Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Cool Brand New Member, Escaping Maryland!

Well, my wife just completed her 30th year of service to a large private university in Baltimore, and thus qualified for the max. retirement package, so now we are leaving that urban paradise! I am so, so happy I could..well... something.

I agreed to relocate to her home region, Western Pennsylvania, (where her daddy was a steel worker at a rather large facility called the Homestead Works, on the south side of the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area), and so we are currently prepping our over-priced Baltimore-Washington Corridor house for sale, right now. God, I can't wait!!! I hate, hate, hate living here. I've lived all over the US, and only moved up to MD from Atlanta in 2012 when we got married, so that she could finish out her time on the job to make the retirement formula.

We are looking to moving to maybe Allegheny County, Westmoreland County or Butler County, or someplace like that. I've considered Beaver County, as well... Also, I have looked at extreme eastern Ohio (Ohio River Valley) if the taxes/laws might favor that, but I don't want to live in farmland. I want the topography! We'll see.

I've lived in PA before, for about a year, in 2004-2005, when I was a flight instructor in York. I loved flying over the mountains to Altoona and State College, etc. I'm really looking forward to living in the hills and valleys in the western region!

That being said, I never understood the township vs. city vs. county thing, but I'll figure it out. I'm currently looking at the property tax structure as well. And I already know what "yinz" means and what "hunky-cakes" are. I have found it somewhat problematic, however, that so many people in PA have yet to come to the realization that the Dallas Cowboys are, truly, in fact, America's Team. I'll see what I can do about that.

Looking forward to the forum...yeah, ba-by!

-Jabberwocky

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Brand New Member, Escaping Maryland!

Everybody knows the Ravens are Americas team, coming from a former Marylander myself!

Either way, glad to have yinz back!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

Welcome!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Welcome to PAFOA, it's nice to get some fresh meat in the door. It sounds like you have a good game plan and are going to find a good situation for yourself, congratulations. I'm Buckeye born but SEPA raised and fly a little, I talk about it more than I actually do it since gas prices went where they did. Lots of good information and entertainment here, hope you enjoy your stay.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Westmoreland County)

Welcome to the board, and Western PA. Your wife has good roots, although her dad would not recognize his old working grounds. Staying out of Pittsburgh proper, I am guessing will eventually be your decision, as the flaming libs have a strong hold on the city. Nothing new, it has always been a union city, but unions and politicians have truly perverted most of the good that unions here were designed to promote. The region as a whole though, is still pretty nice. Amazing things to discover, from art, heritage, sports and almost anything you can think of. The border counties of Westmoreland, Butler, Beaver, Washington, Fayette and others can be very rural in just a few minutes from the center of downtown Pittsburgh.

And you can be a Dallas Cowboy fan, just don't bring that Washington Capitals shit here.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    That being said, I never understood the township vs. city vs. county thing, but I'll figure it out. I'm currently looking at the property tax structure as well.
    Welcome to Freedom. Go into a gun shop, plop down your money, walk out with your purchase, no waiting period or permission slip needed.

As to the township/city/county thing, it's really not all that complicated. The Commonwealth is divided into 67 counties. As political creations of the state, the state can tell the counties what to do, with limitations. These counties are further subdivided into Townships (incorporated areas with a local governing board, Boroughs (incorporated smaller municipalities with a local governing body), and Cities (incorporated larger municipalities with a local governing body). The powers and authorities of each are spelled out in State Law. In most (possibly all?) boroughs, the mayor serves as a figurehead with the Borough Council President holding all the political clout. In cities, however, the mayor is the one who runs the show. Compounding this (or confusing this) is that you have Home Rule and Non-Home Rule governing bodies. With Home Rule, a charter has been established and they can govern how much and however they want (all spelled out in their charter) unless prohibited by state law. With Non-Home Rule, they can only govern as much as authorized by state law. Think of Home Rule as micro-managing and Non-Home Rule as do what's authorized but no more than that.

And that's it in a nutshell. In the case of Philadelphia County, the City of Philadelphia occupies the whole county, with no other subdivisions in the county. Some municipalities that you think are cities aren't simply because they haven't been incorporated as such.

(Allegheny County)

Mr. Gixxer, I have a brother in law up in Butler who is a big Ravens fan, as he remembers fondly his time in MD at Ft. Meade, when he was in the Army. The Colts were still there then, but he identifies with Maryland. I guess it was different then.

Thanks, Emptymag!

Walleye Hunter, when I was in primary flight training in 1985, 100LL avgas was $2.40 a gallon, and we were stunned. I hear ya. This fall I will be in the market for probably a C-172 or PA-28. We'll see...it would be nice if it was STC'ed for mogas!

VooDoo1, I've been to The Waterfront. One of my wife's sisters still lives in West Mifflin. Their father carried an M1 in the European Theater from late 1942 to the end of the war, and yeah, he and a bunch of other dudes would be aghast at the loss of the facility to chain retail stores. You can't stop time. And after Baltimore, I will stay as far from the urban crowd as I possibly can. I give less than a little wee poop about hockey now, but when I was an aviation major in North Dakota, the Big King Sierra sport was HOCKEY!!! The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!!! It was a religion there, like SEC football when I was instructing at Auburn University in Alabama.

Statkowski, thanks for the encapsulation. I'd forgotten about the Borough level. By the way, the Home Rule thing applies to some other states, as well, I think. Akin to that, in MD & VA we have independant cities. For instance, Baltimore Ghetto City is surrounded by Baltimore County, but, is not PART of the county. Virginia (another commonwealth state, whatever that means) also has independent-type cities. Fortunately,the MD gun laws haven't really affected me; I knew it sucked up here these days so I made sure I had what I wanted before I left ATL in February of 2012.

Jabberwocky, out!

(Allegheny County)

OK, we found a place to rent, whilst we look for property to buy. We are moving to a community called Glenshaw, just barely off of PA-8 north of Pittsburgh City. Suburban setting.

Looks like we'll be moving in April, if I can still rent a truck even with...The Virus!

Signed the lease on the place, so it's a done deal.

(Indiana County)

Again, welcome to Westylvania, home of the Whiskey Rebellion.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    OK, we found a place to rent, whilst we look for property to buy. We are moving to a community called Glenshaw, just barely off of PA-8 north of Pittsburgh City. Suburban setting.

Looks like we'll be moving in April, if I can still rent a truck even with...The Virus!

Signed the lease on the place, so it's a done deal.
    There's a Primanti brothers a little bit up north on 8, might as well get the induction ceremony out of the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast