Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Lost my little buddy today, sorry need to vent

Man it has been a BAD day here. My 'little buddy' Goofy ... the cat that adopted the 'cat hater' (me) died today (actually we had to put him down)

He had a problem starting last November when he went into renal failure, he spent a week in the hospital (And $3k I might add) and then was sent home with instructions to give him fluids every day (which we did).

All was fine until last Friday when all of a sudden he took a turn for the worse .. the vet had told me this would happen, he just didn't know when. In 3 days he went from his normal self to almost comatose and we had to make a decision, not a pretty one but we couldn't stand to see him suffering.

So here's to my little buddy, he taught me that I really didn't hate cats .. especially not cool funny ones like him. He will be missed more than I can say ... coffee in the morning in front of my computer will not be the same for my wife or myself ever again.

It just never ceases to amaze me how freaking attached you can get to these little furry friends!

We had bought 6 cases of the moist food he like, we intend to donate that to the local SPCA to help other kitties that need help ... in his name for the 4 years of love we got from him.

Sorry just had to let it out somehow!
    Last edited by dc dalton; October 13th, 2008 at 11:11 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Lost my little buddy today, sorry need to vent

DC,
    I'm sorry for your loss. I know the terrible feeling all too well.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

Man I feel for you. We have a great cat ourselves, and I know what you mean. I used to not like cats, but our cat changed that. He is still only a year old, but I dread the day he passes.

My prayers are with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    DC,
    I'm sorry for your loss. I know the terrible feeling all too well.
    Thanks, we have spent all day enduring this and now this evening it is hitting me hard. I'm sorry to be so emotional but a day of dealing with this and burying him has really gotten to me.

I have had people say "it's new baby time" BUT I don't think I can do that quite yet. We have two dogs and (now) one cat (goofy's brother Damian) and I just don't think I am up to it quite yet ... I have lost many pets (mainly my ferrets) but this one was really tough ... he was a really neat cat, he looked at me and my 'I don't like cats' when he was a kitten (my wife rescued them from our apple tree in the back yard where they were born) and said 'I see right through your crap and I know you really do like me' and because it was the first cat i really cared about its gonna be tough to even think about replacing him (like that would ever happen).

I drove him to the vet because the wife couldn't do it (like I blame her) .. I wrapped him in towel and cradled him in my arm the whole drive down there .. god DAMN that was one of the toughest drives I have ever made! Told him mommy and daddy loved him, we would never forget him and he would always be 'my little buddy' ... kissed his head goodbye when they took him in (I couldn't go in with him) and walked out to the parking lot .... and yes cried like a baby.

Goofy was something special .. he got his name because as a kitten he decided to run straight for a wall and he didn't stop until his skull hurt ... he just didn't get the fact the wall was stronger than his head. He made me laugh, he curled up with me when I napped, he loved to sit in my lap while I drank my morning coffee even though he knew I didn't want to be bothered at that time of the morning ... god damn I miss him already.

I just cant get it through my thick skull how much these furry little critters make so much of a difference in our lives .. I know Goofy made one hell of a difference in mine!

(Delaware County)

yeah, it's rough....

my Mom just had to put her Dog down she had for 7 or 8 years..little prick neighbors son kept teasing the dog and he'd jump the fence (yes, he cleared the fence) and she can't afford for him to bite anyone so we had to make the choice to put him down.....he bit up my sister pretty bad when she went to get him because he was scared he would get beat badly like his previous owner would do to him so he attacked her and ripped up her arm pretty good...

sad sad day...

sorry for the loss...I too like cats....I just like the extra company and pets are so loving and loyal to their owners..it's an amazing feeling....we have an indoor/outdoor cat who is probably about 15 years old now who will greet you at your car door and/or on the front steps when you get home from work and such...it's a good feeling.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Armstrong County)

Sorry to hear of your loss.
    Be strong, he will never really leave you as he's still there in memories.
    Ed
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

My deepest sympathies.

I know how hard it is to loose a good friend.
    Eventually the hurt will subside and you will remember him fondly coupled with a great big chuckle.
    Always cherish the time you had together. He enriched your life as i'm sure you did his.

Again, my deepest sympathies.

(Philadelphia County)

Hey brother,

I am very sorry for your loss.
    The attachment that you have with a pet can't be explained.
    Some people just look at them as pets, but I look at them as family members, and it hurts to lose a family member.
    I have a dog, she is a year old, and she is a part of my family.
    I am an animal lover, and it especially breaks my heart to see one suffer.

Again, I am sorry
    Hang in there

Ronnie,
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

WOW, I guess tonight was the pinnacle of our sorrow. Chris (Tootie) hasn't seen this thread yet but we both thank all of you for the love and support you have shown .. to say the least it has been a VERY sad day in the Dalton home.

Thanks for the support and understanding you have shown .. it means so much to both of us to be able to express our grief and have it understood.

I just 'forced' Chris to go to bed, even though she didn't want to (another teary moment) but I know (as has been said) that this too shall pass and we will remember Goofy for the 4 years of unequivocal love he gave us ... something anyone blessed enough to live through will understand.

thanks to all of you from the bottom of our hearts ... I'm going to try and get some sleep now.

DC Dalton, I'm sorry to hear that you had to loose goofy. My prayers and thoughts will be with you and your family, and like others have said, it will get better. Don't feel rushed or pressured to get a new baby, it sounds like you got some to keep you company still. When you feel that it is time, I think you'll follow through with what you'd like to do, otherwise just enjoy who you have and remember your loving pal. I too was surprised, when I had to put my dog down a while back, the support was a lot more than I expected. I hope that you and your family get to feeling better, and my heart goes out to you buddy. I just got to read the post about how he got his name and that's hilarious. It sounds like goofy was quite a character. Just rest assured that you will never forget him, and that you did the right thing for your friend; you gave him the only thing that you could give, mercy, while he gave you all that he could give, his love. I'm sorry that you couldn't go in with him, I know that I have liked those last moments to try to comfort my animals in their finals moments; I don't know if it makes it easier, but it definitely leaves closure. I feel for you buddy, sorry.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; October 14th, 2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: added some

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast