Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Share your night vision set up!

Josh have you ever shot near any fires, such as a burn barrel? I am just wondering how it would effect it would have. I see you keep the pretzel jugs for brass too.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Night shoots are held daily down in Philtytown.
    Yes and when the power goes out, it will be one hell of a target rich environment. Walleye if you want to buy me a gift
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Josh have you ever shot near any fires, such as a burn barrel? I am just wondering how it would effect it would have. I see you keep the pretzel jugs for brass too.
    Two things:

Any time you are wearing nods, you can tilt your head back and look under them to confirm something you’re seeing, take advantage of a light source like a fire, shoot a pistol with iron sights, etc.

Most modern NVGs are autogated. When you encounter a light source they dim down. So I have worn my nods around a large fire a bunch of times and there is no detrimental impact to the NVGs. They are made for. I’ve also worn them in urban environments where you are going between dark areas and areas with bright street lights. No issues. Even when dimmed they are still functional and you see. They don’t dim much.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Two things:

Any time you are wearing nods, you can tilt your head back and look under them to confirm something you*re seeing, take advantage of a light source like a fire, shoot a pistol with iron sights, etc.

Most modern NVGs are autogated. When you encounter a light source they dim down. So I have worn my nods around a large fire a bunch of times and there is no detrimental impact to the NVGs. They are made for. I*ve also worn them in urban environments where you are going between dark areas and areas with bright street lights. No issues. Even when dimmed they are still functional and you see. They don*t dim much.

Ok Thanks for that info. Have you ever driven your car at night with no head lights on? Not through town but like out in the sticks. Scenery hill sounds like the sticks.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Washington County)

Lol I sure have. I also have enough property to drive a car around at night. I have friends with IR lights mounted on their vehicles. Be it vehicle mounted lights or holding a hand held light out the window, you need some IR light unless it’s the full moon and super clear. Even then you can outrun your vision at speed.

Most newer vehicles are impossible to make dark at night, on the inside and outside, so you have to get creative with covers over your dash or daytime running lights.

Lol I sure have. I also have enough property to drive a car around at night. I have friends with IR lights mounted on their vehicles. Be it vehicle mounted lights or holding a hand held light out the window, you need some IR light unless it*s the full moon and super clear. Even then you can outrun your vision at speed.

Most newer vehicles are impossible to make dark at night, on the inside and outside, so you have to get creative with covers over your dash or daytime running lights.
    What if you rig small LEDs near the light sensors. I used to do it with a cheap flashlight and cardboard box over the sensor on the fash of my Silverado

(Tioga County)

Lol I sure have. I also have enough property to drive a car around at night. I have friends with IR lights mounted on their vehicles. Be it vehicle mounted lights or holding a hand held light out the window, you need some IR light unless it*s the full moon and super clear. Even then you can outrun your vision at speed.

I use a pizza box cardboard cut out for the instrument panel and then a lot of black tape is your friend. Also if you have a mechanic skilled enough, some cars can be hacked and rewired to flip switch to kill everything.

IR lights are not necessary and cars can be driven with PVS 14s, 31s, 21s, etc. with no other illum in most conditions. I find the very bright nights or the very dark nights are the problem.

IR light of course can supplement but the thing to remember is that if the bad guys have nods, they'll see you coming a mile away.

(Washington County)

True, nothing says here I am like a IR light and laser show that rivals Trans-Siberian Orchestra

(Lancaster County)

True, nothing says here I am like a IR light and laser show that rivals Trans-Siberian Orchestra
    Think about this for a bit though. If you have a large property and you want to see if there's people approaching, it wouldn't be that difficult to string up lots of low power IR sources throughout the area. You could just sit back in your home and watch the show. Have it all aimed away from your place. It wouldn't even be difficult to design something that would turn on IR sources based upon movement using some nifty Microwave sensors that are cheap.

Now, let's say you have some sentry guns laying around. The MW sensor lets the sentry gun that there's movement afoot. The sentry gun swings to the preprogrammed coordinates of that sensor, IR lights up the area, sentry gun zooms in on target using a good quality camera.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Washington County)

It*s night shooting season! More than ever turning out to our monthly shoot with nods. Everything from basic set ups to panos.

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Lackawanna County)

Oh man I can actually contribute to this one now!
    Protection group denmark helmet
    Legit thin filmed pvs-14 in white phosphor
    Wilcox g24
    Wilcox j arm
    Tnvc Mohawk
    Dbal d2

Brown bear industries nvg recorder

https://imgur.com/a/W5NyTD9

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast