Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default GUNFIGHT AT THE LIBERTY BELL?

This is written under Opinion except no one claimed credit for their opinion and at best their uniformed opinion is all wrong with reality....

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/30734994.html

GUNFIGHT AT THE LIBERTY BELL?

NEW LAW WILL SOON ALLOW GUNS IN STATE AND FEDERAL PARKS

IN THEIR shortened session that ended Wednesday, Harrisburg lawmakers managed to make the world safe for puppies but not for uninsured people, people in debt, or people wanting to visit Independence Park without the threat of being shot.

While the world's economy continues to collapse - brought about by lack of regulation over unscrupulous lenders - our state lawmakers opened up the floodgates that would allow for-profit credit-counseling firms into the state.

Meanwhile, they managed to drop the ball on a health-insurance package that would have provided coverage for thousands of uninsured Pennsylvanians. They were more concerned with regulating puppy mills - certainly a good cause, but a questionable priority with so many other critical issues on a shortened schedule.

And then, just because this wasn't bad enough, they also passed a bill described as a "tough crime measure." Sure, a few aspects of a new gun measure are important. One would lengthen the statute of limitations on straw purchases of guns. Another calls for a 20-year mandatory minimum sentence for anyone who fires a gun at a police officer.

This is a welcome law. Too many officers in this city have paid the ultimate sacrifice.

But those good aspects of the bill seems to be the shiny objects meant to distract us from the NRA-laced lard in the rest of the bill. For example: this law allows people in the state to carry a gun into and around a state park. And because this coincides with a recent act of Congress about to become law that allows people to tote guns into federal parks if they're in a state that allows guns in state parks, we can now look forward to armed tourists wandering around the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and other federal parks in the state.

What's next? Bring-your-gun-to-work day?

Another provision provides for a new emergency gun license that would grant applicants the right to carry a concealed weapon for 90 days if they fear for they safety. Sheriffs will be able to issue temporary licenses to carry a concealed weapon. Those receiving licenses must be eligible to possess a firearm, but the background checks will be expedited.

This is supposed to be helping domestic-abuse victims, but the PA. Coalition Against Domestic Violence opposed the bill, fearing that people will resort to violence instead of filing protection orders.

We see this as a back door way to increase the gun-toting population. No one will be monitoring those temporary permits when they expire.

Meanwhile, the Legislature balked at pushing for mandatory reporting of lost and stolen guns.

Why should people be able to carry guns into parks when they can't carry them into the Statehouse? You may as well ask why lawmakers have gold-plated health-care coverage-many for life - while so many have none.

But they're no longer in Harrisburg to answer that. They've broken early to campaign for re-election. *

(Beaver County)

Default Re: GUNFIGHT AT THE LIBERTY BELL?

we can now look forward to armed tourists wandering around the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and other federal parks in the state.
    Finally! Liberty, at, or near, the Liberty Bell!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Lehigh County)

I love all the comments left by others at the bottom of the page. Although most people probably dont scroll down and read them........
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Westmoreland County)

I just posted a comment...

The OP is certainly entitled to an opinion, but please...know the facts before you spew your misinformed ideas upon the rest of the world! If you ever get shot while looking at the Liberty Bell, I can almost guarantee that it will probably be from a drug crazed gang banger with a stolen gun that your liberal buddies just released from jail despite 3 prior offenses! Legally owned guns are not the cause of your fears and nightmares...and more gun laws are not the answer either. The gun laws that are already in place need to be enforced and violent criminals need to stay in jail or be dispatched as per capital law. I'd go one further and say that you would be lucky to have a citizen with a legally owned firearm save you or your family from said crazed gang banger. If you don't respect the freedoms that the US Constitution give you, then you don't deserve them either. As a matter of fact, what is you name and address? I put a sign on my door directing any armed robbers to your house because you are unarmed! After all, who wouldn't want to rob you? Guaranteed not to get shot, and you might even buy them dinner afterwards! Have a nice life...if there is one left after Obama.
    I couldn't resist! I just can't stand the antigun mentality!

(Montgomery County)

Why should people be able to carry guns into parks when they can't carry them into the Statehouse?
    I don't recall ever seeing a law banning guns in the statehouse?

(Beaver County)

Shh! That'll be in the next bill!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Montgomery County)

I'm confused?

I think we're allowed to carry in the statehouse?

Maybe I'm wrong.

Also I didn't find the provision for allowing carry in state parks?
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/...r=1845&pn=4528

Found it

(II) A POLICE REPORT.
    5 (m.2) Inconsistent provisions.--Notwithstanding the
    6 provisions of section 7506 (relating to violation of rules
    7 regarding conduct on Commonwealth property), 75 Pa.C.S. § 7727
    8 (relating to additional limitations on operation), or the act of
    9 June 28, 1995 (P.L.89, No.18), known as the Conservation and
    10 Natural Resources Act, and regulations promulgated under that
    11 act, a firearm may be carried as provided in subsection (a) by:
    12 (1) a law enforcement officer whose current
    13 identification as a law enforcement officer shall be
    14 construed as a valid license to carry a firearm; or
    15 (2) any licensee.
    Last edited by whoshisface; October 14th, 2008 at 12:21 PM.

God I am SO SICK of these mindless whiny liberal sheep spewing out this fear mongering CRAP!

my comment just posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that seemingly intelligent people can spew such nonsensical tripe when the topic of gun rights comes into play. The analogy that allowing licensed people to carry weapons into parks puts people at risk of further crime is ludicrous at best. We need only look to our eastern neighbor, New Jersey, which has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country to see that limitations on law abiding citizens literally have nothing to do with crime rates. Just take a walk down the streets of Newark, Trenton or Jersey City any given evening and then lets talk about preventing law abiding citizens from protecting themselves.

Does anyone really believe for one second that a criminal, buying an illegal gun off the street thinks about the laws regarding where and when a gun can be carried? Seriously now, can anyone even say that sentence with a straight face? They call these people criminals for a reason, they have no regard for the law, any law.

But these liberal 'the state will protect you' nutcases just keep spewing the propaganda, attempting to scare the masses into believing no one but the 'authorities' can protect them. They will vomit diatribe after diatribe on how all guns are bad right up to the day they become a helpless victim. I for one will never be a helpless victim and neither will anyone in my family and furthermore I will never allow one of these liberal talking heads force myself or my family to be victims.

(Westmoreland County)

Mine still hasn't posted? I just re submitted it...

(Chester County)

I came in here expecting an actual gunfight and am severely dissapointed.
    Great job!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast