Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Keep empty shell in pump?

Ive always kept an empty shell in my semi for the pin to rest on, with my first pump the slide is of course loose when the pin is pulled so while the pin does rest i have a wiggily slide in the case.

Should I just keep the hammer locked back or let the slide lose with a resting pin?
    Last edited by Djnardu; October 15th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Keep empty shell in pump?

with my pump shotgun i just always keep an empty chamber and a full tube.... unlike other defensive guns that i carry +1.... with a shotgun i think half the effect is the SOUND of racking a shell....

...you COULD put a snap cap in, but i'm not worried about dry firing my shotty so i just forgo the snap cap and pull the trigger to be ready for a live chambering.

(Luzerne County)

I have heard it both ways. I have also heard you can just pull the trigger on the empty chamber.

I guess it is just up to personal preference. I would use a snap cap before I would use an empty or fired shell.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    with my pump shotgun i just always keep an empty chamber and a full tube.... unlike other defensive guns that i carry +1....
    +1

Have a nice day!

(Chester County)

its a much larger deterrent when there is a life round and you shoot it at the person who you are using deadly force upon. it should be loaded if it is intended to be a personal defensive weapon.. you arent trying to "scare" people, you are trying to save your life from grave harm, sounds dont do that, entry wounds do. you might as well keep a tape recorder with the recording of the sound of a round being chambered in a shotgun.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by c.sander View Post
    its a much larger deterrent when there is a life round and you shoot it at the person who you are using deadly force upon. it should be loaded if it is intended to be a personal defensive weapon.. you arent trying to "scare" people, you are trying to save your life from grave harm, sounds dont do that, entry wounds do. you might as well keep a tape recorder with the recording of the sound of a round being chambered in a shotgun.
    sorry, but that's not how i feel about it.

if someone is breaking in to loot my home, i'd rather scare the person off than kill them, sorry.

...and if it escalates to feeling my LIFE threatened, i can escalate; quickly (which is not an option with a 'tape recorder')

the tape recorder argument is specious IMO

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    sorry, but that's not how i feel about it.

if someone is breaking in to loot my home, i'd rather scare the person off than kill them, sorry.

...and if it escalates to feeling my LIFE threatened, i can escalate; quickly (which is not an option with a 'tape recorder')

the tape recorder argument is specious IMO
    IANAL
    if your life is not threatened in pennsylvania you have NO business racking the pump on your shotgun and presenting it to them, you either have cause for deadly force, or you do not and if you do present a firearm without intent to shoot, you could very well be shot yourself.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by c.sander View Post
    IANAL
    if your life is not threatened in pennsylvania you have NO business racking the pump on your shotgun and presenting it to them, you either have cause for deadly force, or you do not and if you do present a firearm without intent to shoot, you could very well be shot yourself.
    im pretty sure that under pa castle doctorine, breaking into your house counts as an immedate threat to your life
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

Quote Originally Posted by eells View Post
    im pretty sure that under pa castle doctorine, breaking into your house counts as an immedate threat to your life
    The Castle Doctrine means that when confronted with an extrinsic threat to your life in the home, you have no duty to retreat. That's all it means, it doesn't negate the need to prove the threat. I suppose that a particular statute could add the presumption of a threat if someone broke in, but that's not part of the Castle Doctrine at all, or the "Stand Your Ground" concept, either.

If an unarmed man broke in and you killed him, you'd want to do some fancy explanations after talking with your lawyer, because the burden is generally on you to articulate your reasonable fear of death or serious maiming.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by eells View Post
    Only under the true old English common law practice and a few individual state's perception of Castle Doctrine is there an assumption that the intruder is there to do harm negating the need for actual threat.

PA's current law and the proposed bill that was before legislature still requires the actual threat or for a felony to be committed within the dwelling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast