Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9

(Delaware County)

Default Kahr CW9

I just bought a Kahr Arms CW9 about a month ago, have thrown about 300 Winchester 115 gr ball rounds and 50 Remmington 115 gr jhp thru it with no troubles, I do see some sparks with the jhp's though. Anyone else have this weapon? How do you like it? What brand of ammo do you use?

Default Re: Kahr CW9

Where do you see sparks?
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Where do you see sparks?
    at the end of the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    at the end of the barrel

How does the crown of the muzzle look? I can't think of any time I've seen sparks other that what's associated with muzzle flash, you may want to change ammo brands for the JHP's. I prefer the Federal Hydra shocks or Speer Gold Dots my self.
    If the problem persists I'd have it checked out. Might of just been a bad batch of Remingtons...
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    How does the crown of the muzzle look? I can't think of any time I've seen sparks other that what's associated with muzzle flash, you may want to change ammo brands for the JHP's. I prefer the Federal Hydra shocks or Speer Gold Dots my self.
    If the problem persists I'd have it checked out. Might of just been a bad batch of Remingtons...
    Muzzle looks good and all 50 of the jhp's were from the same box, I'll have to try another box. It's not a lot of sparks and may be part of the flash, I just didn't notice the "few" sparks when firing the ball ammo. The jhp's are little more $ so I tend to target shoot with the less expensive fmj's

(Bedford County)

I carry the Kahr P9 more than half of my life. I have it on me right now.

For me the Kahr P9 is the perfect carry gun. It's super thin, light, and very reliable.
    I have around 1,000 rounds through mine, with no problems at all.

The only reason I chose the P9 over the CW9 is for the night sights. The CW9 has no night sights available as of yet.

I practice with whatever I can get my hands on cheap. A lot of Winchester white box. My carry load is the 147 grain Gold Dot HP.

You will love the CW9. Kahr makes a good carry gun.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Muzzle looks good and all 50 of the jhp's were from the same box, I'll have to try another box. It's not a lot of sparks and may be part of the flash, I just didn't notice the "few" sparks when firing the ball ammo. The jhp's are little more $ so I tend to target shoot with the less expensive fmj's
    It's probably just unburnt powder.

Some carry ammo is (surprisingly) flashier than fmj ammo -- Magtech, for example, is something I've seen this with pretty often. I noticed it a lot with my (now sold) PM9.

Shorter length barrels, like the 3.5" on your CW9, will do this a lot more as there isn't enough space for the powder to combust fully.

This presents something interesting for you to think about: If it is unburnt powder, then you're shooting a load with a powder that is too slow burning for the length of your gun. Because this powder isn't burning up in your barrel, you're losing pressure, which means you're losing velocity.

In your situation, I'd mess around with different loads that are more suited for a short barrel 9mm -- basically something with a fast burning powder. Speer's short barrel +p load. Or Corbon 115 gr. +p (you're going to get flash with this, but they overload powder, anyway so it doesn' t matter).

If you're really worried about it, and you ever get down to Targetmaster in Chadds Ford, I'm happy to meet up with you and take a look at it.

EDIT TO ADD: I just re-read your post. Are you shooting Remington R9MM6 (the 9mm JHP 115 gr +p) (the "Express" load) or R9MM4 (the 9mm JHP 115 gr. +p+)?

The "Express" load is sparky because they are using a cheap sparky powder. The R9MM4 load is sparky because it's hot as hell and there is a TON of powder stuffed in the casing. You're going to get sparking with R9MM4 out of anything 4" and under -- just like Corbon's load.

The R9MM4 is a really kick ass load for a short barrel 9mm -- one of the best -- even with the sparks. You'll get an honest 1200+ fps out of your CW9 with it. Probably closer to 1250.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; March 7th, 2007 at 10:12 AM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Are you shooting Remington R9MM6 (the 9mm JHP 115 gr +p) (the "Express" load) or R9MM4 (the 9mm JHP 115 gr. +p+)?
    I'm not sure which they were, the box is gone, I do have a round left and it has "R - P 9MM LUGER" stamped on the bottom, if that helps. (related photo)
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/vbimghost...yimg&imgid=805

(here's a few more photo's)
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/vbimghost...images&id=2223

Thanks for all the info and the offer, I may take you up on that someday, currently I have been shooting at Firing Line in south Philly.

Last edited by soberbyker; March 7th, 2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: corrected my images addy

(Chester County)

Can't tell from the brass -- pretty standard Remington stuff.

The bullet, though, in the one shot, appears to have 6 spiral cut serrations. That's a golden saber, unless I'm just seeing shadows.

Golden saber is a good load -- it's what I carry in my P7. It's flashy, but not overly much.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Can't tell from the brass -- pretty standard Remington stuff.

The bullet, though, in the one shot, appears to have 6 spiral cut serrations. That's a golden saber, unless I'm just seeing shadows.

Golden saber is a good load -- it's what I carry in my P7. It's flashy, but not overly much.
    Yes the round has 6 spiral cuts, the casing is silver in color, while the jacket is brass colored and I may have been mistaken about the 115 gr, they may have been 124 gr.
    Last edited by soberbyker; March 7th, 2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added info

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast