Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Going to look for AR15 at a gun show

Hello everyone, I posted a little while ago about suggestions on a semi automatic rifle. I have decided that my first will be an AR15 I am still unsure what brand and type to get though. There is a fairly large gun show tomorrow that I was thinking of heading to. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for to avoid getting ripped off. Also if I buy a used gun, what should I look for to make sure its in good condition?

My main concern is durability, i don't need any extras, I can get those later right? Any suggestions on good solid AR15's that I can research before going to the show?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Going to look for AR15 at a gun show

Only ones I'd avoid personally are Model 1 and Olympic. Look for CMMG they sometimes have deals on "bulk" M4geries, like $550 or so. The furniture and all might not match but the internals are new and CMMG makes good stuff.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Perry County)

Why would you avoid Model 1?? I built a couple rifles from them and none have broken or jammed on me in over thousands of rounds.
    "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum." - Rowdy Roddy Piper

(Allegheny County)

And the logic of avoiding an Oly??

OK, I think I'm going to look for a colt, armalite, bushmaster, or CMMG, anything wrong with any of these brands, or any other brands I should consider. Also one last question, multiple people have recommended a M4. I'm not even quite sure what makes an AR15 a M4, or why they come so highly recommended. If anyone could explain that to me that would be great.

(Philadelphia County)

Because personally I have heard a lot of people that have had problems with them. There are be many people that have had no problem whatsoever and I am glad to hear you are one of them. I am not the type to get agressive with the don't buy from them they're all crap stuff, I just personally made a choice to steer clear of them. There are more than enough different manufacturers that I feel I can afford to steer clear of a couple suspect companies and not limit myself at all on what I want to buy even when I do have a very specific idea of what I am looking for.

ETA - A M4 has a shorter barrel and gas system and an adjustable stock which makes lighter and easier to handle in confined spaces such as MOUT/CQB, the adj. stock allows for adj. of the length of pull while wearing body armor/tac vests. The shorter barrel lowers the velocity of the bullet reducing effective range and the shorter gas system can cause cycling problems if not regularly maintained and lubricated. However in CQB situations the reduction in long range effectiveness is moot.
    Last edited by Legion_Prime; October 18th, 2008 at 02:17 AM.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

The shorter barrel lowers the velocity of the bullet reducing effective range and the shorter gas system can cause cycling problems if not regularly maintained and lubricated. However in CQB situations the reduction in long range effectiveness is moot.
    Ah, then maybe a M4 isnt the right gun for me, for close quarters(defense of my home) I was thinking that a good semi automatic shotgun would be the best line of defense, and I plan on getting one. Other then for fun, and hunting random small animals, I want the AR-15 for an OH SH*T situation, where all hell breaks looses and the US Government looses control and is no longer able to protect its citizens, and/or requires civilian assistance. I'm not sure what gun would be best in that situation, but other then fun that is my main reason for buying one.

Also I'm sorry if asking the question of which brands to look for upset some people, I know that probably every brand of AR15 is owned by several people on the forum, I'm just looking for brands that are considered industry standards, and that have a good reputation for longevity and durability. If Obama takes office and signs some crazy law that completely prevents me from getting another rifle, I need this one to last.

(Perry County)

Dont forget that the M4 has the stepped barrel for your M203...... when you get one.
    "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum." - Rowdy Roddy Piper