Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: SEPA Milling Party?

They look pretty respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I also have the 5D Tactical jig, used it yesterday to mill out two 80% lowers. Took about an hour and 15/20 minutes (each) to complete and clean up the work area where chips went if not sucked up by the vacuum you can attach to the jig. Now I have to do the abrasive blasting to get them ready to be Cerakoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I believe that an hour is record time as this point. And if you made no errors on it even better, congrats.
    Yeah that's flying!

I spend more than an hour vacuuming chips during my jobs, but I'm doing it very cautiously.

Came out great, just finished the build and so far, everything seems to work as it should...not fired yet thanks to China shutting down my range.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I believe that an hour is record time as this point. And if you made no errors on it even better, congrats.
    Thanks, I have had lots of practice using a router for wood working so that might give me a bit of an advantage.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Erie County)

I milled a second 80% lower today. I used my 5D tactical jig, my DeWalt router AND this time I used Tapmatic Aluminum cutting fluid and the results where much better than the last time. It did take longer due to the cutting fluid making the cutting chips stick to everything but the finish was much better. I had to vac out the recess after every pass but that only took about 15 seconds per pass. I also took a one gallon freezer bag and cut off the zip top and both sides and taped it to the jig to make a shield to keep the chips contained. The only complaint that I have is the bore for the safety selector has a very fine burr on both outsides of the bore. I am guessing that is from the drilling process. My brother has a deburring tool that I am going to try out later this week and see how it does at removing the raised burr.

As a side note, I used about 3 ounces of cutting fluid to finish this lower, I found that when you have the correct amount of cutting fluid in the cavity it turns into a fine mist while milling. The only other complaint/observation is that it is rather difficult to see down into the cavity while milling out the material. I could not come up with a satisfactory lighting solution using normal means. I found that by holding my Streamlight AA flash light in my teeth I could aim down into the cavity and see what I was doing. Not the best solution but it got the job done.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

Tap Magic? That's what I used, worked awesome.

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

I actually did BETTER on my first one than second.

On my second one, my only mistake is that my safety selector hole is a little out-of round, almost oval-shaped. I'm worried about a wobbly switch, so would a little JB Weld and cleanup with drill bit fix that safely?

I think my jig's hole was just expanded a little on the second use and that caused it.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    I actually did BETTER on my first one than second.

On my second one, my only mistake is that my safety selector hole is a little out-of round, almost oval-shaped. I'm worried about a wobbly switch, so would a little JB Weld and cleanup with drill bit fix that safely?

I think my jig's hole was just expanded a little on the second use and that caused it.
    I don*t see why not. It is not a high stress area.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Chester County)

Apparently I am really late to the party here, I just found this thread recently. Sorry to dig up something that hasn*t been active for 6 months plus, but does anyone have interest in getting this going again? I just started a thread looking for a mill that someone could give me access to (with supervision) for a project.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast