Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Beretta 81 Oaks Show Find

If you haven't heard, Italian police trade Beretta 81s have flooded the US market at a very good price. I snagged this one at the Oaks show for a steal ($165). The vendor selling them for $165 allowed me to mix and match frames, slides and barrels (reminded me of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly except that I paid at the end ) so I assembled mine for the least amount of pitting.

I'm really nerding out over this. For one, it's a Beretta for cheap. Two, I keep thinking of what kind of police officer carried this (or the main parts)... Was he a normal guy who kissed his wife and kids before going to work? Was he a crooked cop on the mob's payroll? Was he a philanderer who got dressed and strapped on this .32acp to go back to work after a nooner with his beautiful Italian girlfriend?

Looking forward to shooting it.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Beretta 81 Oaks Show Find

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    If you haven't heard, Italian police trade Beretta 81s have flooded the US market at a very good price. I snagged this one at the Oaks show for a steal ($165). The vendor selling them for $165 allowed me to mix and match frames, slides and barrels (reminded me of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly except that I paid at the end ) so I assembled mine for the least amount of pitting.

I'm really nerding out over this. For one, it's a Beretta for cheap. Two, I keep thinking of what kind of police officer carried this (or the main parts)... Was he a normal guy who kissed his wife and kids before going to work? Was he a crooked cop on the mob's payroll? Was he a philanderer who got dressed and strapped on this .32acp to go back to work after a nooner with his beautiful Italian girlfriend?

Looking forward to shooting it.

Wow, I'm jealous. I picked up a nice one as well for 200 that is all matching. Nice dealer to let you do that. I remember the 165's, but didn't go back. Oh well. I found a box of Fiocchi 32 acp for 5$, so that was good.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    Wow, I'm jealous. I picked up a nice one as well for 200 that is all matching. Nice dealer to let you do that. I remember the 165's, but didn't go back. Oh well. I found a box of Fiocchi 32 acp for 5$, so that was good.
    Good price as well! The lowest otherwise I saw was $239. The $165s all had heavy pitting on at least one component.

Do you know how to strip the slide? I'd like to clean out the firing pin channel and extractor but couldn't get the extractor pin to move and didn't want to force anything. It looks like maybe it's staked at the top, so you have to drive it out from the top of the slide towards the bottom. Not sure if the firing pin has to be compressed at the same time to release the pin.

(Tioga County)

Surplus magazines for them have been imported now. $35 at Classic Firearms.

I love mine, really fun to shoot, no real recoil, kinda like a super 22LR.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Surplus magazines for them have been imported now. $35 at Classic Firearms.

I love mine, really fun to shoot, no real recoil, kinda like a super 22LR.
    I got a sweet one from DK. I've wanted one for years but not for $700.

Robertson's Trading Post modified the feed lips on new Mec-Gar Model 84 .380 mags. 3 for $81 shipped. https://www.gunsamerica.com/96082814...p-lower-48.htm

Classic hocking the used 81 mags they couldn't ship with the pistols to ban states, makes me hate them even more.

(Bucks County)

Wish i could help you but i don't know. Good idea though.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    Wish i could help you but i don't know. Good idea though.
    After looking at the slide closely and the schematic on Numrich, it's only the one pin holding the firing pin and extractor in place. The issue is that the pin is held in place by staking which you'd have to remove first, then re-do once reinstalled. I called Beretta and they confirmed this.

Since my firing pin and extractor move freely I'm probably just going to leave it since my staking will not even be close to how clean it currently looks. I did put some flawless rounds through today. Hits high left but I'm not going to file the rear sight and it's rusted in place pretty well so I couldn't wack it enough to move it for windage yet.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I was standing next to you when you were doing that. Remember saying to myself not to buy from this vendor! Didn't want guns with parts mashed together. I came very close to getting one too but couldn't get over pitting. Saw them for as low as $125. Yes, they were attractively priced but I think they'll be around. You pulled the trigger. I didn't. Great looking gun.

(Allegheny County)

FYI you can get brand new mags from Beretta right now for $29.10 using code CLS40.

Link: https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/ber...-12-rd/c85888/

Not sure what the shipping is though.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    FYI you can get brand new mags from Beretta right now for $29.10 using code CLS40.

Link: https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/ber...-12-rd/c85888/

Not sure what the shipping is though.
    Buy three and it's free.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast