Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    The people who prep know the words. :-p.

Let extra space in your Mylar bags and get oversized oxygen absorbers. They are cheap. A mistake I made is to try and squeeze excess air out of the bags. Sure, it looks cool when the Mylar tightens down, but it makes pinholes way more likely.

Also. No pinto beans. Tests over at survivalist boards show they get hard as rocks. They do not rehydrate. Period. Not in a pressure cooker. Not after days. Nothing. With a good grinder you can make a powder, but you’ll likely just break your Diamond tip grinder.

Any other beans are fine.
    So you don't suck the air out before sealing? I also have my Mylar in food grade grocery store icing buckets with a rubber seal. I have also put oxygen absorbers in the bucket as well. I wonder if it will create a pressure difference between the Mylar and the inside bucket. It's been sealed up for about 4-5 years now. Have not checked to see if seals are broken.
    ΑΣΦ

(Chester County)

I will remind everyone that salt is super-duper cheap right now and unless you live next to a salt mine or ocean, it will be unobtanium if shit goes really sideways. Kept dry and sealed it lasts virtually forever and is vital for canning and curing. That is all.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    So you don't suck the air out before sealing? I also have my Mylar in food grade grocery store icing buckets with a rubber seal. I have also put oxygen absorbers in the bucket as well. I wonder if it will create a pressure difference between the Mylar and the inside bucket. It's been sealed up for about 4-5 years now. Have not checked to see if seals are broken.
    No need, as long as you have a proper oxygen absorber. I’ve used discount Mylar bags & been very happy with them. They have a chart with what size O2 absorbers to use with which size bags. I usually go up by 50, not that you need to but because there isn’t a reason not to. Once all the oxygen is gone, they go inactive. Oxygen being a little over 20 percent of the air, you get about a 20 % shrinkage on your bags. Decent layers of Mylar shouldn’t get holes, with with handling, why add risk.

The pressure differences shouldn’t matter overly much. What you did is a fairly common practice, although not needed.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    I will remind everyone that salt is super-duper cheap right now and unless you live next to a salt mine or ocean, it will be unobtanium if shit goes really sideways. Kept dry and sealed it lasts virtually forever and is vital for canning and curing. That is all.
    There are old salt licks all through Pennsylvania. Good luck learning their location these days. You can also make salt from hickory. Both ways are far more intensive then just stocking up on cheap salt, and don’t have the iodine that is so important for proper brain development and avoidance of goiders.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

How to use a steam juicer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=H6ad7X8T9rY

I all seriousness, I would love to have a canning party. I have a steam juicer, which every prepper should have. Almost all food waste during the cooking process is reduced and lt makes canning tomatoes easy. No damned simmering tomato’s for 16 hours praying they don’t scorch when you try to go pee.

Not only is it healthy (steam a roast with veggies), but all the drippings get caught in a lower basket, and then can easily be canned as broth, as a base for soup later.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; February 26th, 2020 at 08:49 AM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I'm buying a couple more 5 gal gas cans today. Gas distribution & sales could be affected.

Also buying some snacks & treats at Aldi & Dollar Tree. That'll help to keep everybody's spirits up if we're holed up for two months, eating from the pantry.

(Berks County)

I have about a 160 gal gas tank with manual pump that I'll sell for $100, it's in pretty good shape.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Washington County)

Talk to me about food storage. Can I get set up decently for $600? Should I just be buying a large quantity of canned goods which I can rotate through or just a bunch of mre's to hide away and forget, or something else?

(Bucks County)

Prepping also includes items to barter---cigarettes, single bottles of hard liquor and small packaged food items.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Prepping also includes items to barter---cigarettes, single bottles of hard liquor and small packaged food items.
    Toilet paper.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast