Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOPA and Amtrak

(Allegheny County)

Default FOPA and Amtrak

I'm headed out to Vegas in a month or so. Instead of driving the whole way my brother suggested taking a train. Turns out taking a train to Flagstaff then driving the rest of the way to Vegas would get me there about a day earlier and I wouldn't be out gas money. As of 2017 Amtrak allows you to check firearms in checked baggage like an airline.

So here's my question. I would have a 6.5 hour layover in Chicago. Would I be covered under FOPA during this layover? I'm not sure if they give your checked bags back to you or if they hold them and transfer them to the new train but I would imagine FOPA protection hings on that. What's the POOFA brain trust have to say?

Default Re: FOPA and Amtrak

JMO,But when I fly anywhere I know the firearm checked in is on the flight with me,I don't do any layover flights as then I don't have any real control of who will have access or security of firearm.6.5 layover concerns me deeply.Take it for what its worth ! Or you could just ship it to an ffl and pick it up but its a hassle.

(Allegheny County)

If I ship it to myself in Arizona would I still have to involve an FFL?

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    I would check with an FFL at your destination and same thing on return .

(Chester County)

I'm headed out to Vegas in a month or so. Instead of driving the whole way my brother suggested taking a train. Turns out taking a train to Flagstaff then driving the rest of the way to Vegas would get me there about a day earlier and I wouldn't be out gas money. As of 2017 Amtrak allows you to check firearms in checked baggage like an airline.

So here's my question. I would have a 6.5 hour layover in Chicago. Would I be covered under FOPA during this layover? I'm not sure if they give your checked bags back to you or if they hold them and transfer them to the new train but I would imagine FOPA protection hings on that. What's the POOFA brain trust have to say?
    If you take possession of your bag with firearms during layover you have lost FOPA protection while in Chicago and are subject to the local laws. See Revell vs Port Authority on NY & NJ
    IANAL

Yes. It must be shipped to an FFL , and many FFLs will not accept firearms shipped from non-FFLs. You would then need to have the FFL basically sell/transfer it back to you , but I don't think you as a PA resident can 'buy' a handgun in AZ.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

A PA. resident can buy a firearm in any state but must be shipped to his state of residence and go thru FFL and Pics check. A lot of running around if you ask me though.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    A PA. resident can buy a handgun in any state but must be shipped to his state of residence and go thru FFL and Pics check. A lot of running around if you ask me though.
    Fixed.

Under Fed law, any interstate sale has to go through an FFL. Handguns have to be transferred to FFL in buyer's state of residence, long guns can be bought at any FFL in any state as long as the sale would be legal in both the state of the transaction and the buyer's state of residence.
    O(ld) F(at) & U(gly)

(Montgomery County)

In my opinion, taking the train is an overpriced uncomfortable shit show, and it is not worth the hassle 2A or otherwise.
    Disarming on a poorly secured mode of mass transit favored by Islamic Jihadists for attacks around the world is not my idea of a good time either.
    Best to drive or fly.
    Just my owe two.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

When I worked for Amtrak, their policy was that you could check a bag with a firearm, but you could not have it in carry on baggage or on your person. I don't know if it's still that way, I've been gone for about 4 years now.

BTW, when you are on an Amtrak train, you are considered to be on Federal Property. Their police force are sworn Federal police.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast