Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Parking for Philly LTCF renewal

I was pleasantly surprised today. I arrived at 0800, parked about 25 yards from the GPU building, same side of street. No signs on phone poles or anywhere else prohibiting it, and no parking meters. Beautiful. I was #5 in line, 2 renewals and two first-timers. Beautiful day made it a good beginning while I talked with the gentlemen waiting. Detective came to open the front door at precisely 0830. "Good morning, Gentlemen. Come in; sign in on the appropriate sign-in sheet, New one's on the left side of the table, renewals on the right. Your number weill be called at it is the same as the number on the sheet next to where you put YOUR INITIALS.

Met with a really nice young woman Detective. She reviewed my paperwork. No glitches not resolved by going back to my car to get my State Farm proof of insurance. Asked me to initial all answers to the questions that she asked and they were essentially the same as on the 4473. In addition, she did ask if I had a marijuana medical ID card, whether I had tatoos, and ever had any expungements. I then had to provide three signatures, one on each page where the line items I had initialed were listed. Asked me to have a seat, wait in line to get my fingerprints. Every single one of the detectives who were going by me as I waited was really friendly and cordial. No attitudes of any kind. Glad I started early. All in all, a smooth process, and I expect that having gotten there early made a difference.

I appreciate all you of you all who responded.

TB605
    Last edited by TangoBravo605; October 2nd, 2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added info

(Philadelphia County)

Proof of insurance? That doesn't sound familiar.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

sign in on the appropriate sign-in sheet, New one's on the left side of the table, renewals on the right.
    Just to correct this. The white sheet is for renewals, replacements, new licenses while the purple sheet is for pickups or status checks. White was on left and the purple was on the right.

Make sure you remember your number as the person who was giving the instructions got angry with anyone who didn't note down their numbers. I guess they've had numerous times where people forgot their numbers.

When you go back make sure you bring your letter showing they approved you, as they'll ask for it either when you first enter or when they call you to the back. The first time I went (to apply) I came in right at 8:30, there was only a handful of people picking up so they all were told to go to the back a minute after they sat down. Unfortunately when I went, after I got my letter, to pickup there was a good amount of people picking up so they did like groups of 6ish and move them near the fingerprint office until they moved one by one the person to get their photo taken and just provide a signed note with a couple questions which basically was saying you didn't get arrested since you applied.

Good advice, dbiscuit10010. I noticed that as I walked in that there was some confusion, even though so few people were there. The sign-in procedure is not exactly "intuitive" as they say. Even so, everybody was cool, especially the woman detective who was organizing the ingress. From some of the stories I heard, getting a LTCF in Philly was a discouraging process. Not this time, for me and all the rest of us who were there when I was there. Also thanks for the info on the return visit.

TB605

(Philadelphia County)

So even after the court order they are still doing the extra reference sheets and all the hub bub?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by magras View Post
    So even after the court order they are still doing the extra reference sheets and all the hub bub?
    Are they still doing the reference sheets? I didn't see it mentioned above.

(Philadelphia County)

They are not. Still provide two reference names on the application (because no government agency likes blank spaces), they are nor contacted.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

The coronavirus pandemic has led to a rush to purchase firearms and ammunition in the Philadelphia region and across Pennsylvania, leading to long lines at some gun shops.

But the Philadelphia Police Department has shut down its gun-permits unit. Firearm owners without a license-to-carry permit will, in almost all circumstances, not be able to carry the weapons on them without risking arrest.

Sheriffs offices in Montgomery County, Allegheny County and at least five Pennsylvania other counties have done the same, according to gun-rights groups who have been tracking the shutdowns.

Inspector Sekou Kinebrew, a Philadelphia police spokesperson, said the city stopped processing permits on Tuesday.
    https://www.inquirer.com/health/coro...-20200320.html

(Philadelphia County)

IMHO what the PPD is plain illegal and possibly criminal. Online or mail renewal should be in effect.

Mine is not due this year, but...as I personally noted to at least one member of the Philly Gun Permit unit about 5 years ago...an expired PA LTCF still has legal value. See 18 Pa.C.S. 6106(b)(12)

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...1.006.000..HTM

6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.

[...]

(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by inrem View Post
    IMHO what the PPD is plain illegal and possibly criminal. Online or mail renewal should be in effect.

.......[/ur
    If it’s illegal, wouldn’t that be absolutely criminal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast