Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Polk planners table gun rules

Default Re: Polk planners table gun rules

This law had absolutely nothing to do with small family parks and everything to do with circumventing current PA law and allowing the township to control what property owners have legally been doing here for years under the current law.

Here's an article from earlier this month with more detailed information about the ordinance its.

https://www.tnonline.com/polk-townsh...-gun-ordinance

Supervisors’ Chairman Brian Ahner said, “Our goal was not to prevent anyone from owning a gun or using a gun, just to keep our residents safe.”

The ordinance proposed by Polk Township would prohibit the discharge of firearms in:

• Any residential subdivision;

• Within 150 yards of any adjacent occupied structure, camp or farm;

• On any property smaller than 1 continuous acre;

• Under any circumstance where the bullet or other fired projectile will not remain on the same property where it was discharged;

• Anywhere in the township before dawn or after dusk.

It also prohibits reckless, careless or improper use of any firearm being used for the purpose of causing damage or harm to people or their property within the township.

A firearm would include any gun, shotgun, rifle, handgun, pistol and any other device that propels a projectile through force. It does not apply to a bow and arrow, crossbow, BB gun or pellet gun.

If a person does discharge a firearm in the township, then the ordinance would give law enforcement the right to seize the weapon as evidence.
    Sounds like a Fudd who wanted to create a problem that doesn't exist.

Ahner said at the supervisors meeting in December that he has been a member of a local gun club for 35 years and is its current president. The proposed ordinance just came down to safety.

(Lancaster County)

They had a guns in parks regulation that they are taking off the books also

(Lancaster County)

A firearm would include any gun, shotgun, rifle, handgun, pistol and any other device that propels a projectile through force. It does not apply to a bow and arrow, crossbow, BB gun or pellet gun.
    But apparently would ban nerf guns.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Sounds like a Fudd who wanted to create a problem that doesn't exist.

Ahner said at the supervisors meeting in December that he has been a member of a local gun club for 35 years and is its current president. The proposed ordinance just came down to safety.
    Maybe the membership numbers were really down this year.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Polk planners table gun rules after 2nd letter
    On Sunday the Polk Township Board of Supervisors received another letter about the gun ordinance. This one implied the township is in direct violation of law from already enacted gun ordinances.

The letter, from the The Firearms Industry Consulting Group, says it will file private criminal complaints against each official involved in the proposing and enacting of the ordinance if Polk Township does not immediately repeal it.

The ordinance enacted by Polk Township prohibits the discharge of firearms on municipal park grounds.

This notice follows an initial letter from The Firearms Industry Consulting Group, received Feb. 4. The initial letter said the group would take legal action if the township continues to consider a proposal that would prohibit discharging of firearms under certain circumstances.

Township solicitor James Fareri detailed the ongoing ordinances during a planning commission meeting Wednesday.

“In essence this ordinance regulates the discharge of firearms, they do not regulate the possession, we don’t say whether you can possess it, we really say where you can shoot it off,” Fareri said.

“We have deliberated it for a while, had comments from the community, and have considered these going forward. We then received a letter from an outside outfit called The Firearms Industry Consulting Group, suggesting legal action against the township.”

Fareri suggested temporarily repealing the ordinance about municipal park grounds. “I responded with a letter that we would temporarily repeal that — by doing so we are not agreeing with what it says, we are acting out of abundance of precaution,” he said.

Fareri added, “I believe that the municipality has the power to prohibit discharge of a firearm on land that it owns. It will be a sad day when a municipality can’t say that you can’t shoot a gun in a small community park or walking trail. It’s just common sense.”

After deliberation of the ordinances and legality letters suggesting lawsuits, the Polk Township Supervisors tabled decisions until further research and legal counseling were taken into consideration.

“Out of abundance of precaution and to make sure we are doing the right thing we will differ this until our next meeting,” Fareri said.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Maybe the membership numbers were really down this year.
    I was thinking the same thing. I’m pretty sure my neighbor knows this guy personally and is a friend of his since he is apart of all the local gun clubs in the area. I’m going to have to run this past him next time I see him and see what he says.

My neighbor is a pretty staunch 2A supporter and shoots on his property all the time. This would have legally killed that and his deer hunting. If your not a skeet or trap shooter then the clubs in this area blow, you spend more time making sure you won’t break a rule then you do shooting your firearms. I get the impression that they are run more like private boys club that has to tolerate a membership.

While looking though the permit applications on my local townships web site I found this.

Last updates on January 9th.
    From the looks of this is the new ordinance they drafted from what I posted above which has not been removed.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/96180b9488ef...&alloworigin=1

http://www.polktwp.org/

*** Updated!!! Revised Firearms Ordinance Draft 1/9/20 - firearms ordinance.pdf

Those fuckers also banned or tried to ban Tannerite.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 17th, 2020 at 08:57 PM.

I'm not going to mention the footnote to the unfortunate case that would encourage municipal property owners to enact similar rules with respect to municipal property. Let the anti's do their own legal research. But I've been warning you guys since 2006 of what would happen, and we're closer to it now than ever before.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I'm not going to mention the footnote to the unfortunate case that would encourage municipal property owners to enact similar rules with respect to municipal property. Let the anti's do their own legal research. But I've been warning you guys since 2006 of what would happen, and we're closer to it now than ever before.

I joined here in 2013 so I am unfamiliar with what you are speaking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast