Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Ulrtasonic Advice

Here's a good article that should help information wise when choosing an ultrasonic cleaner also Grizzly industrial has a lot of good options.

https://sonicsoak.com/blogs/articles...eaning-machine

https://www.grizzly.com/ultrasonic-cleaners

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Pick the biggest one you think you'll use and then go up 50%. I bought a 3qt with On, Timer, and heat - if I'd known everything I'd use it for, I would have bought a 5-6qt with emphasis on the longest dimension of the unit, preferably about 18".
    Sound advice, but unfortunately I do not have $3000 for the one I would then purchase...

Looks like a few of you are pretty happy with the Harbor Freight model, so that will certainly warrant a good looking at. Being a somewhat mechanical person by trade, I just have a hard time taking anything from that store seriously. I also know how expensive shopping by a name can be, and doesn't always carry with it any certainty as to the quality. In this case, the Lyman model is around $140, where the Harbor Freight model is around $80, and they look very similar, as if they might actually be the same machine under a few aesthetic differences? Thank you for that feedback...

As to my aluminum question, I guess it is either a myth, or misunderstanding, perpetuated by your normal online channels of panic. I would go with the latter since I have seen AR's and other aluminum parts being cleaned in ultrasonics. Looks like it could have been a problem at one point, but was easily remedied by a better understanding of frequencies and proper Ph balance? Thank you again for your advice and guidance on that one!

After looking at the Grizzly web sight, which I had long ago forgotten all about until you guys just reminded me, I found something along the lines of what I want to build up to...

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bal...9-Liter/BE1167

Again, start with something more economical, and work my way up to the bigger toys...
    Last edited by marstev; September 8th, 2019 at 12:32 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marstev View Post
    Sound advice, but unfortunately I do not have $3000 for the one I would then purchase...

Looks like a few of you are pretty happy with the Harbor Freight model, so that will certainly warrant a good looking at. Being a somewhat mechanical person by trade, I just have a hard time taking anything from that store seriously. I also know how expensive shopping by a name can be, and doesn't always carry with it any certainty as to the quality. In this case, the Lyman model is around $140, where the Harbor Freight model is around $80, and they look very similar, as if they might actually be the same machine under a few aesthetic differences? Thank you for that feedback...

As to my aluminum question, I guess it is either a myth, or misunderstanding, perpetuated by your normal online channels of panic. I would go with the latter since I have seen AR's and other aluminum parts being cleaned in ultrasonics. Looks like it could have been a problem at one point, but was easily remedied by a better understanding of frequencies and proper Ph balance? Thank you again for your advice and guidance on that one!

After looking at the Grizzly web sight, which I had long ago forgotten all about until you guys just reminded me, I found something along the lines of what I want to build up to...

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bal...9-Liter/BE1167

Again, start with something more economical, and work my way up to the bigger toys...
    From what I have read aluminum is used to check if your setup is correct. If it quickly pops holes in the foil and tears it up you are good to go. Aluminum is soft and the bubbles are like little detonations. Same way ping wrecks engines.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    From what I have read aluminum is used to check if your setup is correct. If it quickly pops holes in the foil and tears it up you are good to go. Aluminum is soft and the bubbles are like little detonations. Same way ping wrecks engines.
    Actually, my original question wasn't about the foil, but something to the effect the cavitation has on aluminum alloy at a molecular level? In one Youtube video I saw, the guy was very insistent as to "NEVER NEVER NEVER" put aluminum parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, and that wasn't the first time I had heard something along those lines. Think it was just one of those old-wives tails as I have seen time and again examples of using ultrasonics to not only clean aluminum gun parts, but automotive parts as well. That's why I think I can conclude, for now anyway, that some of the issues of the past were more about the follies of using the wrong cleaning compound, and possibly frequency issues with earlier generation machines.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    When cleaning aluminum you need to absolutely avoid alkaline (high pH) cleaning solutions, and strong acid (low pH) solutions. Acids will remove oxides, and anodizing is aluminum oxide. Standard commercial aluminum cleaners are mildly acidic to intentionally remove dulling aluminum oxide and make the component bright again. Unfortunately they remove anodizing.

Stick to cleaners that have a pH between 5 and 8, diluted and ready for use. Invest in some pH test strips (litmus paper) in both acid and alkaline ranges to check your solutions. It's very inexpensive.

Noah
    Do you have any recommendations on brands of fluid to use? I just ordered a 2L cleaner with heat this evening. Mostly I'll be using it to clean small engine parts. Lots of aluminum carbs out there. I don't want to dissolve them.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

I have the Hornady "Hot Tub" cleaner and their cleaning solution and it does all my handguns, rifles, and I drop my suppressor and baffles in it routinely with no issues. Bonus is that my wife bought it for me, but I'd definitely not hesitate to recommend it!
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(York County)

Mine is about 24" x 12" x 8" deep. I bought it to clean motorcycle parts (the size was specifically selected so I could fit a 'bank' of four carbs in it), but it works great for firearms. Got it off Amazon a couple years back.

My 'cleaning solution' is basically 10 parts water to 1 part Zep "citrus degreaser". I've also used a similar 10/1 ratio of Simple Green "concentrated".

I typically run it at 60 degrees celsius. I -have- noticed that non-ferrous (e.g. aluminum) parts will darken in that if run a long time (30 minutes+) but also that about 95% of the 'darkening' goes away once they cool down.

I strip and clean my guns in it regularly with no adverse effects that I've noted.
    DGAF

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marstev View Post
    Actually, my original question wasn't about the foil, but something to the effect the cavitation has on aluminum alloy at a molecular level? In one Youtube video I saw, the guy was very insistent as to "NEVER NEVER NEVER" put aluminum parts in an ultrasonic cleaner, and that wasn't the first time I had heard something along those lines. Think it was just one of those old-wives tails as I have seen time and again examples of using ultrasonics to not only clean aluminum gun parts, but automotive parts as well. That's why I think I can conclude, for now anyway, that some of the issues of the past were more about the follies of using the wrong cleaning compound, and possibly frequency issues with earlier generation machines.
    Length of time.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12