Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Vortex Viper?

(Northumberland County)

Default Vortex Viper?

Scopes are not my forte, and not something I'm usually inclined to spend a ton on money on. However, I find myself needing to invest in something of at least decent quality for a long range build, and the Vortex Viper is one that keeps appearing as a reasonably affordable and good quality used option. Seeing 6.5-20 and 6-24 as common options, and dilly-dallied too long on one of the latter on ebay, questioning if it was worth $300 (it was, at least to someone, apparently). What's the consensus on Vipers? Value of a clean used one? Haven't found a ton of details on what all the Viper offers over their other lines, only that it's a step above the Crossfire, Diamondback, Strike Eagle, etc. lines...so also interested in hearing what those differentiating factors may be.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Vortex Viper?

If the 6-24 is the Viper PST line, then it is a good scope for it price range. If memory serves me correctly i paid around $900 7 years ago. they have been discontinued but i think there are still a few to be had new for around $600. it has solid audible turrets (it is lacking a true zero stop but vortex's shim process makes it very usable) decently clear glass with good color and brightness, tracks well and i believe the warranty is transferable. IMO $300 used was a good deal, new for $600 not so much.

If your shopping gets you close to the $500 range you should also consider the Nikon FX1000 6-24x50. Very good scope for the money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-BLACK...0AAOSwfcddI3tm

Generally speaking from my experience with vortex products, you get what you pay for. nothing more and nothing less, they price their products at market value based on their name. there are other brands you can get more features and sometimes even a better product but i imagine it can also be a crap shoot. As for other Viper products i don't have any hands on experience so i can't comment.

(Northumberland County)

Thanks for the input. Sounds like maybe i shouldve jumped a little quicker on that Viper. Don't believe the one in question was a PST, but could be wrong. HS was the model I think, so maybe an older or base version? Sounds like if I go Vortex, I'm on the right path (don't go too cheap). Nikon is a consideration as well, though the $500 is a bit above where is like to be ideally. I actually thought I heard Nikon was done making scopes though? Athlon is the other brand I've been looking at. Seem to be an up and comer with good features for the price. Little on the cheaper and less known side, but supposedly in line with Vortex on quality

(Somerset County)

Athlon is gtg and make some great optics

I would look at the Midas tac as something to compare against the PST

If you want to spend a little less check out Swampfox optics. They have a website but optics planet has better pricing unless a sale

Their Kentucky Long scopes are not as good as the vortex PST 2, but are very nice and a good bit cheaper

(Somerset County)

Also if you want to go vortex, check out AA optics. They are a preferred vendor for them and get a lot of the vortex returns in

You can save a good bit of money and they still have their awesome warranty

(Northumberland County)

Ended up going Athlon then. Similar flavor as the Vortex and Nikon, but a good bit less $. Cameraland (ignore the name...seem pretty legit and deal in all kinds of optical things) is running them @ $270, no tax or shipping. Missing the ebay post on the first Viper + a few more for other used Vipers and Athlons gave way to finding Cameraland, at basically the same price for new

(Wayne County)

Euro optic has both Vortex and Nikon on sale. Hurry!

(Monroe County)

Nikon is getting out of scopes so no support if something breaks.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northumberland County)

Ended up with an Athlon. Quality between Vortex, Nikon and Athlon seemed very comparable but price on the Athlon was about 50-60% as much as the others. Initial results at a 100 yards are very good to excellent in my mind (so short range at the moment, for this set up). Well under 1 MOA. Long range...time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Nikon is getting out of scopes so no support if something breaks.
    FYI: Nikon has said they will still honor all warranty issues that may pop up on their products.