Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Which AR Stock For Remington 870? Photos Please!

I traded my 590 for an 870 tactical earlier today, put a few boxes of shells through it to confirm function and now it's time to put a collapsible pistol grip stock on it. Being able to easily adjust the length, add a cheek riser, and just have something different from my other shotguns will be cool. I'm looking at the Tacstar kit, Archangel stock and maybe a Mesa Tactical LEO adapter. The factory stock on the 870 is sooooooo much better than the Magpul stock I had on the 590. Just my opinion but I HATE that stock.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Which AR Stock For Remington 870? Photos Please!

I would check to make sure you have forged ejector in that 870 rather than a MIM ejector.

Last edited by JenniferG; December 10th, 2019 at 03:21 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I would check to make sure you have forged ejector in that 870 rather than a MIM ejector.

Oh yeah, I bought a left hand safety, volquartsen extractor, carrier spring, Choate +4 magazine extension to cut down to 6 3/4" with a pipe cutter so it's flush with the muzzle, and Nordic components follower.

Mesa Leo adapter with endine buffer and moe sl-k.Attachment 131140

(Allegheny County)

Since this thread was bumped up from the dead, I will be the asshole that says...

AR stocks on shotguns (particularly when not designed right) are stupid. No offense to people who have them - you do you. But they are usually crappy for one or more of the following reasons (depending on the implementation).

Poor DAC Bad drop at comb means getting your eye to whatever optic (bead, ghost ring, or red dot) sucks. Yeah you can add a cheek riser to some stocks, but why should you hack on something to get something you hacked on to work right?

Poor DAH Some implementations have a severe drop at heel. This increases felt recoil. Not what you want.

Poor LOP Yeah your stock might be adjustable. But if your range of adjustment goes from too long to way too long, it doesn't really help.

No recoil pad AR stocks were designed for .223 and 5.56. They have just about no recoil pad. About the only thing you'll be comfortable shooting using one is 12ga target loads. Which is just about the last thing you should be shooting out of a shotgun you'll be putting this kind of stock on.

Ugly Self explanatory. Looks about as out of place as one of those tactical lever guns.

I don't care for them on a shotgun either. Mesa Tactical makes quality items though and I suspect his will function as intended for a long while.

If u have a magpul or m4 stock u can get recoil pads. I use one on my 458 socom. It was on the 870 shotgun.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post

That’s all about extractors nothing about ejectors.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    That’s all about extractors nothing about ejectors.
    Haha, I didn't notice. I wasn't really paying attention to the post anyway. Since, you know ... it had nothing to do with what I asked.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Since this thread was bumped up from the dead, I will be the asshole that says...

AR stocks on shotguns (particularly when not designed right) are stupid. No offense to people who have them - you do you. But they are usually crappy for one or more of the following reasons (depending on the implementation).

Poor DAC Bad drop at comb means getting your eye to whatever optic (bead, ghost ring, or red dot) sucks. Yeah you can add a cheek riser to some stocks, but why should you hack on something to get something you hacked on to work right?

Poor DAH Some implementations have a severe drop at heel. This increases felt recoil. Not what you want.

Poor LOP Yeah your stock might be adjustable. But if your range of adjustment goes from too long to way too long, it doesn't really help.

No recoil pad AR stocks were designed for .223 and 5.56. They have just about no recoil pad. About the only thing you'll be comfortable shooting using one is 12ga target loads. Which is just about the last thing you should be shooting out of a shotgun you'll be putting this kind of stock on.

Ugly Self explanatory. Looks about as out of place as one of those tactical lever guns.
    I agree with some of what you said but other things not so much. I tend to get punched in the face every time I try one, used to think it was just THAT stock but it's all of them. Also, my experience has been that the angle of the stock CAN increase felt recoil or at least, create a greater disruption of sight picture and slower subsequent shots. I've actually seen a few videos where people were trying to demonstrate the recoil reducing properties of the hydraulic buffer tubes but come way off target after every shot. I wanted a shorter length of pull and the ability to add a cheek riser for using red dots because chin welds suck. The magpul stock is what some folks suggested but I had one on my 590 and hated the grip angle. That and the magpul stocks are UGLY. The ATI piece of shit I bought had a length of pull adjustment from 13 1/2" (virtually identical length to the factory stock) out to something stupid like 16" or so but that's the only time I've ever seen anything like that. I ended up making some modifications and got it down to 12" to 15" before I sold it for pennies on the dollar just to get rid of it. Without a recoil pad (stupid idea), you could have made it as short as 11". I'm using a Hogue set now on my 870 anyway. I took the red dot off because it wasn't comfortable to use without some kind of cheek riser. The XS ghost rings work fine at this height but they're just a bit slower than a dot. As for the length of pull; I'd like it to be shorter but it doesn't prevent me from effectively using the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast