Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Kahr 9/40

(Allegheny County)

Default Kahr 9/40

Hey guys and Gals. my Buddy Falsonfour on the forum here is looking for a nice concealed carry piece. we were up at Gander Greensburg looking at pistols and the had the Kahr P9 i believe. after all the ones he tried out he liked the kahr the most.

my question is which do you prefer? he wants to go with a .40 or .45 if they make them, but i told him a lot of guys at the Westy Group shoots use the .9mm.

any input on this would be great. he needs to get it by next week. thanks
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kahr 9/40

The 9mm Kahr is a great shooter, and I feel personally that caliber needs to match gun.

As an example I can shoot the XD subcompact 9mm just fine, but that exact same gun in 40SW is difficult for me with it being so small and light.

If this turns into a 9mm vs the world caliber discussion then you need to keep in mind barrel length too. I am not sure the 45 is very effective from a short barrel, but in 9mm Speer makes a special short barrel load that I have seen outperform 40SW Hydrashocks in gel through denim shor from full size guns.

He should probally try to shoot these guns first. Annie has a CW9 and he is welcome to try it at a shoot.

Ammo cost should be taken into consideration, if he is going to carry this gun he needs to practice with it. Unless money is no object that a big plus of the 9mm.

With modern high quality ammo the 9mm will serve very well and allow for the most practice with the least cost, and i know that in 9mm that gun is nice to shoot.

just MHO

(Bucks County)

Kahr PM 9 is way to go...plastic version weighs in at 16 oz making it a true pocket gun...the 40 and 45 are heavier and ammo much more expensive, more recoil, no significant increase in stopping power. Mine has been flawless...it's the single stack 9mm pocket gun that Glock should have made.

For the subcompact size, go with the 9mm. Compact or full size, the 40 or 45. I have a MK40. It is a bit stiff.

I recently bought theCW9 and love it. I can recover for double taps much quicker than a 45. IMO the 40 is more difficult to recover than the 45. If you want to punch multiple holes into something, the 9mm is the way to go. I've heard some issues with the rails on the 40cal. Might be too hot for the rails.
    9mm in +P, Speer Gold Dots HP is a great self defense round. 9mm is cheap compared to 40 cal