Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Reflex Sight Suggestions for AR15

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Use coupon code 704TACTICAL for an extra 5% off. Unfortunately I’m not finding any valid 10% off codes.

I just tried the above code and it worked giving $7.50 off the Nikon.
    Gotcha. Thanks.

Now I just need to research risers and if one will work.
    Looks like the Vortex Venom mounts in a similar manner, but I don't know that the height of the Nikon would end up being correct for co witness - either absolute or lower 1/3 (I don't care which)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks.

Now I just need to research risers and if one will work.
    Looks like the Vortex Venom mounts in a similar manner, but I don't know that the height of the Nikon would end up being correct for co witness - either absolute or lower 1/3 (I don't care which)
    I read on Amazon that a .05 riser will get you absolute co witnesses with this sight using the included pic rail.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Super-Slo...UXW?th=1&psc=1

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I read on Amazon that a .05 riser will get you absolute co witnesses with this sight using the included pic rail.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Super-Slo...UXW?th=1&psc=1

Cool. Appreciate the tip.
    I hadn't gotten to all the Amazon reviews so I didn't see that.

I sent Nikon my question, but I don't expect them to be of any assistance. They aren't going to recommend another company's products for use with their own.
    I can't believe they were so short sighted to NOT offer a riser for this since other companies have been mounting these micro dots on AR15s for several years now.

So far, this Nikon looks the most promising. It gives me what I want at a price I'm willing to pay while not resorting to airsoft quality.

(York County)

Here are some risers....

The AT3 Riser:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G3JC22S...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The UTG riser: https://www.amazon.com/Leapers-MT-RS...R0M&th=1&psc=1

0.83" should get you absolute co-witness. I have a couple of the UTG risers that I am using with Bushnell TRS-25 red dots. Seem to work fine.
    Live Free or Die! FJB!!!

(Allegheny County)

Welp... truck inspection blew this out of the water.
    I was all set to order that Nikon, but decided to wait to see how much money it was going to cost to inspect the truck.

I still want to get this type of sight, but maybe next spring.
    That will give me more time to research. I know that I'll be crying in a few weeks when all of them are marked down for Black Friday, but it is what it is.

I'll probably be picking up a cheap red dot instead - something I can use on another gun later when I get the reflex sight I want.

(Allegheny County)

I've got the P-Tactical SPUR mounted on my FNX 45 Tactical. Works well enough, though definitely not as nice as a full sized red dot.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I've got the P-Tactical SPUR mounted on my FNX 45 Tactical. Works well enough, though definitely not as nice as a full sized red dot.

Cool. Firsthand experience.
    Can you elaborate on the "not as nice" and what you mean by "full sized red dot"?

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

By a full sized red dot, I mean a tube style one like an Holosun HS503 or Aimpoint PRO.

So here's what I don't like:
    1) Non-standard mounting (kinda): I made a video on YT showing how to get it to fit onto a Docter plate for the FNX45. Basically, same hole pattern for the screws, but the plate's alignment lugs do not line up with the holes in the sight. Also, the stock screws have an angled shoulder on the head, so if you use a flat style head, you might not get as much contact.

2) Dirtiness: I don't know if it's because it's mounted on a pistol (that often gets shot suppressed), or if it's inherent in these kinds of sights, but I notice dirt a lot more on these lenses. I believe the tube style sights are supposed to be better for dirt because the emitter isn't out in the open exposed to the environment.

3) Brightness shifts: It's not all that bad, but I notice that the dot can get dimmer as you get to the edge of the sight window. I notice this most if I line up my iron sights.

4) Buttons: Are a bit small, and I sometimes forget which is which. They are decently clicky though.

5) Batteries: Not uncommon, but not common either (I believe CR1632). The drug stores I went to didn't have it, but Home Depot did.

What do I like?

1) Clarity: When the lens is clean, it's the clearest (color wise) of any red dot I've ever used. I find that true of all of Nikon's red dots (I also have the P-Tactical SuperDot). They have the least amount of blue tint that I've ever seen. It's still there, if you look hard enough, but you won't notice it in practice.

2) Cost: They're really affordable for what you get.

3) Field of View: Beats the pants off of the RMR. Nice and wide, and the frame is thin and unobtrusive.

For what it's worth, I like it enough to have one on backorder through Brownells (it was $120 - 10% - Active Junky). It's in stock, but other stuff in my order isn't, and I just set it to ship together.

If you want you can check it out.
    Last edited by TooBigToFit; October 30th, 2019 at 07:55 PM.

I’ve heard a lot of people state that these small reflex sights tend to collect a lot of dirt and dust due to the construction. So much so that the new Aim Point ACRO P-1 addresses that along with durability with a full body shroud.

All you need is $650-$700.00 bucks, OUCH!

https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-acro-p-1/

Last edited by Hodgie; October 30th, 2019 at 08:16 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Depends on what you expect quality wise. I have had the cheap o reflex and red dots, and on a fun 22, that's fine. The house gun (AR45 pistol) has a Trijicon reflex, and the "work" gun has a Aimpoint PRO optic (red dot). I like the Trijicon better, but the $400 price tag was pretty steep. The Aimpoint or the Trijicon are top notch and will outlast you (except the batteries), even if treated harshly.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast