Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

Good prepping is guns and ammo and knowing who has stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    I think it depends how many people you're prepping for---I had a family of 5 and I figured 3-5 cans per day per person and that's a total of 25 cans just for one day. Do the math and that's 750 cans simply for 1 month of food....there ain't no way to easily transfer that amount of food if you have to---- That's why we went with dried food as we have enough food in the house to last 7-14 days then have the dried food as the (oh crap) back up. Also, I had all these cans that I couldn't even donate because they put 2 year limits on many of them.
    The point is when you start from nothing, purchasing what you already consume and use in bulk is a no brainer. Tailoring to suit individual needs comes later and somewhat instinctively once the mindset becomes second nature.

It's easier to use wipes----only need one each crap and a lot easier to carry around. They could also be used to keep your hands, face and other body parts cleaned.
    Hopefully you don't use the same wipe for all of those things at the same time...

It's easier to use wipes----only need one each crap and a lot easier to carry around. They could also be used to keep your hands, face and other body parts cleaned.
    They do not last for prepping purposes.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lancaster County)

For anyone talking about buying canned goods, DO NOT run out and buy a bunch of #10 cans of stuff unless you are able to use the contents of that can within 1 or 2 meals. Especially if you're talking about a time frame where you won't have power for fridges.

Also, if you're buying flour and such with the idea of making bread, don't forget the yeast. I like Red Star yeast that comes in 2lb packages. I'll open a package and store it in a mason jar in the fridge, it would probably keep on the shelf too that way, but I just keep it in the fridge. I've gone through jars that lasted over a year that way. I normally use 1tbsp in whatever I'm making whether it's bread or pizza dough.

If you've never made bread from scratch before, don't wait until you need it to try and figure out how to do it. Now is the time to practice making it. If your plan is to make bread make sure you include high gluten flour amongst your supplies. You can make bread with AP flour but it just isn't the same.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    It can be a good start. Although there is no reason to rotated your canned goods. Properly canned food does not expire, although after decades it starts to loose trace vitamins and minerals, it will always provide calories. 50 years old, 100, or more is perfectly safe.

The only caveat to that would be high acid foods stored in metal cans. Tomato products for example.

If you buy commercially made camping/prepping food stick with mountain house or augason farms. They’ve been on the market decades, and have a solid reputation. They’re products have been tested and depended on by thousands.
    Don’t touch wise products with a 10 ft pole, they’ve been publicly called out for lying about their preservation methods, and ran away instead of defending themselves. Likewise, I’d avoid any other fly by night companies.

If you’re trying to get bang for for buck, bulk white rice (not brown, to oily), beans, lentils & corn stored in Mylar with an oxygen absorber. You won’t get more calories and protein any other way.

Personally the bulk Mylar is the way I would go, and pick of cans whenever you see stuff on sale. Fats traditionally have been hard to get, and store, so something like sardines (gross imo but I have them) is worth stocking up on.
    I have to camp on to avoiding Wise. They hit the market hard a few years back and then they were found out.

I just did a quick check of meal storage sites and they're all being hammered. A lot out of stock. Saying "shipping in 45 days."

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I just did a quick check of meal storage sites and they're all being hammered. A lot out of stock. Saying "shipping in 45 days."
    Next year at this time you'll be able to buy large quantities of 20yr food for cheap with 19yrs left on it's shelf life.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Wow---you're correct. I have Chef's banquet I bought 4 years ago and wanted to check ratings and shelf life but every site said "sold out" or "no longer available". Remember the days when being prepared was considered "crazy"? Glad I didn't listen to those people....
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Washington County)

To be clear, for me, this isn't about corona virus. It's something I have been thinking about for a while, though I guess I picked the worst time to bring it into action.

My goal is just to have a decent stoclpile of food that will keep. Just in case the supermarket supply chain should get interrupted for some reason, or if we needed to hunker down for a bit. Portability is no issue, as I have no bug out plan.

I've got kids so, white rice and sardines aren't likely to be used in anyhing but the most dire of circumstances.

I was thinking something like a moderate stockpile of canned vegetables, soups, tuna, chilli, possibly some peanut butter, depending on the shelf life.

I'm pretty stocked on water and ammo as it is.

Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast