Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Post your Preps/Tips and ideas.

its important to let people know where you stand.

https://1776united.com/collections/n...t-sneeze-on-me

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Glad it worked. Mine always turned out to be a bread brick. Make enough and I could have had a bread igloo.
    It's not a brick, it's "hearty", lol. But it's good enough that I'll buy a supply of bread flour and yeast. If we're holed up in the house for weeks, we'll have plenty of time to learn how to bake bread for real.

I bought bread machine yeast at Walmart and used general-purpose flour for the test. What type/brand of flour and yeast do you recommend for regular bread making?

Our bread thingy works well. I almost ditched it a couple weeks ago because it takes up so much damn room, and we don't use it much. But decided to keep it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    It's not a brick, it's "hearty", lol. But it's good enough that I'll buy a supply of bread flour and yeast. If we're holed up in the house for weeks, we'll have plenty of time to learn how to bake bread for real.

I bought bread machine yeast at Walmart and used general-purpose flour for the test. What type/brand of flour and yeast do you recommend for regular bread making?
    thats cool. i have a supply of MRE ''bread'' thats also "hearty'' lol all good. just have to keep a supply of jelly or butter etc etc.

"hearty" hard and dense bread is great for storing.
    i used to make a nutrient rich protein infused chocolate hardtack type thing for emergency snacks.
    just need water.

no i don't have a recepie. just kind of threw the kitchen sink at it and it worked.

if you buy the long sleeves of ground beef and some freezer bags you can divide the poundage into equal lengths and just use a sharp knife to just cut right through the package making plastic sleeved rings of meat in whatever poundage you want. toss it in a bag and freeze or prep for longer storage by mushing it into a vacuum bag or something.

...easier than weighing or trying to spoon the tube out into portions.
    we just got 20lb
    Last edited by fallenleader; March 1st, 2020 at 12:02 PM.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

I use RedStar yeast that comes in 2lb vacuum sealed packages. 1tbsp at a time is used in bread or pizza dough. For bread and pizza dough I used a high gluten "bread flour", not an AP flour unless I'm making bread sticks, then I'll use AP. You can mix Whole Wheat with BF to make a heartier bread, but if you do, you'll probably have to add more water to the recipe. I posted earlier in this thread that the dry yeast can be stored in a mason jar once it's opened. Probably is safe on the shelf, but I keep it in the fridge.

Always proof your yeast before you mix it with your dry ingredients. Heat whatever the amount of water the recipe calls for to 118F, then add a tbsp of sugar and a tbsp of yeast and let it sit for about 8 minutes. If it gets good and foamy, it's proofed, then you can mix it in with your dry ingredients. Do not rely upon dumping all your dry ingredients into the bread machine and expect it to rise properly.

Keep in mind that making bread is not an exact science. So you may follow the recipe given for the bread machine exactly and end up with a dry brick. Because those recipes cannot take into account for current humidity and the amount of water the flour is going to absorb. When I make bread here, there are some days where the recipe I used the amount of water is exact, other days it's too much and other's it's too little. It just takes some practice to know how to fix it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Our bread thingy works well. I almost ditched it a couple weeks ago because it takes up so much damn room, and we don't use it much. But decided to keep it.
    I got one when we first got married, used it a few times with poor results. Sold it on CL a few years ago for $40. Now I used my KitchenAid mixer for kneading the dough and it works perfectly for that.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    FYI, Auguson Farms LTS canned goods were cheaper from walmart.com than from the Auguson website and free shipping to boot over $35.
    Often the same with sams club.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Everyone should have a bicycle. That is all.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

If shit gets bad enough to be eating out of a plastic bucket of rice, I'm going on the Santa Clarita diet.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast