Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bedford County)

Default Get rid of your guns!!! PART II

Last weekend my wife and I were watching a TV show that was about "myths".

They asked about a dozen kids and some parents...

" Would you feel safer going to a neighbors home if they had a gun or a swimming pool?"

Every single one of them answered that they would feel safer with a swimming pool due to the chance of getting shot with a gun.

They then gave the stats for accidental pool deaths as compared to accidental shootings with children under 18.

Time to ban swimming pools.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Get rid of your guns!!! PART II

With summer coming I was thinking of getting a pool, well this just made my mind up,no way will I have a pool.
    Now I don't have to worry about neighbors,or my kids friends being at my house making me go nuts.
    I will save the money for a pool and buy MORE guns. Just what I needed another reason to add to my collection.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    With summer coming I was thinking of getting a pool, well this just made my mind up,no way will I have a pool.
    Now I don't have to worry about neighbors,or my kids friends being at my house making me go nuts.
    I will save the money for a pool and buy MORE guns. Just what I needed another reason to add to my collection.
    Thats great news!

Tell your wife and kids they can thank me later.

(Perry County)

When I see polls or questions like this, I take them with a grain of salt. The way that these people phrase the question or the choices of answers that give you to choose from are meant to shape the answer to what they want.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Bucks County)

I'm actually suprised that a TV show would use that particular comparison. Not only does it help to debunk the widely held belief that the simple presence of a gun is dangerous, but that far more danger is posed by other seemingly 'harmless' and ubiquitous things. The national media is hardly a friend of the NRA or it's cause, that must have slipped past the censors!

(Bedford County)

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2896180

The program was ABC's 20/20 with John Stossel.

Watch this 2:00 clip.

(Philadelphia County)

I've actually heard a counter argument to these statistics:

Because firearms are viewed as more dangerous than pools and parents do keep their kids away from homes that have firearms more than pools, that may be in part why there are less deaths from them.

I obviously don't believe firearms are inherently dangerous, but I do like playing devil's advocate and fully scrutinizing "facts" and statistics.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Westmoreland County)

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
    Benjamin Disraeli

A case can be made in either direction. Reality is that familiarity breeds contempt. Swimming pools are common and no one heeds the warnings about them.

There was an article in Time magazine a few months back detailing risks and the perception of what is risky. It turns out that Americans are poor judges of risk. We tend to perceive rather exotic things as very risky and common things as not as risky. For example dying from lung cancer is very common yet many people smoke but there have been exactly no deaths from the avian flu but the fear of the flu causes people to spend money on flu shots and refrain from shaking hands. This might help to explain the incredible fear that inhabits the hearts of anti-gunners.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Bedford County)

Although nobody has correct numbers, most polls find that around 25% of American homes have at least one gun. So one in every four homes has a gun, there are way fewer homes with swimming pools, yet pools cause more deaths.

The problem with the 25% number is that they feel more people own guns and won't tell for a poll. So many feel the number could be as high as 35%.