Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Monroe LTCF Denial over references

I thought the reference requirement was illegal or something?

Or is this one of those counties that makes up their own rules?
    I've written down references, but none have ever been contacted.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Same here. No refrences ever checked. We' ll see with our new Sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

you'd have to speak with joshua, i was under the impression that "IN COUNTY" references were illegal because the PSP did not state as such on the form they give the sheriffs to use.
    and the post cards were illegal because they violate your privacy twice per application, enabling anyone between your written party and the sheriff to see your info for a conceal permit.

it was a county that made up its own rules, but not as bad as the counties that used to just pocket extra money off the fee they decided to charge.

last time i renewed was before the injunction, my refs were contacted.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Montgomery County)

Never had references contacted.

Lycoming county was(not sure today) on the spot issue.
    I wanna say Schuylkill county took 2 weeks to process and mail it out, again no contacts.
    (I will apply in montco 6 months or more ahead of expiration if im not out of the county by then. Also, fuck this leftist hellhole, at least the people are useless but pay well. )

I always figured they just ran the names and addresses to see if to came back for being known offenders, active warrants, etc. Like the kind of people who might wanna straw-buy, or possibly steal a firearm.
    If thats who youd use as reference material, it doesnt speak well to your own proclivities.

(Monroe County)

I just spoke to someone that went in to apply for an ltcf for the first time. They were told that references are no longer needed per Sheriff Ken Morris.

I would go over there and see what they can do. You're gearing up for war and getting ready to spend crazy money on attorney when this can probably be resolved with another visit and another 20 dollars. I'd rather spend another 20 than thousands of dollars.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Banks View Post
    I just spoke to someone that went in to apply for an ltcf for the first time. They were told that references are no longer needed per Sheriff Ken Morris.

I would go over there and see what they can do. You're gearing up for war and getting ready to spend crazy money on attorney when this can probably be resolved with another visit and another 20 dollars. I'd rather spend another 20 than thousands of dollars.
    You're probably right, but if there has been a "denial", the legal options are:

1. Appeal within 30 days.
    2. Wait a year and apply again.

An hour or two of an attorneys time, and an "offical" call to seek clarification hardly seems like overkill. Even when the government doesn't follow the law, expect them to hold you to every detail, and act accordingly.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    You're probably right, but if there has been a "denial", the legal options are:

1. Appeal within 30 days.
    2. Wait a year and apply again.

An hour or two of an attorneys time, and an "offical" call to seek clarification hardly seems like overkill. Even when the government doesn't follow the law, expect them to hold you to every detail, and act accordingly.
    I completely agree. Doesn't hurt to try and fix it on your own first. Worst they can do is say "we can't do anything about it", that's when you go lawyer.

Like I stated in an earlier post, my wife was denied on paper. She went over there and told her bring us another reference, we'll accept the one we already have. She did that and everything was fine. No appeal process, no waiting a year and no lawyers.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I will apply in montco 6 months or more ahead of expiration if im not out of the county by then. Also, fuck this leftist hellhole, at least the people are useless but pay well.
    Recently renewed mine in Montco by email. Got an immediate response saying if you don't hear from us in 10 days, come get it. Sure enough, it was ready as promised. My references weren't contacted. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. A couple other people walked in after me, so another sheriff stepped up to the counter to keep things moving. It was all very efficient and professional. I was pleasantly surprised.

That said, you're correct that Montco is a leftist hellhole. Lived here all of my 60 years; it used to be a bastion of conservatism. Then the libs starting moving in from Philly because the politicians they continued to vote for turned it into a shit hole....yet they refuse to change their voting behavior! (Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.) Same with Delco and Bucks. And of course the New York and north Jersey transplants are doing the same to Monroe and, to a lesser extent, Pike where I have a weekend place.

References are required on the form per state law. Whether the sheriff touches them or not is probably their discretion. PICS seems suffucent
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Lycoming County)

You may want to contact Joshua Prince (SigForLife on this forum). He was responsible for the Philly lawsuit about requiring and contacting references.

Here's a thread about it: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=268464&page=2

Philly got dinged hard for disclosing private info by contacting references a few years ago. If this goes forward you might want to remind them of that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast