Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default To Legion or not to Legion, that is the question

So, if you've seen my shop question, you know I'm looking for Sig P229 Legion RX. The main thing that prompted this on short notice was that they just let us know that Constables can qualify with a second firearm again. So I wanted to go for a better model of the Sig that I've been very happy with.

However, apparently due to a model change where the Legion RX is going to be going with a different model reflex sight sometime next year. So, currently, I can't find one locally. I can find them on Gunbroker, so I do have that option.

Locally, I can find quite a few P229 RXs and P229 Legions. The main reason I decided I would like to get the Legion RX was for the underbarrel rail for a light, and the reflex sight. I can get both on the standard RX. If I get a plain Legion, I can probably get a slide conversion kit for the new model RX when it comes out (probably for about $700-800).

Should I just get the RX, and then maybe a year or two down the road get the Legion RX? Or get a Legion now and the slide sometime next year?

The reason I'm hesitant to just get one on Gunbroker is I'm going to be using about $300 in Visa gift cards on it, and while the local shops I've asked about it don't have a problem, I haven't been able to get a response from the Gunbroker sellers yet.

And the reason I'm trying to get it by the end of the year is I haven't had a lot of expenses as a constable this year and would like to offset some of of my income.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: To Legion or not to Legion, that is the question

I'm not sure that I can really be very helpful here. Throwing my .02 in for my own education.

Are you planning on carrying the gun with red dot sight?

Although my eyesight would greatly benefit from using a red dot sight. I find myself hunting for the reticle way more than I should be. I know I need more practice, but I personally am not proficient with a RDS yet.

So while I have purchased a RDS, I decided to mount it on my P220(because it's a range gun) and upgraded my 229 with TruGlo sights

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I realize I'm going to need time training with the red dot. The class I'm going to take to qualify with it will be in May. I'm going to put at least 3K rounds through it before the class. If I'm still having issues with it then, I'll take off the red dot to qualify and then keep training with it until I'm comfortable carrying with it.

Also, got a hold of one of the Gunbroker sellers. They will take the gift cards. So, now I just need to make the decision.

Edit: going for the Gunbroker option.
    Last edited by t1066; December 28th, 2019 at 02:48 PM.

(Bucks County)

Can't your local gun shop order what you want?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    Can't your local gun shop order what you want?
    Seems like he wants the purchase to be in 2019 for tax purposes.

I'm waiting for the new P320 RXs with the Romeo 1 Pro to start shipping.

Just far enough from Philly, Pennsylvania

The legion model gets you some factory extras. The short reset trigger, extra checkering, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I realize I'm going to need time training with the red dot. The class I'm going to take to qualify with it will be in May. I'm going to put at least 3K rounds through it before the class. If I'm still having issues with it then, I'll take off the red dot to qualify and then keep training with it until I'm comfortable carrying with it.

Also, got a hold of one of the Gunbroker sellers. They will take the gift cards. So, now I just need to make the decision.

Edit: going for the Gunbroker option.
    Your best bet for getting used to the red dot is dry fire. Dry fire 10x more than you live fire. You'll see faster gains and it's free. Just do it 15 min a day and verify with live fire a couple times a month. You will be ready to go. Check out drills on YouTube if you want but a great drill to test just about everything is el prez. I practice it all the time in back yard.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Well, it arrived today.

Now I need to find a L2 or L3 retention holster.

Anybody have any suggestions? I've already checked with Safariland and they don't have one for the Legion RX.

(Bucks County)

Looks like I can get what I want from this place:

https://t5customkydex.com/custom/

However they aren't showing them until they start taking orders again on the 10th.

Also, made it to the range tonight. Good thing I did, this was the last day of my membership. I'll re-up the next time I go in.

Had a failure to load on one magazine. Tried 3 times and it looks like it was hitting high on the barrel. Not sure the cause though. I took the top round out, and then it worked. I verified I hadn't gone over 15 before removing the round too.

Too much pressure from the spring cocking the tip of the round up maybe?

Other than that, I'm really liking the reflex sight. Though I did have to take off my magnifying shooting glasses and put on plain ones. That should carry over well if I ever have to use in while on duty. And as a testament to my trainers, I'm not having to spend much time finding the dot. I bring it up in line with the iron sights very close to my intended point of aim, and the dot is almost where I want it better than 90% of the time.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Looks like I can get what I want from this place:

https://t5customkydex.com/custom/

However they aren't showing them until they start taking orders again on the 10th.

Also, made it to the range tonight. Good thing I did, this was the last day of my membership. I'll re-up the next time I go in.

Had a failure to load on one magazine. Tried 3 times and it looks like it was hitting high on the barrel. Not sure the cause though. I took the top round out, and then it worked. I verified I hadn't gone over 15 before removing the round too.

Too much pressure from the spring cocking the tip of the round up maybe?

Other than that, I'm really liking the reflex sight. Though I did have to take off my magnifying shooting glasses and put on plain ones. That should carry over well if I ever have to use in while on duty. And as a testament to my trainers, I'm not having to spend much time finding the dot. I bring it up in line with the iron sights very close to my intended point of aim, and the dot is almost where I want it better than 90% of the time.
    If the other mags are working properly then it is most likely a bad mag, maybe the feed lips are warped just enough to cause a problem under full spring pressure.
    Test several other mags repeatedly to make sure you are not getting the same recurring problem, since that would indicate there is a problem with the gun itself.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast