Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default C&R License question.

If you have a C&R license, can the ATF come in and "inspect" anytime they wish unannounced without a warrant?

ETA: Obviously i'd have no problem turning over a log book if they call and setup a time or whatever, I just don't want to give the ATF a key to my front door.

I may need a tinfoil hat after this thread, but I just wanna make sure on this one.
    Last edited by XD45; October 20th, 2008 at 05:15 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: C&R License question.

I believe they can inspect your book whenever they want but they just don't show up unannounced. How do they know when your home? They would make an appointment. I have yet to hear of a C&R holder being inspected. Having said that, I prolly be the 1st.

I did have 2 ATF agents visit me over the summer and my 1st thought was "is my book in order??" But they were checking serial numbers on one of my wife's handguns. They claimed a similar serial number was used in a local crime. My guess is they wanted to make sure she wasn't a straw purchaser after she bought 2 handguns the same day.

If you have any license that was issued from the ATF they have the right to come to your home unannounced and check for whatever they want, any time they want. When I had a Class 1 FFL shortly after Oklahoma City, I was living in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. Ron Fortier was living in Kingman, Arizona some 60 miles away. The ATF was all over Kingman like flies on fresh dog crap. I told my wife they'll show up here, it's only a matter of time. Sure enough about 2 days later a rented Chevy pulled into my driveway and a well dressed man and woman got out. I thought they were Jehovah Witnesses. They showed their badges and wanted to see my records. I happen to be in the garage with a cigarette and a beer and said, we've got the alcohol and tobacco, let's go inside and look at some firearms! The woman agent busted out laughing. They came and saw, then left. Whatever they wanted, I didn't have it. I had some bookkeeping errors, but they were nice about it and just told me to take care of it as soon as possible. I now have a C&R License, but have had no such activity, yet. Bill T.

i ended up sending in my app yesterday, i don't have anything to hide so its worth it to me just was curious how all that could work.

Midway gives full dealer discount to C&R License holders. Just mail them a copy. The savings on some items are substancial. I can't find Leupold scopes cheaper anywhere. Bill T.

(Elk County)

ATFE can walk in to an 01FFL any time and ask to see the records immediately, no appointment necessary.

With the 03FFL (C&R), the ATFE has a right to inspect your records not more than once a year. The compliance officer must make an appointment with the C&R holder, and the meeting can take place at the agent's office or at your home or place of business. They generally like to do the audit within a few days to a week, but if there are extenuating circumstances (you're deployed in Bumfukistan, for example) they will be accomodating.

If you make the appointment at any place other than where you keep your collection, be prepared to haul all the guns to the appointment. It is far easier to park the compliance officer at your DR table with a cup of coffee and a danish, and lug the guns from the safe to the officer for the S/N match-up to the bound book.

The length of the compliance audit depends on the number of guns you have, because the standard practice is to match the book entry with the S/N. Allow about 1.5 to 2 hours, including general BS-ing time. Some compliance officers will ask to see your storage arrangement -- safe, securely locked closet, locked room, etc.

HTH,

Noah

I know someone (1952Sniper) from the SKSboards when I used to hang out there was indeed asked to show his guns, but since he knew the law he requested the meeting take place at their office. So he dragged his bound book and all of his C&R guns (he's a collector) to their office for review.

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    Midway gives full dealer discount to C&R License holders. Just mail them a copy. The savings on some items are substancial. I can't find Leupold scopes cheaper anywhere. Bill T.
    This is SOOOOOOOOOO true when it comes to optics. Paid for my license almost three fold with the first scope I ordered. XD....little buddy....it is safe to remove the tin hat.
    Jules

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    This is SOOOOOOOOOO true when it comes to optics. Paid for my license almost three fold with the first scope I ordered. XD....little buddy....it is safe to remove the tin hat.
    Jules
    brownells gives a discount to, some of the items are close to 50% off, you can just make a PDF file for them and email it to saraha@brownells.com shell take care of it for you.

(Beaver County)

I just got my C&R, yesterday, so today, I'm making copies!

I sent the application on 9/1/08, so it took about six weeks to process.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast