Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Talk to me about food storage. Can I get set up decently for $600? Should I just be buying a large quantity of canned goods which I can rotate through or just a bunch of mre's to hide away and forget, or something else?
    Depends upon what you're prepping for. If your concern at this point is staying in and avoiding outside contact, get canned goods, stock up your freezer, and have your staples (flour, sugar, salt, other dry goods) on hand.

If you're prepping for Big Asteroid, dig a hole.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Talk to me about food storage. Can I get set up decently for $600? Should I just be buying a large quantity of canned goods which I can rotate through or just a bunch of mre's to hide away and forget, or something else?
    I did the canned food thing and although cheap and easy to store they are a pain in the butt if you have to get out of town. Dried foods take up much less space, a lot easier to take with you and have 10-25 year shelf life. You could get 1-3 months for under $200 if you look around. Also, get a life straw (a few) for drinking water, access to water, some antibiotics (talked about in the Coronavirus thread), guns, ammo, a network of people you can trust, communications, etc.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Buy stuff that you like and will eat and rotate. There's no real need to go spend a bunch of money, but you can to get started.

What I did was just buy an extra can of something I was buying anyway to store away. I also took advantage of "10 cans for 10 dollars" type of deals. Over time, your stock gets large without having to do it all in one shot.

My canned goods are the first things I would use, and the dried foods would be the "oh shit it's really over" stuff.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Toilet paper.
    In case you have the urge to tee-pee a nearby house.....Hey, one must have fun in the SHTF scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    In case you have the urge to tee-pee a nearby house.....Hey, one must have fun in the SHTF scenario.
    People will want clean asses and how many rolls of TP do you think the average household keeps on hand? I'll be the king of clean assholes.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Buy stuff that you like and will eat and rotate. There's no real need to go spend a bunch of money, but you can to get started.

What I did was just buy an extra can of something I was buying anyway to store away. I also took advantage of "10 cans for 10 dollars" type of deals. Over time, your stock gets large without having to do it all in one shot.

My canned goods are the first things I would use, and the dried foods would be the "oh shit it's really over" stuff.
    This^^^^

It's simple to get going in the right direction.

(Bucks County)

People will want clean asses and how many rolls of TP do you think the average household keeps on hand? I'll be the king of clean assholes.
    It's easier to use wipes----only need one each crap and a lot easier to carry around. They could also be used to keep your hands, face and other body parts cleaned.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    This^^^^

It's simple to get going in the right direction.
    I think it depends how many people you're prepping for---I had a family of 5 and I figured 3-5 cans per day per person and that's a total of 25 cans just for one day. Do the math and that's 750 cans simply for 1 month of food....there ain't no way to easily transfer that amount of food if you have to---- That's why we went with dried food as we have enough food in the house to last 7-14 days then have the dried food as the (oh crap) back up. Also, I had all these cans that I couldn't even donate because they put 2 year limits on many of them.

(Bucks County)

I have one weird tip for prepping....

Clickbait lead in aside, I suggest reading the "Black Tide Rising" series by John Ringo. It goes into a lot of good prepping ideas and gotchas that new preppers might not think of. And it is set in a world of a engineered virus causing a "zombie apocalypse" (though they aren't dead, just brain damaged and infective as hell.)

(Juniata County)

It can be a good start. Although there is no reason to rotated your canned goods. Properly canned food does not expire, although after decades it starts to loose trace vitamins and minerals, it will always provide calories. 50 years old, 100, or more is perfectly safe.

The only caveat to that would be high acid foods stored in metal cans. Tomato products for example.

If you buy commercially made camping/prepping food stick with mountain house or augason farms. They’ve been on the market decades, and have a solid reputation. They’re products have been tested and depended on by thousands.
    Don’t touch wise products with a 10 ft pole, they’ve been publicly called out for lying about their preservation methods, and ran away instead of defending themselves. Likewise, I’d avoid any other fly by night companies.

If you’re trying to get bang for for buck, bulk white rice (not brown, to oily), beans, lentils & corn stored in Mylar with an oxygen absorber. You won’t get more calories and protein any other way.

Personally the bulk Mylar is the way I would go, and pick of cans whenever you see stuff on sale. Fats traditionally have been hard to get, and store, so something like sardines (gross imo but I have them) is worth stocking up on.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast