Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Adams County)

Default Re: Brand New Member, Escaping Maryland!

Well I too am relatively new to PA. Retired after and moved to East Berlin in June 2019 from Frederick MD. First thing I did was get me CC permit. I think it was within a month, then purchased 2 carry pistols.
    Now granted, my wife was originally from Williamsport PA, but moved out to MD about 30 years ago. I was a relocated Long Island boy, moving to VA/MD in mid 1984. So glad to be here in PA and able to enjoy the 2A rights. Ride my new 2020 Harley without an helmet. What more could a guy want..
    Now if only we got all the Yankee games on my cable channel I would really be happy..

(Westmoreland County)

I grew up in Glenshaw, my mom, sister and brother all still live there off of Mt. Royal Blvd. just north of the big cemetery.

Glenshaw sits in Shaler Township, which has a large combined school district with Glenshaw, Etna, Millvale and Reserve Township. The route 8 corridor gets a little congested anymore, but the north suburbs still seem much less congested than the south hills. It’s a nice place to live, minimal crime issues. School taxes are pretty dear, though, you’ll get that shock when you price houses and look at how much of your mortgage payment goes to school taxes.

(Allegheny County)

Jabberwocky,

Welcome to western PA. If you order tv/internet from Verizon I hope I get the install

(Allegheny County)

Rayg5102, I am really enjoying being here! Wifey and I were out on the 1986 V65 Magna today, and it was a real gas to see dudes on bikes with no helmets! Ha! That's freedom...

VooDoo1VooDoo1, my neighbor has family up there off Mt. Royal (we just had a 6-feet-seperated meet and greet in the cul-de-sac), and he told me of the "combined schools"; I think he said it was in the early 1970's...BTW, the housing prices here are CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP compared to what I left, but I have heard about the school tax thing. Right now we are renting, closing on our MD house tomorrow morning (remotely), so we can take our time looking for property to buy.

Chessiedog1, I transferred my Fios account to the rental house here on Mark Twain Drive, and the ONT/CAT 5 was already installed. Works super-duper. I brought my router from MD so I don't even have to reconfigure the TV or anything...

So, guys, my first order of business was to order a ton of MD-prohibited magazine for guns...well, when I moved from ATL in 2012 I already had a bunch, but I wanted more (for put-aways). Yes, we could buy them across the border and drive them into MD, and it was legal, but I couldn't get internet prices on delivered items. Grrr. Fixed that now.

My next order of business is to get me an AK type. I'm leaning toward an Arsenal with a milled receiver, and I think maybe they can custom-configure the furniture and muzzle brake as I like. We'll see.

(But before that, I have to get my Yinzer Card...the Friday before last I went up to the PennDOT office in Allison Park with my passport, MD license and proofs of residency...and they were...CLOSED! CLOSED, I say! I can't wait to get my Yinzer Card...)

So there it is...

Jabberwocky

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Rayg5102, I am really enjoying being here! Wifey and I were out on the 1986 V65 Magna today, and it was a real gas to see dudes on bikes with no helmets! Ha! That's freedom...

VooDoo1VooDoo1, my neighbor has family up there off Mt. Royal (we just had a 6-feet-seperated meet and greet in the cul-de-sac), and he told me of the "combined schools"; I think he said it was in the early 1970's...BTW, the housing prices here are CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP compared to what I left, but I have heard about the school tax thing. Right now we are renting, closing on our MD house tomorrow morning (remotely), so we can take our time looking for property to buy.

Chessiedog1, I transferred my Fios account to the rental house here on Mark Twain Drive, and the ONT/CAT 5 was already installed. Works super-duper. I brought my router from MD so I don't even have to reconfigure the TV or anything...

So, guys, my first order of business was to order a ton of MD-prohibited magazine for guns...well, when I moved from ATL in 2012 I already had a bunch, but I wanted more (for put-aways). Yes, we could buy them across the border and drive them into MD, and it was legal, but I couldn't get internet prices on delivered items. Grrr. Fixed that now.

My next order of business is to get me an AK type. I'm leaning toward an Arsenal with a milled receiver, and I think maybe they can custom-configure the furniture and muzzle brake as I like. We'll see.

(But before that, I have to get my Yinzer Card...the Friday before last I went up to the PennDOT office in Allison Park with my passport, MD license and proofs of residency...and they were...CLOSED! CLOSED, I say! I can't wait to get my Yinzer Card...)

So there it is...

Jabberwocky
    You can cross state lines, but both Governors are toolbags, hence the state DMV office closures. Glad to hear you are settling in. You'll have to drive a little bit to get to a proper gun shop, but there are a few. I would recommend a ride up to Wexford/Cranberry to check out Keystone Shooting Center. If you like fine shotguns, just ride out Middle Road to its intersection with Harts Run Rd. There is a small plaza with Elite Shotguns. Great father/son owners and some real eye candy there. Down along Saxonburg Blvd. there, Shaler Villa VFD runs twice a year gun bashes for fundraising, its usually a nice raffle ticket. If you follow the PAFOA Group Shoot post, it looks like the June 20th shoot is, as of now, going to happen. Real low key, gathering to shoot and eat some bacon. or vice/versa.

(Erie County)

OK, we found a place to rent, whilst we look for property to buy. We are moving to a community called Glenshaw, just barely off of PA-8 north of Pittsburgh City. Suburban setting.

Looks like we'll be moving in April, if I can still rent a truck even with...The Virus!

Signed the lease on the place, so it's a done deal.

Welcome to a WPA. I've been back and forth between MD and Western PA over the last 40 years. I lived in Homestead while doing some higher-edumacating in the late 70's. Also spent many years out near PIT Airport. Last move from MD has landed me in my final spot in NWPA, Erie County.

Glenshaw is a good area. I had a girlfriend in Allison Park. Great motorcycling country once you cross the turnpike towards Butler.

Welcome to a cash & carry state, as well as shall-issue.

(Allegheny County)

Heads up.
    Group shoot coming up!
    You're more than welcome.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=360299
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I'll look at the date for the Group Shoot...is it just plinking, or do I bring one of my 30 cals for service-rifle-like competition?

Regrading the motorcycling, yes, Herself and I were up there (north of the turnpike) just yesterday, poking around the Butler Airport to see if there was hangar space available. I think I'll stop by Zelienople (spelling), too. We rode up 8 this time,and on the way back went out east cross-country to Sarver and then to 28 South back around to pick up 8 at Etna. It was a good ride, and we got to see our niece south of Butler, but I about needed a face-shield squeegee for the bugs by the time we got home...Pennsylvania bugs, the tough kind.

I have a question now about ranges around my parts, so I will post it in the Allegheny County section...

(Allegheny County)

I'll look at the date for the Group Shoot...is it just plinking, or do I bring one of my 30 cals for service-rifle-like competition?

Regrading the motorcycling, yes, Herself and I were up there (north of the turnpike) just yesterday, poking around the Butler Airport to see if there was hangar space available. I think I'll stop by Zelienople (spelling), too. We rode up 8 this time,and on the way back went out east cross-country to Sarver and then to 28 South back around to pick up 8 at Etna. It was a good ride, and we got to see our niece south of Butler, but I about needed a face-shield squeegee for the bugs by the time we got home...Pennsylvania bugs, the tough kind.

I have a question now about ranges around my parts, so I will post it in the Allegheny County section...
    The PAFOA group shoots are simply get-togethers for forum members where we shoot whatever we bring and whatever someone puts in our hands to shoot.
    There's a "main range" with targets set up for shooting rifles, shotguns, and handguns. It's only about 35 yards, so for rifle shooting, you aren't really being "challenged", but it's the only part of the club where we can shoot all sorts of things - the 300 yd rifle range is "rifles only".
    Mostly people are just shooting to try things out - it's not a competition at all.
    There's usually a bay set up with steel to shoot with handguns and pistol cal carbines.

That said, Pennlineman always sets up a "side shoot" that IS an informal competition. Info about this month's offering is in the first few posts.

We have always made bacon in the morning - right there at the pavilion - it's tradition. Not sure how that will play out this time with all the pandemic crap.

Any other questions, feel free to post in the group shoot thread. Hope you can make it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12