Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: SEPA Milling Party?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I figured we would all split the costs of what ever materials were needed to keep the mill going.
    I am trying to get some realistic sense of the durability of a quality end mill.
    I don't want to suggest everyone bring their own if that is totally overkill.
    But if end mills really do wear that quickly then everyone may need to bring one, or one for every two or three pieces, or whatever.
    I am asking for an experienced estimate on that since they will need to be ordered ahead of time.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Anybody know how much wear the end mill will take before needing replacement?
    People may need to bring more depending on how many will show up.
    I think the end mill will last a long time milling aluminum, if it is a decent end mill. There are a few questions, though. What is the end mill made of? is it coated? Is lubricant available? Is the drill press able to run at the correct, or close to correct, speed for the diameter of the end mill and the material being cut? Those will be factors in the life of the end mill, and the quality of the machining. A few other questions. Is the work being one on a drill press, or a milling machine? Is a 2- axis vise available? Is there compressed air available? I watched a few videos, (and have been involved in designing machined parts, although I am not a machinist by any stretch), and this is not a 15 or 20 minute job with drill press, or even a milling machine. There are already a number of people, myself included, expressing interest in this event, but this could turn into too much for a single event. I like the idea, and would like to meet more poofers, but I don't really want to spend 12 hours getting this done. Has anyone here done this before, and if so, how long did it take?
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I believe you re-sharpen the mill, but that may not be expeditious if people are waiting.

Bern, even with your mystical powers of destruction, I doubt you could destroy a hardened tool steel bit working on a piece of aluminum alloy.

Does anyone know what size is used for these? I have a couple here that I used for a small job some time ago.
    3/8" dia. flat end mill, milling 1.24" deep, for the majority, and I believe 5/16" dia. flat end mill, milling .62" deep for lowers requiring the smaller pocket to the rear to be completed. Also, 3/8" dia. and 5/32" dia. drill bits. one hole with the 3/8", and (2) holes with the 5/32", through the thickness of the lower, so if no one does anything stupid , the drill bits should last forever.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I think the end mill will last a long time milling aluminum, if it is a decent end mill. There are a few questions, though. What is the end mill made of? is it coated? Is lubricant available? Is the drill press able to run at the correct, or close to correct, speed for the diameter of the end mill and the material being cut? Those will be factors in the life of the end mill, and the quality of the machining. A few other questions. Is the work being one on a drill press, or a milling machine? Is a 2- axis vise available? Is there compressed air available? I watched a few videos, (and have been involved in designing machined parts, although I am not a machinist by any stretch), and this is not a 15 or 20 minute job with drill press, or even a milling machine. There are already a number of people, myself included, expressing interest in this event, but this could turn into too much for a single event. I like the idea, and would like to meet more poofers, but I don't really want to spend 12 hours getting this done. Has anyone here done this before, and if so, how long did it take?
    You ask more questions than a 4 year old. All of the mill bits that I have are high quality probably from the '60's or 70's and many of them have never been used. I have more of them that I can count and I just sorted through them last week. Sharpening those is beyond my pay grade. I don't know about that axis thing but there is a vise or two that mount on the lathe bed under the mill head and you can movie it front and back and left and right. You can even spin it some degrees if you want to as you can the mill head. The mill head has about six speeds. I agree, AL vs hardened steel and steel will win big. Air is available and I have oil and oil cans. You'll shit yourself when you see how many drill bits I have and I have a highfalutin drill bit sharpener that will put a better than new edge on any bit in no time. I sharpen bits for cheap so if you need some done bring a few extra bucks and we'll fix you right up.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    3/8" dia. flat end mill, milling 1.24" deep, for the majority, and I believe 5/16" dia. flat end mill, milling .62" deep for lowers requiring the smaller pocket to the rear to be completed. Also, 3/8" dia. and 5/32" dia. drill bits. one hole with the 3/8", and (2) holes with the 5/32", through the thickness of the lower, so if no one does anything stupid , the drill bits should last forever.
    Alpaca, if you want to confirm these sizes are indicated with your specific jig, I can order a carbide set of what is needed.
    Everyone that uses the mill can chip in for the cost of a quality set of bits.

We could use an experienced estimate of the time it will take to mill a lower on Walleye's milling machine.

(Berks County)

Alpaca, if you want to confirm these sizes are indicated with your specific jig, I can order a carbide set of what is needed.

We could use an experienced estimate of the time it will take to mill a lower on Walleye's milling machine.
    I have a good, knowledgeable guy who is going to get me/us started on this. I'm confident that he is proficient and will set us straight.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Adding: Or confirm that Walleye has the needed end mill bit sizes for your jig.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Wife - "Babe, who's that Amish man pulling into our driveway?"

Me - "He's taking me to a milking party."
    The offer stands if you want a ride, I don't mind doing it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have a good, knowledgeable guy who is going to get me/us started on this. I'm confident that he is proficient and will set us straight.
    Can you get a milling time estimate from him.
    May as well know how many people will be practical for a single event.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You ask more questions than a 4 year old. All of the mill bits that I have are high quality probably from the '60's or 70's and many of them have never been used. I have more of them that I can count and I just sorted through them last week. Sharpening those is beyond my pay grade. I don't know about that axis thing but there is a vise or two that mount on the lathe bed under the mill head and you can movie it front and back and left and right. You can even spin it some degrees if you want to as you can the mill head. The mill head has about six speeds. I agree, AL vs hardened steel and steel will win big. Air is available and I have oil and oil cans. You'll shit yourself when you see how many drill bits I have and I have a highfalutin drill bit sharpener that will put a better than new edge on any bit in no time. I sharpen bits for cheap so if you need some done bring a few extra bucks and we'll fix you right up.
    Somebody has to ask 'em!! It sounds like you have it covered with the machine and the vise, the air, and the drill bits. Yeah, I don't think it's really feasible to sharpen end mills. I will do a bit of research on the speeds recommended for each size of bit or end mill. From what I saw on the videos, if one is not careful, the jig can get boogered up around the guide slot, so whoever has the jig must be prepared for it to be sacrificed. Of course, I am willing to split the costs for a jig, if it gets ruined. Probably there should be a second jig available anyway, just in case.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast