on the web. Since I trust the bunch here I thought I'd check with you guys. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rckeystone View Post
    So I have a 25lb bag of flour. I'd like to store some in mylar bags. I have o2 absorbers. I've read to freeze flour etc for a few days to kill any potential critters.

Question(s): if I take the flour from the bag and seal in a mylar with an o2 absorber do I then place that in the freezer? I've read that if using o2 absorbers then it might not be necessary to freeze since the lack of oxygen is enough to keep critters at bay.

I've seen suggestions going all different ways on the web. Since I trust the bunch here I thought I'd check with you guys. Thanks
    I went through the same bewilderment years ago. There were groups on every facet. The issue with freezing first is you need to then bring it back to room temp prior to packing to avoid moisture, which you still may get. Just too much work for me. White flour has a long shelf life, so ultimately I opted to freeze and leave it in the freezer. Granted that takes up a lot of room, so I keep 4-5, 5lb bags in the freezer to make rotation easy. That gives me a good buffer. At the moment I also keep 4-5 bags in the cupboard and rotate accordingly into the freezer.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I went through the same bewilderment years ago. There were groups on every facet. The issue with freezing first is you need to then bring it back to room temp prior to packing to avoid moisture, which you still may get. Just too much work for me. White flour has a long shelf life, so ultimately I opted to freeze and leave it in the freezer. Granted that takes up a lot of room, so I keep 4-5, 5lb bags in the freezer to make rotation easy. That gives me a good buffer. At the moment I also keep 4-5 bags in the cupboard and rotate accordingly into the freezer.
    Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. Too many different schools of thought out there for my tired brain LOL

Story is I managed to get a bread machine (new to bread making). Of course finding bread flour is next to impossible.
    Found something in stock online and grabbed it. Didn't realize till later it was a 25lb bag! Just assumed it was a normal 5lb one LOL
    It's 7 grain whole wheat, not white so I figure I should store some.

I can probably keep a few bags in the freezer but not all. Don't think I'll be storing it for long so the rest I'll probably just do mylar and oxygen absorber without freezing.

i also bought a sysco 25lb of all purpose. it is on the counter. my plan was to just toss it into a 3gal bucket tamp it down and fill to the top then press a lid on.
    grains i usually freeze and then just leave in the freezer because if the power goes out they are good thermal mass, like the bobs red mill farina/grain 1lb bags, just toss them right into freezer. flour i don't think will have bugs.
    don't think its near enough to fill a 5gal.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. Too many different schools of thought out there for my tired brain LOL

Story is I managed to get a bread machine (new to bread making). Of course finding bread flour is next to impossible.
    Found something in stock online and grabbed it. Didn't realize till later it was a 25lb bag! Just assumed it was a normal 5lb one LOL

I can probably keep a few bags in the freezer but not all. Don't think I'll be storing it for long so the rest I'll probably just do mylar and oxygen absorber without freezing.
    FYI the primary difference from bread flour and regular flour is gluten, at least with white flour. I keep AP flour only. Works for everything. Just add a tsp of gluten per cup of flour. Rises fine and makes good bread. We use Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten. A bag lasts forever.

(Lancaster County)

You cannot follow a normal AP/BF recipe and use that as a substitute. You'll have to find recipes specific to that flour. Chances are you're going to have to either mix it with some AP/BF or add gluten to it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 42 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast