Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Advice on an EDC .44 magnum

Looking to change out my 1911 when I get back from deployment, leaning strongly on getting a .44 mag, with a decent barrel length (nothing sub 3, maybe a bit longer), however I'm far from an expert on wheelguns. Any CC would be purely accidental.

I could be talked into a modern .45 Long colt instead.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; November 8th, 2019 at 01:26 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Advice on an EDC .44 magnum

Single action or double action?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

The S&W M69 is what you seek:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-69

Nice 5 shot L frame,wishing it was offered in .41, I sometimes carry my 657 Mountain Gun (N frame) in .41 Mag when the clothing permits, or OC it during Hunting season or any time in the woods. The 629 Mountain gun is the .44 twin. under a jacket in the right holster is very doable. I am not tall or large in girth and find cross draw very effective for me with this holster :

https://www.galcogunleather.com/phoe..._8_4_1090.html

Its nice to not have the revolver sticking out from the belt when carrying a rifle at the ready on the right side
    Last edited by SgtRecon; November 8th, 2019 at 02:23 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Ruger has some nice single and double action quality 44 mag revolvers. S&W has very nice double action revolvers. I own two S&W's so I'm partial. The best way to see which revolver "fits" you the best is to hold each one. You'll know what you like after comparing them.

MHO

(Washington County)

I've got a Redhawk and a Super Blackhawk. The Super Blackhawk is great. It's got a bisley grip and a fantastic trigger. The barrel is 3.75". The Redhawk I haven't fired yet, it's got a 5.5" barrel. Sharp looking gun, IMO. Blued.

The one on my list is the 329pd, a 4" lightweight scandium monster from Smith. It would be great for EDC, because of the weight. By all accounts the recoil is described as brutal. Also, the blast shield is a wear item. If you plan to shoot full power magnums, periodic trips back to Smith for a refurbishment would be necessary. Still, this is probably the next firearm for me.

(Lycoming County)

How big can you handle carrying and is concealment a factor? The 329 PD is probably a great choice, it's light and still has 6 rounds. It's N-frame sized though, so concealment would be a challenge. For OC it's probably the best IMHO. If you want to conceal the Model 69 is about the same size as a 686, so much easier to conceal. You lose a round though, since it's only 5 Shot. I'm reviewing a Taurus Tracker in 44mag right now for my YT channel. It's the same overall size basically as the 69, but half the cost with a ported barrel. Finish isn't great, but it's held up to almost 200rds of full house loads so far and still solid. I'm trying to get another couple hundred down the pipe before I realease my review, but unless something drastic happens it's looking like a winner for a budget big bore ccw.

That said I'm planning on getting a 329 sometime in the near future.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I could be talked into a modern .45 Long colt instead.
    The Ruger Redhawk model which is chambered in 45 colt, and also cut to accept 45 acp moon clips looks fantastic to me as well. Round butt grip, 4" barrel, partial lug... sharp. I dont know if it can take Buffalo Bore's +p loads. If so, it would be a beast.

https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5050.html
    Last edited by marinville; November 8th, 2019 at 02:50 PM.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Single action or double action?
    Don't know. The only revolver I have is a snub nose taurus .357, a mistake when I was fairly ignorant about pistols. I agree with whoever said that a snub nose gun should only be used by experts. So the only revolver I really know is double action, which of course is much easier to fire currently when you pull the hammer back. That said a single action should be much smoother. My EDC has been SA only for a long time, but even a bad 1911 trigger is better then most striker fire (and from what I've gathered) revolver triggers).

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    How big can you handle carrying and is concealment a factor?
    Concealment isn't a factor, I'll just carry my 1911 to church. (Wife drew a line in the sand there). My EDC is a Citadel 1911, commander, and my only regret is I didn't get a full size. So I'd consider anything from 3 to 6 inches.

****edit****

Jesus Man, get a better mic

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    The Ruger Redhawk model which is chambered in 45 colt, and also cut to accept 45 acp moon clips looks fantastic to me as well. Round butt grip, 4" barrel, partial lug... sharp. I dont know if it can take Buffalo Bore's +p loads. If so, it would be a beast.

https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5050.html
    To many answer R L Suehr's post better.....Not a chance I'm carrying anything in a +P or +P+ .44 Magnum.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; November 8th, 2019 at 04:24 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Delaware County)

My 2 cents.
    44 Mag revolver loaded with 44 Special.
    Good defensive round, lower recoil.
    44 is a great "punkin roller" not too fast, but good bullet weight.
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Don't know. The only revolver I have is a snub nose taurus .357, a mistake when I was fairly ignorant about pistols. I agree with whoever said that a snub nose gun should only be used by experts. So the only revolver I really know is double action, which of course is much easier to fire is single action. That said a single action should be much smoother.

Concealment isn't a factor, I'll just carry my 1911 to church. (Wife drew a line in the sand there). My EDC is a Citadel 1911, commander, and my only regret is I didn't get a full size. So I'd consider anything from 3 to 6 inches.

To many answer R L Suehr's post better.....Not a chance I'm carrying anything in a +P or +P+ .44 Magnum.
    Snubbies, are generally considered "belly guns".
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast