Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Mag + Light pouch

I have really taken to carrying the 1911.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...field-trp.html

Love it

I would like to find a nice pouch for a small light and spare mag, I have seen some on midway that looked decent. I like to ask around a bit before making a decision.

I would lean personally towards leather, but I would like to hear what some of you use and any suggestions.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Mag + Light pouch

Personally, I use seperate pouches so that I can position them where they are most comfortable for me. Mags usually at 10 o'clock, light at 8.
    I also use pouches that I can take on and off without having to take the belt off, just for ease of use.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I would like to find a nice pouch for a small light and spare mag, I have seen some on midway that looked decent. I like to ask around a bit before making a decision.

I would lean personally towards leather, but I would like to hear what some of you use and any suggestions.
    The idea of a dual carrier is appealing, but I've tried several, and there are problems.

The kydex carriers are the most space-efficient, but unless the mag slot and the light slot have separate tension adjustments, one will always be too tight. But then the ones with separate adjustments take up more belt line real estate, since you need room for the adjustment screws. Then you're approaching a "bat belt."

Leather dual carriers have the problem where, when you tighten the dual pouch on your belt, the unit now takes a slightly circular shape (i.e., your waistline), and that causes the light carrier to bind up and then it's a strain to get the light out. The better units compensate a bit for that. However, all lens-up kydex carriers hold too tight as well.

After buying and selling several styles, what I use now is the Rusty Sherrick horsehide model:

http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/other%2...gandflash.html

...but again, the light is held pretty tightly and I'm sure I'd want to drag it out in a hurry. Really, what I end up doing is just using a kydex single mag carrier, then dropping the Surefire (with belt clip) into a front pocket. But that too is imperfect: when I get money out of that pocket, sometimes the light comes off and falls to the floor.

So I have no ideal solution.

ETA: the only light carrier I've ever seen that has the right amount of tension is the lens-down Sidearmor, which is springloaded. But that's a relatively bulky unit, so nothing is free.
    Last edited by dgg9; October 14th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Go with single pouches for each for greater flexibility.

(Luzerne County)

I too prefer two singe pouches.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

I'm among the two separate carriers crowd. Easier for me to remember which item my hand will find when I reach for it. Having the spare mag, and the light in the same carrier could lead to reaching for a light and coming up with a magazine or vise-versa.

Here's what I've been using to tote a SureFire G2 around with me.

(Crawford County)

I normally prefer singles, but i do have a double mag pouch i wear above the right rear pocket. I bought a Tuck this holster with a mag pouch, and it was like carrying a 2x12 iwb. It might be an option for a larger waisted person.