Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Obama: Defense of Marriage Act 'Abhorrent' in 2004 Letter to Chicago Gay Newspaper

Can someone please show me one issue that Obama hasn't changed positions on for political expediency?

Obama Called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) 'Abhorrent' in 2004 Letter to Chicago Gay Newspaper:
    http://catholiccitizens.org/news/con...ew.asp?c=48402 ^ | 10/20/08 | Catholic Citizens of Illinois

Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 3:51:43 PM by OPS4

ABC News reported, "When he began his campaign for U.S. Senate, [Obama] told a group called Independent Voters of Illinois.

2004-02-11

Obama on Marriage

As an African-American man, a child of an interracial marriage, a committed scholar, attorney and activist who works to protect the Bill of Rights, I am sensitive to the struggle for civil rights. As a state Senator, I have taken on the issue of civil rights for the LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender] community as if they were my own struggle because I believe strongly that the infringement of rights for any one group eventually endangers the rights enjoyed under law by the entire population. Since 1996, I have been the sponsor or a chief co-sponsor of measures to expand civil liberties for the LGBT community including hate-crimes legislation, adoption rights and the extension of basic civil rights to protect LGBT persons from discrimination in housing, public accommodations, employment and credit.

Today, I am a candidate for the U.S. Senate. Unlike any of my opponents, I have a legislative track record. No one has to guess about what I will do in Washington. My record makes it very clear. I will be an unapologetic voice for civil rights in the U.S. Senate.

For the record, I opposed DOMA [the Defense of Marriage Act] in 1996. It should be repealed and I will vote for its repeal on the Senate floor. I will also oppose any proposal to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban gays and lesbians from marrying. This is an effort to demonize people for political advantage, and should be resisted … .

(Excerpt) Read more at catholiccitizens.org ...
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Obama: Defense of Marriage Act 'Abhorrent' in 2004 Letter to Chicago Gay Newspape

I didn't read the whole article on my phone, but if he supports gay marriage i'm cool with that.

So yes, i support obama on this issue.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Obama: Defense of Marriage Act 'Abhorrent' in 2004 Letter to Chicago Gay Newspape

Quote Originally Posted by 5711-Marine View Post
    Can someone please show me one issue that Obama hasn't changed positions on for political expediency?
    i'm a bit confused...does obama claim to support the DOMA now? has he ever? i would be surprised if he did.

i'm with joe the smith on this one...the government has neither the right nor the authority to tell people who they can and cannot marry.

(Lackawanna County)

why shouldn't gays marry? they have the right to be miserable, like anyone else.

(Delaware County)

For the record I am only pointing out his inconsistency, not taking a stand on gay marriage.

Obama opposed DOMA, in the primary he supported "full equality" and pledged to repeal DOMA.

Now Obama believes marriage is between one man and one woman, but he calls California proposition 8 divisive.
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 5711-Marine View Post
    Now Obama believes marriage is between one man and one woman
    do you happen to have a citation for that?

that would give me some really fun ammo for arguing with a few obama supporters i know as neocon views on marriage are one of the big reasons they support obama...but, if it turns out he now professes the same views as bush/cheney/etc....ohhhh man...that is going to be priceless...

(Allegheny County)

ok...did a little research...

from what i can tell, obama still opposes DOMA and still pledges to try to repeal it.

he claims however, to personally define "marriage" as between 1 man and 1 woman. but, he does not feel the federal government has the authority to define marriage--and that it should be left to the states to define "marriage". he does seem to support the rights of gay couples to enter into "civil unions" with all the same benefits as "married" heterosexual couples.

so, it seems he is playing the same word games that many neocons play with this issue...though he is playing with the words in a little different manner.

so, while i personally don't think you can say he has flipped-flopped on the issue (as he has on other issues), you certain can say he speaks out of both sides of his mouth with regard to it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    ok...did a little research...

from what i can tell, obama still opposes DOMA and still pledges to try to repeal it.

he claims however, to personally define "marriage" as between 1 man and 1 woman. but, he does not feel the federal government has the authority to define marriage--and that it should be left to the states to define "marriage". he does seem to support the rights of gay couples to enter into "civil unions" with all the same benefits as "married" heterosexual couples.

so, it seems he is playing the same word games that many neocons play with this issue...though he is playing with the words in a little different manner.

so, while i personally don't think you can say he has flipped-flopped on the issue (as he has on other issues), you certain can say he speaks out of both sides of his mouth with regard to it.
    Fair enough. I am not a big fan of "nuanced" positions where he can speak to both sides of an issue. The list of issues he does that with is quite long.

Biter and clinging to guns and religion while in SFOCA
    Supports sportsmen, etc while in PA (but never a straight supports the 2nd Amendment)