Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice...

(Allegheny County)

Default Need Advice...

So, I bought a ticket from a co-worker for the 2008 Breakneck Beagle Club Gun Raffle.

Last night, my ticket number came up, which means I've won a Savage 16FXP3 Bolt Action with 3x9 scope in .270 WSM, or goods of equal value from Dick's Sporting Goods on McKnight Road. I've looked up the rifle online, and read about it's performance. While I am hopeful to get to deer hunt someday, elk and moose are definitely out of the equation for me. There is also the issue that the cartridges for this beautiful peice of engineering are roughly $2 a shot (20 rounds in a box for $44 give or take). That'd be an expensive rifle to practice shooting, and I do need the practice.

So, in that vein, I'm thinking maybe I should take them up on the "goods of equal value". I'm thinking a Mosin 91/30 would be a good enough deer rifle, and the ammo is definitely cheap enough that I can practice quite a bit with it. At the price they go for, I could get two and sporterize one while keeping one in collectors condition, and have money for additional toys. I don't own a shotgun yet, for example. Perhaps a more modern 9mm pistol?

So, if you were going to give advice to a newbie hunter with a $700-ish gift certificate to Dick's, what firearms would you recommend?

Thanks much in advance for the advice,

Eric
    Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
    Nagant M44 carbine 7.62X54R / WASR-10 7.62X39
    Nagant 1875 Revolver 7.62 Nagant / CZ 52 Semi-Auto 7.62x25

2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 custom -1976 Kawasaki KZ400 (project)

Default Re: Need Advice...

You aren't going to have the ammo support if you go to the Mosin... Sure, corrosive ball ammo can be had on the cheap, but modern hunting ammo isn't exactly prevelant and it isn't something you can buy at your local wal-mart or anything like that. Maybe you should stick to a 30-06, 308, or something similar if you want a rifle. I mean, a Mosin can be had for 80 bucks rather easily... So, if a Mosin is what you want, you can get one without to much strain on the wallet. I live in OH so, to me, a shotgun is a better starter hunting firearm than a rifle. In Ohio, you can't use a rifle to hunt deer and the shotgun is a better choice for say, turkey or any bird or rabbits, etc. You should be able to pick up any auto loading shotgun of your choosing for 700 dollars (unless its something crazy). $700 dollars gives you lots of choices.

(Allegheny County)

I did buy one box of soft points in non-corrosive steel case ammo when I bought my M44. Then I found out you can't hunt with a rifle in PA if the bayonet is not detachable. Someone pinned the screw to the bayonet swivel housing thingy (I can't think of the proper technical terminology, sorry), so it'd be a real pain to remove.

but yeah, Mosins can be had on the cheap. This would be a good opportunity to pick up something nice.

I am hoping for recommendations on specific models though. So, is there perhaps a specific shotgun/pistol/rifle etc that would be recommended by folks?

Cordially,

Eric
    Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
    Nagant M44 carbine 7.62X54R / WASR-10 7.62X39
    Nagant 1875 Revolver 7.62 Nagant / CZ 52 Semi-Auto 7.62x25

2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 custom -1976 Kawasaki KZ400 (project)

(Allegheny County)

I don't have a specific model but when I use to hunt, I used a Weatherby .270 (vanguard, I think). It was bough used but is a great gun. Everyone says that the Rem. 700 series is the most accurate rifle out of the box. You can pick them up in many different calibers. Might want to check that out.

If the price of ammo is a major deciding factor for you, check to see if you can get the same gun in a different caliber.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

As others have said, you can purchase lots of rifles in this price range. I haven't necessarily heard lately that Remmy's are the most accurate rifle "out of the box", and I'm a remington 700 man. Either way, most of these rifles will definately shoot, and most more accurately than most Mosin's (not all). As Mojo said though, if you're worried about that caliber, you can always choose something else like the .308. Just realize that large bore rifles like the .308, 30-06, and .270 all cost quite a bit of money to shoot. It's sad, but ammo prices have gone up pretty high, cost of brass, copper, powders, and most of all shipping (price of gas and heavy things).

I would consider a few things, if you can take "equal value" or "cash", I would consider buying something like a used Savage 10 or 110. These rifles to my knowledge are some of the most accurate out of the box for the money, and have all kinds of accessories (stocks, firing pins, barrels, etc) for later on if you want to customize one. You can get one of these rifles for around or under $300 I'm sure. Then I would consider using the rest of the budget to consider reloading (if you've thought about it), you can make better ammunition than you can buy for cheaper. When you factor in your time (which you may or may not have), then the ammo usually ends up costing about the same, but is of a better quality and customized for your rifle. If this is something that you're not comfortable with, then don't rush into it; many people just enjoy reloading and find it relaxing though. If you didn't want to reload, you could look at getting a Remington 870 express, got mine for $190 w/ tax around this time of year last year with a special and AFTER rebate at Academy. You could also consider a Mossberg 500 if that's more of your flavor. There would also be the option to look at some sort of pistol, or used pistol. I think that if you're first starting your collection, a used rifle is a great way to start; you can get a great rifle and other stuff, and still have the quality. Best of luck to you buddy.

(Centre County)

Make sure of what you are getting when you get the certificate for "goods of equal value" normally it has to be something that is stocked in the store or that they can order through their warehouse. If they don't carry Mosins you won't get one. Also, don't be surprised if the value of the certificate is not that same as the retail price of the gun. Typically they will give you the equivalent of their wholesale price (what it cost them to get it into the store).

IMO you would be better off taking the rifle, selling it (start by posting it here) and then take the money and buy what you want. I think you will be dollars ahead.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I think that's very good advice Xring, especially if as you stated they will give you the wholesale gift certificate amount, since they were doing the fundraiser people a favor. IF this is the case, I'd also take the rifle and sell it myself as an individual. As he said, then you'll have the cash to do what you want, and that would probably be a step ahead.

(Armstrong County)

Stop with the Mosin junk. I doubt they will be worth anything in the future and although they might make a marginal hunting rifle, why not buy a new remington 700 ? They're a hell of a lot nicer to look at and in the usual whitetail calibers of .30-06,.270, or .308 ammo might not be cheaper than dirt but it is plentiful.
    I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

(Philadelphia County)

Remington 700 in (.30-06 or .308win)
    You will love it.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; October 20th, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CENTERMAST View Post
    Stop with the Mosin junk. I doubt they will be worth anything in the future and although they might make a marginal hunting rifle, why not buy a new remington 700 ? They're a hell of a lot nicer to look at and in the usual whitetail calibers of .30-06,.270, or .308 ammo might not be cheaper than dirt but it is plentiful.
    They are not junk, not by a long shot. If you want to hunt with one get an M38. Ammo is plentiful and every gun store around here has soft point 7.62x54. I regularly take mil-surps hunting. They are very accurate. If you are dead set on the Mosin find an M38, you will have plenty of money left over.

Or you can buy a .30-30 lever action. They are very nice and will serve you well. You would have money left over with that choice, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast