Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Antique license plates and "the law"

Right now my 1978 camaro is my daily driver. It's beautiful, and will qualify for the antique plates. Now my question is... since it's my daily driver for now, it will not meet the requirements EXACTLY for the "used once a week for activities other than show." How strict are the police round the western part of the state with this law? Once I buy a new car, I won't have an issue with this, but until then.....
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Chester County)

Default Re: Antique license plates and "the law"

I drive a 1964 CJ-5 Jeep every day. To avoid any problems with the law, I would stick to regular tags until you get your new car, then get the antique tags.

Personally I don't believe that any form of government should tell me how much I can and cannot drive my vehicle. That is why when I get my 1946 CJ-2A on the road, it's getting regular tags as well, because I want to drive it when I want to.

Per:
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-ant.pdf
    -and-
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...chap67toc.html

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or confrontational, this is a genuine question: Why do you want to do this? Is your car having trouble passing the inspection?

The big plus to Classic & Antique tags are that you get exempted from the annual inspection process. From your description, I get the impression your Camaro is in excellent condition, and it sounds like it won't have much trouble passing inspection as-is. I don't want to get wrapped around the axle on the fairness of PA auto inspections, but the inspection process focuses mainly on safety (which is your responsibility regardless of the type of tag).

Emissions compliance can be a challenge with older cars. If you drive less than 5,000 miles annually, I recall you qualify for an exemption and won't have emissions to deal with.

Consider holding off on the tag switch until you no longer need the car as a daily driver. I can't answer regarding the enforcement effort, but here are the the sanctions if you get caught: ->link<- And bear in mind you won't be permitted to operate your antique vehicle at night. So, any traffic enforcement officer familiar with the vehicle code that sees purple antique tags on a moving car at night may pull you over. While you might be able to beat sundown driving home in summer and early fall, it gets dark around here before 5 PM.

Personally, I would try to keep the existing car as PennDOT compliant as possible. The lights, brakes and many other mechanical needs can be done with hand tools. The real killer of GM cars of that era was rust & engine oil consumption. Since you're obviously planning to keep this car, these are repairs, if needed, that you'll be making anyway.

BTW, here's the application form:
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-11.pdf

Every time I read about someone reflecting on garage or inspection woes, I really feel their pain. I started driving when PA had quarterly vehicle safety inspections, and I was getting slammed with major auto repair bills as fast as I could pay them. After a while it dawned on me it was more a garage ethics problem than true safety.

Can you post the specific issue you're having with your car?

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    Right now my 1978 camaro is my daily driver. It's beautiful, and will qualify for the antique plates. Now my question is... since it's my daily driver for now, it will not meet the requirements EXACTLY for the "used once a week for activities other than show." How strict are the police round the western part of the state with this law? Once I buy a new car, I won't have an issue with this, but until then.....
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Lackawanna County)

If you try to use the car as a daily driver, plan to get pulled over.

Antique tags: 25 years old or older; exempt from annual inspection (but an inspection item violation can get you sent to a State Police mechanic for an inspection) and exempt from emissions inspections. Occasional use only, considered to be one day a week, plus travel to parades, meetings, and shows. It is NOT illegal to drive a car with the proper lights at night; most cars from the early 50s on up are properly equipped from the factory; older cars can be retrofitted, generally without losing restoration points.

Classic Tags: Same restrictions as Antique, except 15 years and NOT exempt from annual inspection.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-ant.pdf
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...chap67toc.html
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Lawrence County)

I know the LAW on tags.. which is why i asked. The reason I plan on doing so is, because I'm going to put headers on my car, and it won't pass the visual inspection section of the inspection, because it won't have a catalytic converter. Once I get antique plates, I won't have to worry about it. My camaro is in PERFECT condition, just inspected a month ago, and passed with FLYING colors... just it won't once i delete the cat.

(Delaware County)

So you know the law and you are actively engaging people here to help you break it? Do I read that right?
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    So you know the law and you are actively engaging people here to help you break it? Do I read that right?
    Actually I think there is a "hotrod" type of registration that he could get that would allow him to modify the vehicle and still stay legal.

To the OP. I'm not sure on that, but it's something you might want to check on.

Street rod plate & collector car you are required to have a reconstructed title for. Don't do that if you have a clean title, you'll kill your value.
    Classic car is emissions exempt, one time registaration but must pass inspection. Antique is one time registration & no inspection but must have other daily driver. Can you drive everyday on either plate...sure just as long as you don't pass the same cop everyday who's gonna know? Your insurance may restrict milage on these plates.
    http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform...ts/fs-strv.pdf
    http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform.../fs-colveh.pdf

I know this is repeat info & not all inclusive but I have antique plates on my cars and do as I please within reason....yes I consider the Caddy engine withing reason...it should have come from the factory that way.
    Am I breaking the law? Technically yes, but so has city council, numerous plolice forces, government in general so fuck em.
    Last edited by P89; August 17th, 2009 at 12:49 PM.

(Lawrence County)

not asking to help me break it... just asking how strict the state boys are when it comes to THIS part of the law...

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    not asking to help me break it... just asking how strict the state boys are when it comes to THIS part of the law...
    How do they enforce it? They can't unless you tip them off.
    Then the worst that happens is the state pulls your title and says get a reconstructed title and get a collector car plate.

Go to a local car show, then find the guys with chopped & channeled '50 customs or someone with a engine that you know isn't stock, then ask if they have a reconstructed title. I bet 95% of them say they have a clear title. Go to any mall parking lot, pick out a truck with stacks thourgh the bed or lifted or lowered and ask them if they have a reconstructed title...my guess is no. But according to law...see what I'm getting at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast