Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Green Mountain custom barrels

Ive been looking for a custom 308 Rem 700 action for a while and I finally found one. We were really busy about 2 weeks ago and a good customer of mine brought this action in. He is a gunsmith and makes custom actions so Im pretty sure is gonna shoot. He said it is a Green Mountain barrel on it. I bought it and didnt think anything of it until about a week ago. Green Mountain is known for muzzleloader barrels and 10/22 barrels not precision rifle barrels (not that I know of anyways). Has anyone had any experiance with these barrels and if so how do they shoot. Please let me know.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

Default Re: Green Mountain custom barrels

Just like you, I know they've been known for their muzzle loader and 10/22 and .17 HMR/HMR2 barrels. I haven't ever heard anything about them being used in center fire rifles like a .308 on any action, etc. I didn't know that they made a barrel that was in like a .308, etc. Are you sure that it's a green mountain barrel? Markings? If they were a quality centerfire barrel maker I figure I would have at least heard a little more of them. I mean I'm used to hearing names like Bartlein, Broughten, Obermeyer, Krieger, Lothar Walther, things like that, but I haven't heard of green mountain center fire barrels. I'd be a bit cautious and ask more questions. I'm not saying that they might not have made one custom if a customer wanted it, but I don't know why this would be the case when there's so many other high end barrel makers out there.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Just like you, I know they've been known for their muzzle loader and 10/22 and .17 HMR/HMR2 barrels. I haven't ever heard anything about them being used in center fire rifles like a .308 on any action, etc. I didn't know that they made a barrel that was in like a .308, etc. Are you sure that it's a green mountain barrel? Markings? If they were a quality centerfire barrel maker I figure I would have at least heard a little more of them. I mean I'm used to hearing names like Bartlein, Broughten, Obermeyer, Krieger, Lothar Walther, things like that, but I haven't heard of green mountain center fire barrels. I'd be a bit cautious and ask more questions. I'm not saying that they might not have made one custom if a customer wanted it, but I don't know why this would be the case when there's so many other high end barrel makers out there.
    My buddy still has the action for some trigger work. When I went on their website they have barrels that you have to work yourself to get it to fit.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

(Jefferson County)

Their barrels are pretty good. A great number of firearm manufacturers use them. I wouldn't put them in the same class as some custom barrels, but if you're needing a replacement they should serve well.

Bushmaster uses Green Mountain barrels for their AR rifles. Spikes is currently using them for their 9mm AR barrels.

IIRC Clarks was using them for their custom AR barrels as well.
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Mercer County)

I kinda figured they weren't precision barrels but custom rifles are new to me so I had to ask. What barrel would you recomend. I have a buddy that shoots long range competition and he uses all Hart barrels. He says for the price they are the best choice. Any other opinions?

(York County)

hart is a good one, i had one in .22 that shot very well and my pops had one in 6 mm AI and they are good barrels, right now i have a lilja barrel for my .17 hmr and so does my pops and those are good he shot a .3, 5 shot group @ 100 yrds the other day, but he also got lilja to make a .17 Mach2 that didnt shoot that well, now ive never owned one, but my pops swears by his krieger barrel that he has on his 6 mm BR and its the best shooting gun he's ever had, ive never heard anyone say that they have found an unstraight krieger, if i were you i would look hard at the kriegers, i know when i start building my 6 PPC without a doubt its gonna be a krieger, but your not really gonna go wrong with any of the top barrel makers
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"