Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Transferring an online handgun purchase

When you order a new handgun from an online dealer because the price is better than your local gun store, how do you handle the transfer at your end? I've done it with used guns from individual sellers because the LGS didn't have what I wanted, but it just seems pretty crude to ask them to transfer a new gun that they could have sold to you themselves at a profit. For instance, suppose that a license was needed to transfer a laptop computer. You buy one online and have it sent to your local store-front computer repair place where they sell the same item for $100 more, and ask them to transfer it to you. That would be pretty awkward. In my own case I want to support my LGS and am willing to pay any reasonable premium to do so, but I just wonder what others are doing.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Transferring an online handgun purchase

I used a local guy that had a small office 10 minutes from my house. He would get the gun, prep the paperwork and schedule a time to complete the transfer all for $20. Always done in 15 minutes or less and most of that time was spent bullshitting. The guy I used has left the business but there is another local guy with a good rep, I will use his services in the future. Way smoother than the one time I did use a LGS.
    Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

(Allegheny County)

It doesn't have to be awkward. If I want a common gun, I'll ask my FFL what his price would be if he got it in for me. Usually he'll try to be competitive and will also waive the transfer fee if I buy from him. There are times though that even after shipping and his transfer fee, it's still cheaper from me to buy online. He receives the item, does the transfer, collects his fee, and moves on. Most times he even says "damn, you got a good deal on that one". It's just business. If your FFL takes it personally, find another one.

(Centre County)

My thoughts are do what you can as a stocking dealer to get people into your store. Firearms are not the money maker in the firearms business, accessories are. If a stocking dealer can get you a good price on a firearm, at or near what you can get it for online (taking into account the transfer fee) then you make friends with the dealer and down the road that might pay dividends. I would not take sales tax into account any more because of the changes that are happening that on line dealers will be charging the sales tax for the state the gun is going to. Also, most dealers will waive the transfer/paperwork fee if you buy from them.

Those dealers that charge an exorbitant transfer fee for a person buying on line are just hurting themselves. Lower the fee and get the person in the door then sell them the accessories (ammo, slings, carrying case, cleaning equipment, boots, gloves, camo, etc., etc., etc,) that is where the money is.

It's really not awkward, the gun dealers do it all the time as part of their business and the savvy gun dealer knows how to make money from the low cost transfers. If the dealer wants too much to do the transfer, look elsewhere, there are plenty will will welcome your business.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I try to buy from the store if it's a common gun, find price online add shipping and transfer plus $30 and try to find a store with a price close to that. Or go to a store that doesnt stock many guns.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    It doesn't have to be awkward. If I want a common gun, I'll ask my FFL what his price would be if he got it in for me. Usually he'll try to be competitive and will also waive the transfer fee if I buy from him. There are times though that even after shipping and his transfer fee, it's still cheaper from me to buy online. He receives the item, does the transfer, collects his fee, and moves on. Most times he even says "damn, you got a good deal on that one". It's just business. If your FFL takes it personally, find another one.
    Same story with me. Heh we might have the same FFL.

(Lycoming County)

^^^this^^^

I ordered a revolver a couple months ago online. The sale price was a hundred dollars below what my LGS could get it for me. No hard feelings, I ended up putting another gun on layaway while I was picking up my online purchase from him too. I have a fairly long relationship with this particular LGS and I've bought from him over the years and transferred a few from online also. Most dealers don't take it personally and most of the time I buy some ammo or a holster for the gun I'm transferring while I'm there, so they're probably making as much as if I bought it from them.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    My thoughts are do what you can as a stocking dealer to get people into your store. Firearms are not the money maker in the firearms business, accessories are. If a stocking dealer can get you a good price on a firearm, at or near what you can get it for online (taking into account the transfer fee) then you make friends with the dealer and down the road that might pay dividends. I would not take sales tax into account any more because of the changes that are happening that on line dealers will be charging the sales tax for the state the gun is going to. Also, most dealers will waive the transfer/paperwork fee if you buy from them.

Those dealers that charge an exorbitant transfer fee for a person buying on line are just hurting themselves. Lower the fee and get the person in the door then sell them the accessories (ammo, slings, carrying case, cleaning equipment, boots, gloves, camo, etc., etc., etc,) that is where the money is.

It's really not awkward, the gun dealers do it all the time as part of their business and the savvy gun dealer knows how to make money from the low cost transfers. If the dealer wants too much to do the transfer, look elsewhere, there are plenty will will welcome your business.
    Just for reference, I've transferred a couple guns through Xring and he makes it an easy process. He gets it and it's one of the reasons I use him for refinishing work even though there are closer places that do it. Customer service is king and I like many others will travel for good service and good work.

(Monroe County)

Truth
    I got a guy that gets 2-3 things at a time every couple months, I wish he would go through me but I compare the invoices that come with the guns with wholesalers that deal with home based and I keep finding out either A I couldn't of done better or B everyone but the one place he went was out of stock. So I shrug and collect my fees and have a good convo with the guy. Cause I like money.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Dauphin County)

I've bought guns online and had them transferred to Shooters Paradise in Lingelstown. The owner actually encouraged me to buy online and transfer thru him. I guess a$25 transfer fee for 5 minutes of paperwork is better than nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast