Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Company email: Workplace Violence Acive Shooter Training

Received an all-employee email for my location this morning...training is in November:

"These are challenging times in society. The threat of an active shooter in populated areas and in the workplace is on the minds of the public, law enforcement, businesses, and our employees. Unfortunately, active shooter situations are unpredictable and can evolve quickly. Have you thought about what you would do in an active shooter scenario? We have asked our security consultant, the Phillips Group, to assist us in answering that question. Specifically, they have developed a training program which provides guidance to all employees, so they can prepare to respond to an active shooter situation. Over the next several weeks and months, all employees will receive this training either live in person or via video. The first of the live training sessions will be on the following days & times:

This mandatory training program will take approximately 75-90 mins and all sessions will take place in *******. Ideally, we would like @ 35 employees in each session.

We are fully committed to the safety and security of our workplace, and all employees can help prevent and prepare for potential active shooter situations. Implementing a training program such as this will give ** employees the knowledge necessary to promote situational awareness and an idea of how to respond to an unthinkable event like an active shooter. Thank You in advance for your cooperation and attention to this matter."

Being active in our "PAFOA community" I ask:
    - what questions are appropriate so as not to paint myself as the resident gun guy?
    - how does one not snicker or groan when instructed to "lock yourself in a closet" when the natural response is "2 to the body - 1 to the head?
    - all advice/experiences are appreciated.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Company email: Workplace Violence Acive Shooter Training

If you like or need your job, keep your mouth shut and go along with the festivities. At least, it will probably get you out of a couple of boring meetings!

Be prepared to hear barricade your door hide under your desk and throw books at the perp.

It will be a total waste of your time.

I had one of these at work...we're having another soon.

Ours was done by the Regional PD. It will most likely just be the same "Ride Hide Fight" video they show at almost every "active shooter training".

You may not agree with a lot of it, but it also won't be completely useless either. Just participate and try not to look crazy. If the time comes, you'll know what to do, whether it was what the lesson said or not.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Centre County)

had it where I work, short version: decide to run, fight or hide,
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Montgomery County)

Yup, agree with the above. The one real piece of advice that will certainly not be given is "train with a firearm and carry it on your person to respond if you're able to".

We had an active shooter type class (voluntary - that I went to out of curiosity) and there were two local PD officers as well as the consultant group's rep. I'm at a big company and didn't know anyone else in the room so at the end I said "couldn't employees being able to carry a firearm have a deterrent factor?" The officers didn't say much - probably because they know the reality. And the smug consultant said data shows having multiple shots being traded usually isn't a good thing...... Yeah bullshit, a one way range of people being slaughtered is a good thing?

I basically got shut down and I knew that would be the result, but perhaps I made just a few other employees think...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    If you like or need your job, keep your mouth shut and go along with the festivities. At least, it will probably get you out of a couple of boring meetings!
    ^^^This^^^

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I have a meeting tomorrow about an upcoming scenario where I work. Mine is in the gun free safe zone known as New Jersey, so I am stuck with the "run hide fight" options.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    I have a meeting tomorrow about an upcoming scenario where I work. Mine is in the gun free safe zone known as New Jersey, so I am stuck with the "run hide fight" options.
    It's NJ, they'll probably leave out the "fight" part.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    I agree. Best to keep your mouth shut. You can either get fired or "red-flagged" as a threat with all the nervous Nellies out there. I've bitten my tongue a lot of times during such training.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast